All Gone

JackE

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 26, 2010
North Eastern Md.
I got home from work today to find chicken feathers all around the property. All of my hens, 3 Buff Orps, 3 Wyandottes, 2 Barred rocks, Except 1 Buff Orp and my rooster, GONE. I searched all over, into the woods. I found a feather pile back in the trees, a little blood, and that's it. I have'nt found nothing else, Not even a foot. What could have done such a thing? I first thought that maybe a dog, or a couple of dogs. But from what I understand of a dog attack, They don't take the birds away, They just kill them and leave them lay. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm sick about this.
Jack

No idea, just.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss -- that must be devastating to lose them all at one time. Could it have been a pack of dogs or a pair of coyotes? They're brazen enough to snatch them in broad daylight. I lost a beautiful white guinea at 11:30 a.m. while I was mowing the lawn. I was on the riding mower and the guineas were going through the clippings looking for bugs. I made a pass toward the front of the yard, turned, and saw a patch of white feathers.
hit.gif
I also lost my favorite roo (RIR named Sarge) and some hens before I found out what was getting them. For our anniversary that year, my DH had a BIG, 6' high chain link run put in. I do love that man...
love.gif

I'm going to guess raccoons. Raccoons will sometimes hunt together and WILL kill an entire flock in a single night (I didn't believe this at first either, but now I know because I've seen it with my own eyes). They also will drag the prey away to a water source and "clean" it before eating it.
smack.gif
Stupid raccoons...

So sorry you lost your flock.
hugs.gif
If it's any consolation, raccoons kill quickly and cleanly, so they wouldn't have suffered. Sorry if this sounds gruesome.
hugs.gif

Somebody here said a fox keeps coming back until they're all gone, stashing the bodies away for later. Gosh I'd hate to come home to that.

Back
Top Bottom