Ameraucana Chick Color vs. Adult Plumage

Criskin

Lost somewhere in a book
10 Years
May 19, 2009
The cabin beside the lake
This is probably going to sound completely amateurish, but I'm curious. Does an Ameraucana chick's color give any indication of its adult plumage? A friend of my FIL sent me some eggs from his Ameraucana flock. I haven't gotten to see the parent stock but almost all of the eggs were fertile and I have a flock of multi-colored and adorable little chicks in the brooder. I'd love to know what they will look like as adults. Is that possible or will I just have to wait and see?

Chick down gives indications of the genes present in a bird, regardless of whether it is a purebred of any breed or some mix. However, there are a lot of very similar looking down characteristics that indicate different things
hmm.png

One thing I like about Genetics of Chicken Colours is that it has fairly good photos and paintings of the chick down for different genes.

I'm pretty sure mine are just EEs, but I love them anyway! I also found out just this morning that I actually have three hens and one rooster, we heard his first crow, lol! They are just a little past three months old.

All four: Christian, Jasmine, Ariel, Anna

Jasmine- the darker chick - hen

Ariel- the red chick - hen

Anna- the small light grey chick - hen

Christian- the larger yellow chick - rooster

Last edited:
Does an Ameraucana chick's color give any indication of its adult plumage?

Yes. As long as they are true Amerucana's and was of the same color. like black to black or silver to silver etc.
If your friend got them from a hatchery or crossed colors then I would say no.. For the most part
You can go to this link and see pictures of chicks and adults..
http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Chris​

From what I understand, the parent flock was multi-colored and free ranges together. They called them Ameraucanas but I supposed it is safer to just assume they are EEs. From what I can tell (thanks to everyone's help!) I have quite a few blacks, a buff and a silver and maybe a couple of wild types. There are three different chipmunk patterns (see the picture below) so I'm assuming that one is silver and the others will have the wild type coloring? I thought I'd also post a pic of all of them...although there are 4 black/splash jersey giants and a Rock/Orp mutt (she is the one on the far left looking at the camera) mixed in.

flock-1.jpg

Quote:
My chipmunk colored EE chicks turned into the auburn partridge color. They are very pretty. I also have some white and black mixes of many kinds. White with black, black with white, etc. They started out kind of silver colored with black stripes as chicks. My favorite is a white pullet with black outlines. Her wings and tail and hackles are outlined kind of like a Brahma. She looks like someone painted her!. I love my EEs. It's like a rainbow in the yard! Can't wait for eggs!

I would like to hear of examples of what one of the previous people posting meant by the down color indicating the genes. That sounds interesting.

I'm pretty sure mine are just EEs, but I love them anyway! I also found out just this morning that I actually have three hens and one rooster, we heard his first crow, lol! They are just a little past three months old.

All four:

Rooster: Christian (was really yellow as a chick)

Lighter chick-hen: Anna

Darker chick-hen: Jasmine

Red chick-hen: Ariel
Christian is a pullet. That is female only coloring, and the comb is still nearly invisible. Ariel is your rooster. That is classic male coloring with the dark red on the wings and shoulders, that comb is very well developed and red, and he has long, thin male saddle feathers on his back near the base of the tail.

I have only white and buff ameraucana hens, and a white rooster. I just hatched some babies and they are completely black. Is that normal?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom