Alternative to hardware cloth.

pati-o

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
southwest Michigan
At our local menards they carry something called lath panels that are 8ft by 27inches. They are a very fine mesh with sharp edges and I think they'd be easier to bury then the hardware cloth because you wouldn't have to unroll it and it stays up- plus it's kind of sharp and critters probably wont like that! Plus it's a little bit cheaper then the hardware cloth. Has anyone ever used this?

I'm wondering if you got any answers to this? I don't know what the stuff is that you are talking about but would be like to know as it sounds interesting.

I looked at it at Home Depot last week, and I agree with you that it could very well work as a sub for hardware cloth. I thought that it was rather expensive though. Also, I think that it should be painted before using it outside; otherwise, it seems that it wouldn't last long.

I work with the stuff, and it won't last long unfinished. Those sharp edges also make it difficult to paint well. If you thought hardware cloth was expensive, wait til you buy the 10 cans of krylon to get a few coats on this stuff. If you do decide to go for it, I'd suggest adding a sacrificial anode (bolted on block of zinc) before you paint it.. That will seriously slow oxidation of the iron.

I would suggest against using anything not heavily galvanized for outdoor use.

Yes you can paint it but how long will it be before the paint gets a little nick in it here and a little scratch in it there -- in fact this will happen when you are INSTALLING the stuff! -- and presto you're a rust farm. Don't do it.

JMO,

Pat

I guess I didn't quite understand what it was made out of, I could swear it's aluminum. The price was a bit less then the hardware cloth, but then our selection in this area is pretty poor. We have TSC and family, farm and home but they don't stock much.
Thanks for the info everyone.
Pati

Actually you can get that stuff made out of aluminum. So what they have in the store might just be made of that.

Also I wouldn't use krylon spray paint. A gallon of cheap oil based paint and a roller is all you need and roll the paint on. Using spray paint is a waste.

So go back to the store and find out what it is made of.

Good Luck

Nick

oh, if it is made out of aluminum that is ok and you do not need to paint it.

The only problem you will have is finding a way to fasten it without (ideally) having a different metal come into contact with the aluminum (which will rust the steel, assuming the other metal is steel, and also start corroding and weakening the aluminum). You *can* fasten it with regular steel fasteners if you absolutely must but it will not last as long and you should keep an eye on the corroding/weakening process so you can replace it before it gets too bad. For aluminum thick enough to have strength to be predator-proof, though, I would expect to get at least a few years (possibly more) out of it before corrosion became worrisome.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom