Alternatives to Bullets

Pics
I know, he is hilarious! He is so tiny too, only 20 pounds! Thankfully for the rabbit, he doesn't yet know how to kill, but he sure loves to chase! He got all the rabbits out of our yard in no time flat. He also chased a super fat raccoon into a tree, where of course he got stuck. I had to climb up and bring him down, OUCH! He hadn't had his nails trimmed for weeks and he was not amused when I almost dropped him 20 ft to the ground! Let's just say half my face got clawed and we haven't seen many raccoons out when Lakota is around! 20 pounds of white, hot fury. I will try to post a pic if my dang camera starts working!

Just received the order on Friday - studying up on installation today and do a mock-up with rope and hopefully installing tomorrow. In the meantime I've had music blasting from the new coop and have supervised their outings. At least the girls have bigger and permanent accommodations now so being in lock-up hasn't been as stressful for them (hopefully). Getting them to move into the new coop was a little stressful since they were used to the small coop but it only took one night for them to settle in. No sign of the fox this past week but I haven't taken any chances with them out free-ranging either.

I'll post pictures of the fence once it's up. It's really difficult to imagine my beautiful property being fenced…and how it will impact my cats and the ducks etc. We'll see.

So interesting that Llamas are such great protectors of the flock! Wish I could have one but then I've got my hands full with 3 cats, 6 Lovebirds, 2 Canaries and a dozen Chickens. Still…they have the most amazingly beautiful eyes! (or maybe I'm thinking of Alpacas?)

Stay tuned for pics & thanks all! No bullets, no arrows, no traps & no shovels for me.

Last edited:
So, I'm back again :) So I was all ready to put the fence up when I realized my calculations were off and I needed another 100ft. to completely surround the coop and the ledge and bushes / trees etc. Ordered and waited and started to think that maybe the fox had disappeared or met an untimely end with someone else…no sign of him/her in 10 days! Got the coop painted, decorated and ready so the girls moved in there but I still was supervising them for forage time before dusk. Thursday night I was lounging in my adirondack chair doling out corn kernels and raisins and chill in with the girls when out of the blue the fox flew through the brush on the ledge and commenced to attack. Everyone and everything went flying as I screamed bloody murder and chased it. It caught more than one but they flew and fought and escaped and I was able to chase it off empty mouthed. Fortunately no bleeding, lost wings or limbs or serious injury but clumps of feathers everywhere! Amazing how bold and quick that fox was - scared the bee-jesus out of me and them. Needless to say supervised outings were not successful and my lull into thinking he/she moved on was delusional. since Thursday. The fencing arrived Saturday and I had some issues driving the 3 ground rods in even at 3ft simply because I live on a ledge peninsula here in Harpswell Maine. However, I prevailed and drove the ground rods in :) Next: Wiring - this was a total B*TCH to do and I broke it each time I tried to strip the galvanized 12g insulated wire - fine for the first rod but broke it every time trying to strip in the middle for the second or third ground rod. Gave up and went and bought 10g copper wiring which I successfully stripped and attached to the ground rods without too much of a hassle. This morning I finished staking the fence, attached the hot gate and tested the fence and bam - got electrocuted 3x's by accident so I know it works, LOL! I'll need another gate or handles or something to exit the other side of the perimeter but it tested fine and is clicking away. Girls were let out at 9am, not too late but later than normal and have been enjoying their "free-ranging" all day long. Me? I'm finally relaxing and enjoying some peace of mind. Aside from the wiring this was pretty darn easy. It would be nice to have a cutoff at the house instead of having to walk out to the barn to cut the power to the fence…may have to research that. So far, so good. Will post some pictures of the finished results soon. Wild ducks seem to sense the fence immediately and had no problem adjusting their territory - yeah! Cats, different story and one of mine got zapped pretty good :-( but hopefully it won't happen again.
Thanks all - this has been quite an adventure to say the least. You've all been so wonderful and I'd be lost without this resource to turn to! The girls thank you too! So, of the original 15 I lost 3 to said fox. Hopefully those days are now over for good and no bullets, arrows, poison, kill-traps etc. were employed. Live trap was perfect for baby skunks, lol. Anyone want to buy a x-large havaheart trap? LOL Maybe will come in handy some day for something but not for fox trapping and relocating. As for wolf urine that was an even bigger waste of money!!! Live and learn! Voltage RULES!
Thanks again! Stay tuned for pics of fencing, coop and happy LIVE chickens!

hi all , i do not trap or move any varmints it is illegal in my state to move them from land and i would not take my problems some were else to someone else . i free range and all ways will my yard dogs take care of 70% of most i will help the other 30% . if it`s not a fox,it will be something else everything eats chicken get a yard dog it helps alot. mike.

So, I'm back again :)  So I was all ready to put the fence up when I realized my calculations were off and I needed another 100ft. to completely surround the coop and the ledge and bushes / trees etc. Ordered and waited and started to think that maybe the fox had disappeared or met an untimely end with someone else…no sign of him/her in 10 days!  Got the coop painted, decorated and ready so the girls moved in there but I still was supervising them for forage time before dusk.  Thursday night I was lounging in my adirondack chair doling out corn kernels and raisins  and chill in with the girls when out of the blue the fox flew through the brush on the ledge and commenced to attack.  Everyone and everything went flying as I screamed bloody murder and chased it.  It caught more than one but they flew and fought and escaped and I was able to chase it off empty mouthed.  Fortunately no bleeding, lost wings or limbs or serious injury but clumps of feathers everywhere! Amazing how bold and quick that fox was - scared the bee-jesus out of me and them. Needless to say supervised outings were not successful and my lull into thinking he/she moved on was delusional. since Thursday. The fencing arrived Saturday and I had some issues driving the 3 ground rods in even at 3ft simply because I live on a ledge peninsula here in Harpswell Maine.  However, I prevailed and drove the ground rods in :) Next: Wiring - this was a total B*TCH to do and I broke it each time I tried to strip the galvanized 12g insulated wire - fine for the first rod but broke it every time trying to strip in the middle for the second or third ground rod.  Gave up and went and bought 10g copper wiring which I successfully stripped and attached to the ground rods without too much of a hassle.  This morning I finished staking the fence, attached the hot gate and tested the fence and bam - got electrocuted 3x's by accident so I know it works, LOL!  I'll need another gate or handles or something to exit the other side of the perimeter but it tested fine and is clicking away.  Girls were let out at 9am, not too late but later than normal and have been enjoying their "free-ranging" all day long.  Me?  I'm finally relaxing and enjoying some peace of mind.  Aside from the wiring this was pretty darn easy.  It would be nice to have a cutoff at the house instead of having to walk out to the barn to cut the power to the fence…may have to research that.  So far, so good.  Will post some pictures of the finished results soon.  Wild ducks seem to sense the fence immediately and had no problem adjusting their territory - yeah!  Cats, different story and one of mine got zapped pretty good :-( but hopefully it won't happen again.
Thanks all - this has been quite an adventure to say the least. You've all been so wonderful and I'd be lost without this resource to turn to!  The girls thank you too!  So, of the original 15 I lost 3 to said fox.  Hopefully those days are now over for good and no bullets, arrows, poison, kill-traps etc. were employed. Live trap was perfect for baby skunks, lol.   Anyone want to buy a x-large havaheart trap?  LOL Maybe will come in handy some day for something but not for fox trapping and relocating.  As for wolf urine that was an even bigger waste of money!!! Live and learn! Voltage RULES!
Thanks again!  Stay tuned for pics of fencing, coop and happy LIVE chickens!  

I am glad it all turned out so well! You have a way with words that is very entertaining.
1f60b.png

So, I'm back again :) So I was all ready to put the fence up when I realized my calculations were off and I needed another 100ft. to completely surround the coop and the ledge and bushes / trees etc. Ordered and waited and started to think that maybe the fox had disappeared or met an untimely end with someone else…no sign of him/her in 10 days! Got the coop painted, decorated and ready so the girls moved in there but I still was supervising them for forage time before dusk. Thursday night I was lounging in my adirondack chair doling out corn kernels and raisins and chill in with the girls when out of the blue the fox flew through the brush on the ledge and commenced to attack. Everyone and everything went flying as I screamed bloody murder and chased it. It caught more than one but they flew and fought and escaped and I was able to chase it off empty mouthed. Fortunately no bleeding, lost wings or limbs or serious injury but clumps of feathers everywhere! Amazing how bold and quick that fox was - scared the bee-jesus out of me and them. Needless to say supervised outings were not successful and my lull into thinking he/she moved on was delusional. since Thursday. The fencing arrived Saturday and I had some issues driving the 3 ground rods in even at 3ft simply because I live on a ledge peninsula here in Harpswell Maine. However, I prevailed and drove the ground rods in :) Next: Wiring - this was a total B*TCH to do and I broke it each time I tried to strip the galvanized 12g insulated wire - fine for the first rod but broke it every time trying to strip in the middle for the second or third ground rod. Gave up and went and bought 10g copper wiring which I successfully stripped and attached to the ground rods without too much of a hassle. This morning I finished staking the fence, attached the hot gate and tested the fence and bam - got electrocuted 3x's by accident so I know it works, LOL! I'll need another gate or handles or something to exit the other side of the perimeter but it tested fine and is clicking away. Girls were let out at 9am, not too late but later than normal and have been enjoying their "free-ranging" all day long. Me? I'm finally relaxing and enjoying some peace of mind. Aside from the wiring this was pretty darn easy. It would be nice to have a cutoff at the house instead of having to walk out to the barn to cut the power to the fence…may have to research that. So far, so good. Will post some pictures of the finished results soon. Wild ducks seem to sense the fence immediately and had no problem adjusting their territory - yeah! Cats, different story and one of mine got zapped pretty good :-( but hopefully it won't happen again.
Thanks all - this has been quite an adventure to say the least. You've all been so wonderful and I'd be lost without this resource to turn to! The girls thank you too! So, of the original 15 I lost 3 to said fox. Hopefully those days are now over for good and no bullets, arrows, poison, kill-traps etc. were employed. Live trap was perfect for baby skunks, lol. Anyone want to buy a x-large havaheart trap? LOL Maybe will come in handy some day for something but not for fox trapping and relocating. As for wolf urine that was an even bigger waste of money!!! Live and learn! Voltage RULES!
Thanks again! Stay tuned for pics of fencing, coop and happy LIVE chickens!

This in my humble opinion is why there is no alternative to total control, a. k. a. bullets. Because the first line of defence is the realization in that little foxy brain that killing chickens in bad for a foxes' health as well as its longevity.

I fear that all that you've taught your fox is the next time he attacks he needs to run faster, bite harder, and tune out your screams.

Last edited:
Many people do great with electric fences. No offense, but it would be a littler kinder to be happy for the OP instead of telling him/her that they just wasted time and money. Foxes and most other wild animals are fast learners, one snout full of that fence and they shouldn't come back anytime soon. I don't think that you understood, the OP did not say that they chased the fox off than decided they did not need the electric fence, they still installed it. They only chased the fox in the heat of the moment, they could not just let it kill their chickens. I am very happy for you Catnip5, great job finding a good, non lethal option! I hope all goes well, keep us updated on the pros and cons of your fence!

So, first day with "free-ranging" in an electrified perimeter was great! My poor kitty got zapped and she flew sky high into the netting and then ran into the woods and I didn't see her for hours, but she's recovered and learned. The wild ducks sensed it immediately - no issues there. Ditto for the chickens. Pretty odiferous here last night - no doubt the regular skunk visitors bumped into it a few times given the smell. As for me, peace of mind and calmed nerves at long last…I enjoyed a few celebratory cocktails with the girls at happy hour - we were all very happy that the fox didn't join us as he had last Thursday.
Here are a few pics of the fencing and the coop :) I am finding the girls prefer the rafters rather than my roosts so I'm off to buy more lumber since they seem to prefer 2x4's over real tree branches. Live and learn!
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
This in my humble opinion is why there is no alternative to total control, a. k. a. bullets. Because the first line of defence is the realization in that little foxy brain that killing chickens in bad for a foxes' health as well as its longevity.

I fear that all that you've taught your fox is the next time he attacks he needs to run faster, bite harder, and tune out your screams.
No need for fear. So the fox learns, big whoop ~ we all do! I suspect, per your tagline, that it matters not what species it is… I'm happy with my solution to this predator problem and the fact that everyone gets to keep on wearing their own skin :) Peace!

Back
Top Bottom