All "OTHER" Fowl Swap

Pics
Here I found the reference to marking eggs.  "When eggs are turned manually, it is helpful to  mark them with an X and  O on opposite sides with a wax or graphite pencil. Liquid inks--such as those in felt-tipped pens --should not be used, since they clog shell pores and can poison the embryo. After ...." Page  178, "   Storeys"s Guide  to Rasing Ducks", by DAVE HOLDERREAD 2011--50 years of experience..... Professional Breeder and  Judge......
   Perhaps "sharpie" ink is 'Green"....  I only use  pencil. ....so guess, I  won't be able to swap eggs.....:(  

No offense intended, but I can't take someone seriously when they say, in the same breath, that ink will clog eggshell pores but /wax/ won't. The amount of pigment left behind by a Sharpie is less than the oil left behind by your fingers when handling or turning an egg. Birds, especially water fowl, hatch their eggs in the wild with dirt and poop on them. Saying an inkpen written date is going to clog pores and kill your eggs is just plain old wrong. Just because someone has been doing something the same way for 50 years doesn't mean they get an automatic pass to bring right when it comes to current science and technology (actually it makes them more likely to be wrong), especially since the way things get done changes as we learn more. Maybe felt pens 50 years ago had those properties, who knows, but that's not the case today.

As for the "poison" aspect, again, Sharpies are nontoxic. You could probably cover the entire egg in sharpie and not harm it. People literally inject chicken eggs with dyes so the chicks come out color coded. A date written in Sharpie will not do anything to your egg or chick except tell you what day the egg was laid.

I mean, do what you want and don't swap, that's your choice, but I don't want anyone else here getting the wrong idea. I come from a science background, I work in animal research, I keep up on this kind of stuff in the scientific community and I've never seen any evidence that suggests inkpens of any sort damage hatch rate or embryo viability when used for labeling hatching eggs.

There are permanent markers that are slightly toxic I think and maybe that's what that person is talking about. But sharpies are not one of them. With all the swaps that have been done here I'm sure somebody would have noticed if the sharpie was having a bad effect on the embryos. I wouldn't worry about it

I've been out of town for a week but will now address the sharpie issue:
Yes, you must mark all eggs in permanent ink of some kind. If this is an issue, please do not swap here. We had an issue with people claiming eggs & reshipping what they had claimed to others when they arrived unmarked. This rule is in place to protect everyone. Every egg I have ever hatched has been marked in sharpie (several years worth of bators running year round) and not once has it ever caused an issue. Thank you for your understanding & cooperation in this matter.

CURRENT OFFER from @WaterfowlWierdo

OFFER: 12+ Hens choice coturnix and button quail mix

or

6+ Barnyard mix chickens (Frizzle, red broiler, RIR, dominique, naked necks...)

Current offer.

4+ Muscovy eggs. Dad is blue mom is black and white last set of babies were all chocolate and beige. Time before we're blue, beige, and chocolate with one black and white. Drake sire is 23lbs so great for meat.

Or

12+ hens choice button and coturnix quail eggs. Coturnix are directly from James Marie farms

Or

6+ barnyard mix of chickens. Throws really heavy birds for meat

Back
Top Bottom