All of my hens were killed!!

sorry to hear of your loss :(

there seem to be some pretty passionate perspectives on here about predators, with that said I've been trapping for a couple of weeks now that the weather is cooling and have to say I've been quite surprised at how much successful trapping I've had. another idea to consider...

There are still a few hatcheries with chicks. I know Ideal is still hatching/shipping as well but you would have to call and ask what breeds they will sell just pullets, and if your just ordering a few ask for no roos(packing peanuts) and I think its a $1 more to add straw. Of course the extra free roos may give you a good test for your coop if you add them first and only cost the care/feeding for a few weeks.

I just got some chicks in last week, some sexed, some straight run. I'm keeping them in my indoor bird room(was for parrots, now chicks) for a few weeks til they are bigger and my outdoor brooder room is done.

Please do fortify your coop and run before you add new birds. The weasel or other predators will be sure to come back for more. Check out the predator section for specific information. If you have any poultry wire, please do replace with 1/2" hardware cloth securely affixed to frame. Critters can dig, tear thru, climb or jump down from trees. A run cover is also a great barrier and can block some rain, snow and raptors. I am sorry for your losses. The colder weather brings all the preds out in a fury of activity. Migrating raptors also camp out to get well fed and continue (hopefully) on their journey.

These were our girls...They grew to be very beautiful hens that were spoiled!! they were about 3 months old. As you can see in the picture in the coop is a white vent, that is where it came loose and the predator came thru.

The coop is very secure, hardware cloth on the 2 windows, multiple locks on the coop door & automatic coop door going into the run area we just missed this one vent and turned out to be a costly mistake. We have a predator proof run also.

Last edited:
They were lovely girls.
hugs.gif

Where are you located? Some states have bans right now, but there's still some flock swaps in some areas.

Sorry to hear that. I had a mink kill 25 Marans pullets in two nights. I caught him with a foot trap. I killed him and tacked him up on a near by tree. I let him rot off to send a message to the others. So far it has worked. Since 2011 I had no others get in my coops. I installed extra lighting and I have a radio playing load music 24/7/365. The hens are used to it, and never seemed to mind it at all. Most wild critters are not going around a bunch of noise. I also walk my Mini Schnauzers around the out side of the poultry fences to potty. We have coyotes, foxes, coons, ext. So far that has been the only inside attack. I hope you get you another flock and continue with chickens.... Good Luck!

Thank you everyone who has left a comment or two. My husband and I are very new to raising chickens and this was indeed a lesson learned!! We have sense re enforced the coop by drilling in wood blocks in the back and inside of the coop where the vent came loose and adding a metal grate 5 x 5 foot run fencing to the back of the coop area as well (predator proof) same as our run.

Ft. Knox has nothing on our coop now!! LOL

My husband and I meet a wonderful woman who breeds Lavender Orpington's she brought them over to our house and we decided to purchase (3) Pullets. (2) are 2 months, (1) is 3 months old.

Beautiful birds, the coloring is amazing. They ran inside the coop all perching together and we kept the very low watt light on all night to help ease the stress of a new environment.

I'm sure it will take them a few days to settle down and ease into their new home.

On a side note:

The night after the killing my husband put a store bought chicken leg in the same location of the coop where it came in along with very large fishing hooks and a few noose's . It came back and did hook itself however it got off the hooks and left a very large bloody mess on the out side of the coop trying to get away so we are hoping it may have struggled so much that it cause some major bleeding from the hooks and is dead from blood loss and or infection.

Even thou we have Ft. Knoxed our coop, we are going this weekend to purchase predator urine and a maybe even a alarm and lighting for the back of the coop area and a owl. What ever it takes to keep the girls safe. I never want to see anything like that again...I feel horrible for what happened, Like my husband said, they were more then just chickens, they were our pets....So sweet.

Back
Top Bottom