Air Gun for Dispatching Raccoons?

I have a RWS air rifle that would easily dispatch a raccoon. The air rifle is louder than my .22 rimfire with CCI CB rounds. Here in IL the RWS is considered a 'firearm' because it fires pellets at over 750 fps so there's no advantage to using it over the .22 rimfire.

Quote:
Now here`s a great solution for ya. The .22 with .22 CB Shorts is definately quieter than an air rifle and much more suited to the job. Best used in a bolt action gun. Been trapping and shooting coons, etc. for years with these CB Shorts and never had a neighbor even notice. Sounds like a twig snapping. And, a whole lot cheaper than a $400 air rifle.........Pop

Quote:
Now here`s a great solution for ya. The .22 with .22 CB Shorts is definately quieter than an air rifle and much more suited to the job. Best used in a bolt action gun. Been trapping and shooting coons, etc. for years with these CB Shorts and never had a neighbor even notice. Sounds like a twig snapping. And, a whole lot cheaper than a $400 air rifle.........Pop

using my ruger mk IV i never heard the action work until I used this type of shell the gun makes more noise then the shell going off
smile.png

I live where I can shoot them, so I don't have your problem. Another option for you, seeings how the Raccoon can be traped in a cage. Is once the Raccoon is in the cage, you can drowned them by placing the coon and trap in a body of water.

Walmart, Beeman interchangeable barrel (22/177) .22-850 fps/177-1000 fps, with good Beeman scope, around $100. I use nothing but the .22 barrel and aim at eye, ear or heart on coons. Works for me. I have also used an old single shot 22 rifle with CB caps - it may be quieter than the air rifle. I swear you hear the firing pin hit the rim. I believe the CB cap has a much heavier projectile for greater penetration.

I had that walmart beeman interchangable barrel gun.It was decent.Pretty darn heavy gun too. My neighbors were freaking everytime I went outside with the gun,so I ended up taking it back.Silly thing is I heard some of my neighbors HAVE guns themselves.Guess you can have them but not shot them...in the yard.Grrrrrrr city living.

Quote:
you are probably going to find most localities will treat an air rifle as a firearm be careful do not get caught and above all do not post what you are about to do on a public forum our state vet reads our state chicken board and our game wardens read our hunting and trapping boards
smile.png
I shoot a lot of critters year round for a coon/fox size animal vand smaller I would use nothing smaller then a .22 short for coyotes and up close in ( <50 Yards) a .22 magnum works good there are lots of ways to kill things quietly I dispatch furbearers/nuisance animals in town a lot of days

X2

my rws diana 34p is a powerful machine and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. plus i dont' need to go through bureaucratic red tape and licensing/fingerprinting to use it either, which is real nice--plus the need to renew the license every x no. of years.

Back
Top Bottom