Air Gun for Dispatching Raccoons?

Quote:
you are probably going to find most localities will treat an air rifle as a firearm be careful do not get caught and above all do not post what you are about to do on a public forum our state vet reads our state chicken board and our game wardens read our hunting and trapping boards
smile.png
I shoot a lot of critters year round for a coon/fox size animal vand smaller I would use nothing smaller then a .22 short for coyotes and up close in ( <50 Yards) a .22 magnum works good there are lots of ways to kill things quietly I dispatch furbearers/nuisance animals in town a lot of days

X2

my rws diana 34p is a powerful machine and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. plus i dont' need to go through bureaucratic red tape and licensing/fingerprinting to use it either, which is real nice--plus the need to renew the license every x no. of years.

If you have a real .22 rifle simply place a baby bottle nipple over the barrel, put the raccoon in your sights and fire away. Not one of your neighbors will know anything every happened. We have a stray cat problem where I live - nto suppose to discharge a firearm in my city either. A cop gave me the suggestion of using the nipple over the end of the barrel. No one hears a thing. Problem solved!

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a series of Batman comics called The Long Halloween, the killer silences his gun by using a baby bottle nipple. How well would that work in real life? I'll guess there will still be a sound because apparently you can't silence a gun one-hundred percent. Any gun nuts want to help out the clueless?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=39;t=000984

Improvising a "silencer" is a Federal felony.

Add to that the fact that due to simple physics, the nipple will simply most likely blow off the end of the gun when fired, and will make as much noise as if it wasn't there at all

http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles/silencers/

This is the definition of a silencer contained in U.S. Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, Subsection 922:

(24) The terms "Firearm Silencer" and "Firearm Muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Further wording in the Code defines the silencer to be a firearm that must be serial-numbered and controlled.
The use of a silencer in a crime can add penalties to the punishment for that crime, and the possession of an unregistered or unserial-numbered (i.e., homemade) silencer are both crimes by themselves.​

Quote:
quote:
In a series of Batman comics called The Long Halloween, the killer silences his gun by using a baby bottle nipple. How well would that work in real life? I'll guess there will still be a sound because apparently you can't silence a gun one-hundred percent. Any gun nuts want to help out the clueless?

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=39;t=000984

Improvising a "silencer" is a Federal felony.

Add to that the fact that due to simple physics, the nipple will simply most likely blow off the end of the gun when fired, and will make as much noise as if it wasn't there at all

http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles/silencers/

This is the definition of a silencer contained in U.S. Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44, Subsection 922:

(24) The terms "Firearm Silencer" and "Firearm Muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Further wording in the Code defines the silencer to be a firearm that must be serial-numbered and controlled.
The use of a silencer in a crime can add penalties to the punishment for that crime, and the possession of an unregistered or unserial-numbered (i.e., homemade) silencer are both crimes by themselves.

I have seen the end of a shotgun peeled back because of excessive pressure dangerous to the user pressure, this sounds like the same reason you do not shoot a gun with dirt in the barrel , anything in the barrel of a gun will most days damage the gun and the user​

You will pay dearly for a hunting model air rifle for simply dispatching a trapped coon. Bear foot has a good idea for dispatching or it could be as simple as a tarp over the trap and pump in the exhaust. You could also drown it in a big bucket or a handy pool too

Quote:
Sorry I can't suggest what kind of air gun that would work, but I am thinking it would have to be really powerful. I use a .22 rifle and at point blank (right into their head/brain) it usually takes three shots. One never kills it. I have shot into the side of the head, the back, front, and it always takes more than one shot. The barrel is only a couple inches away when I shoot. I catch them in live traps, put the barrel of the rifle through the wire openings and shoot directly into the head.

i am not following this thread, but i should add that:

the fox
aprophet
lollipop
woodmort

(not necessarily in that order)

are more reliable guides than i am in this matter.

Back
Top Bottom