Am I the only one loosing sleep at night? Heat lamp woes

Quote:
A lot of people will tell you that you don't need heat, no matter what. But I seem to have noticed GOBS of people on here, inquiring about what to do about frostbite. So, if you don't want frostbite on your chickens, or if you don't want to lay awake all night, worrying about whether they're freezing, or not, get a ceramic heating element. I did, it works great, my chickens don't have frostbite, they all lay eggs, and I SLEEP PEACEFULLY ALL NIGHT LONG.

In all honesty, I worry more about a heat lamp causing a fire than I do about my chickens being cold. It gets cold here in MN so I chose breeds with small combs to practically eliminate any frostbite problems. Of course proper housing plays a huge roll in keeping your birds comfortable.

Quote:
Having spent 4 winters in Milwaukee, I can't imagine raising chickens there w/o heat!

BTW... I think I'm going to go buy one of those heating elements. I've got to get my chooks ready for the coming season!

BTW... I think I'm going to go buy one of those heating elements. I've got to get my chooks ready for the coming season!

That goes for me too.I'm using the red heat bulb this year but will have me one of those ceramic heating elements for next year.​

Buy cold-hardy breeds with pea or rose combs from now on? I think cold weather tends to eliminate the birds who aren't fit to survive it, thus making your flock suitable to your climate.

I have three roos with large, fleshy combs and wattles. One has a little frostbite on the tips, the other two have none. They apparently have learned to tuck their heads in at night and the frost bit one has not. Either his comb will slough in the spring and we need never worry about that particular problem again or it will become infected and I will cull him. Either way, it won't be a problem in my flock again.

Its best to keep animals that do well where you live, just like planting flowers and trees that survive in your zone. This way, you don't have to take extra measures in the cold weather to keep them alive.

For now, it seems you have birds that need the warmth because they have already had the warmth and are not acclimated to doing without. I would get the suggested ceramic heater and then think about planning for a cold-hardy flock for next year. 2 cents worth of plain advice.
smile.png

I have the cold hardy Cochins and when I've walked into their coup when it was -15 they looked way warmer than me. The only thing that gets heated for them is their water.

I did worry about one of my Australorps. Now why in the world did she decide to molt (a hard molt too) in January in Northern Wisconsin? She seemed okay at night when she could huddle with the rest, but in the morning when they all scatter, she's huddle in the nest. Eventually, I'd throw her in our old heated milk for the day time, on the super cold days. Amazing how fast she grew her feathers back though.

Quote:
Hehehehehehehe, funny post! (what shows do they like best?)

Anything but cooking shows. I think they have contracts out on Martha and Rachael. They still won't say where they were when Julia Childs passed.

Imp- afraid to say coc-au-vin

ROFL
9574_joker.gif

Quote:
I think it depends on the breed also. Some do not tolerate cold temps. I live in OH, Brrrrh cold, but I have Easter Eggers and Buckeyes. I am using heat to keep the water 1/2 thawed but the chickens are tolerating the temps. OK. I have 1 Old English bantam who is not so toleratant.

I just don't want mine to have to endure a temperature below ten or fifteen degrees. Most of all, I don't want ANY frostbite on any of them, and I sure don't want my rooster to lose his waddle.
I keep a 60W and a 150W black reptile heat bulb tuned on 24/7 in each of my 4x8 coops when the outside temperature is below 32*. These two black bulbs together keep the inside temperature 15 degrees higher than the outside temperature. So far this setup is working great, but I want to do something more permanent for next winter.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input! I will get a ceramic element for next season. As for cold hardy breeds, I have NO idea what I have. We got the eggs from friends at church and hatched them (kind of a kids homeschool project) only 4 survived and they are all different.
idunno.gif
OH! I cant forget the two guineas! They are pets so I don't want them to get cold.
love.gif

Quote:
I read your post to my birds that just came through temps down to minus 30 without any heat other than what they produce.

They're still chuckling.

Your birds will be ok at those temps. Just keep them out of direct drafts and provide adaquate ventilation so moisture doesn't build up in the coop. My one bird that has wattles and a comb shows no sign of frostbite.

Wayne

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom