ALABAMA!!

I was wondering if your duck eggs hatched or not. Didn't realize she had so many under her. That's a lot of ducklings. Congrats

I got my very first double yolker today! She's only been laying for 2 months
1f60a.png

Wisher how are your SC doing?

They are coming along, thanks for asking. I had a dog get in and kill all the pullets from my first two months of hatching. Of course, the pen full of the first cockerels was fine. There are three or four out of that dozen that are promising, so I have high hopes for the hundred or so more that are still chicks. I have also hatched a good number of Golden Campines from one gold hen that I have and I'm thinking of keeping a couple of trios of those. They are so pretty. I am also thinking of selling some if anyone really wants them. Most will go to my Hispanic friends.

Quote: I am so sorry about your poulets. My gosh I know that hurt.
Hopefully it won't set you back to far. I guess I did not realize you also had a GC. I'm sure they will be beautiful birds!
I would love to see some pics if you have some to share. :)

I have sold most of what I had. I still have a few turkey poults but I plan on growing some out for fall for us and anyone that might want some. My project birds are coming along good. I will be working with them for a couple of years I found a partner to help and keep track of the lines and breeding.

Quote:

I have sold most of what I had. I still have a few turkey poults but I plan on growing some out for fall for us and anyone that might want some. My project birds are coming along good. I will be working with them for a couple of years I found a partner to help and keep track of the lines and breeding.

What are your project birds? I thought you had given up everything but the turkeys and a small egg flock. I should pay closer attention and keep up better! The Golden Campines all came from the combination of one gold hen that my Texas partner gave me and a rooster (that has to be carrying the gold gene) that I got from a breeder in Massachusetts. I thought I would only get gold pullets from her eggs, and breeding those hens to my best silver cock would yield silver offspring. When I started getting gold cockerels (!) I knew the cock had recessive gold genes. Now that I have both gold males and females, I may start a side line of those, just because they are pretty. I think it will help with the patience issue as the golds are much better in type and markings than the silvers and I could take some birds to show that might actually get some recognition.
One of my new layers has been putting out a few double yolkers. Adorable tiny little yolks
lol.png
the double yolkers are still smaller than a hen egg.

One of mine?

Please someone tell me the price on these is a mistake. $25. For day old straight run chicks... Am i missing something with the avian flu? Or are the jublees something laying gold eggs? If it is i quitting my day job today.

http://bham.craigslist.org/grd/5018454158.html

I love double yoked eggs.

Those Jubilee Orps were the "chicken craze" a few years back. Like the "Marans craze," they were a super hot item that people wanted and were willing to pay for. Supply and demand pushed the price up and people starting raising all they could with little or no attention to standard. Consumers found they were paying top dollar for sub-standard quality and backed off, lowering the price. Now, if they are winning, show quality stock, and I wanted to breed and show them, and needed starter stock, I would pay that....maybe not for chicks, but for young breeders.

It's like my Daddy always told me, an item is worth what someone will pay for it. I hope the seller gets that for them........and I hope the buyer feels he got his money's worth! But, it won't be me.

Quote:

What are your project birds? I thought you had given up everything but the turkeys and a small egg flock. I should pay closer attention and keep up better! The Golden Campines all came from the combination of one gold hen that my Texas partner gave me and a rooster (that has to be carrying the gold gene) that I got from a breeder in Massachusetts. I thought I would only get gold pullets from her eggs, and breeding those hens to my best silver cock would yield silver offspring. When I started getting gold cockerels (!) I knew the cock had recessive gold genes. Now that I have both gold males and females, I may start a side line of those, just because they are pretty. I think it will help with the patience issue as the golds are much better in type and markings than the silvers and I could take some birds to show that might actually get some recognition.

It sounds like you have a great support network and getting things done. What a bonus getting the SC going. Patience is a virtue with breeding.

I did give up everything but my turkey. I hope next year I can show some pics.

Back
Top Bottom