Ameraucana or EEs?

My husband said the same thing, that even if we told them that they were Easter Eggers they would probably argue because they were told they were Ameraucanas. I am now very curious which spelling the sign had on the bin. Ill have to keep checking up there to see what it said.

Hmm, I tried that and built a new and much bigger brooder for the two sets. Little ones were terrified and trampled each other for the corner. The big ones would take turns pecking at the little guys. First it was my Buffs, then the Barred Rocks, and lastly the leg horns.

I put a divider in the brooder that now allows the little guys to go out if they want but the big guys cant get in. Which seems to be working since the little guys will go inspect and as soon as they see a big guy they look for an opening.

Its kind of scary and heart breaking though, hope they start liking each other soon.

Well I'm sorry to hear that.
hmm.png
Others have luck but not always. That's good that you but that divider for the little ones to go through. It'll take some time, I integrated 2 cochins and an EE into our flock of 5 leghorns. We have a video of the morning shenanigans and it's kinda sad but very funny.
lol.png
We have a good flock now, one cochin had to go right when he crowed.
sad.png

No worries, They seemed to be doing better with the divider today. The little ones would pop out occasionaly and quickly dart back in if the big ones started to come after them. A few times they fell asleep with their heads poking out. Theres still hope!! lol

EEEK! I just went into TSC today and asked them where they got their chicks from. Come to find out those little fuzz butts came all the way from Ohio! She asked me why I wanted to know, I told her I was just curious about the breed I got from them since they more than likely were EEs and not "real" Ameraucanas. This whole time Im smiling and she was offended by this i guess. And said defensively, well EEs are Ameracanas, they are the same thing. I figured it was time to just smile and walk away, its a silly thing to argue about. Plus Im still very much a newbie so I don't have all the facts to really back it up. Then when we were checking out another person helped us and asked my 4 year old what kind of chicks we have. He told her EEs and she said "Oh you got Ameracanas!" And he said " No they are EEs" Then she proceeded to tell him it was the same thing, but he told her no they were not, lol.
he.gif

Someone here said to check the spelling of Ameraucana on the TSC sign. Yes, sadly its spelled the correct way, with no "I". But on the sign it does shows the blue, green, and brown eggs under the Ameraucanas picture.

I just got a chance to check out the Mt Healthy Hatchery they came from. This is what their website says...
"Araucana/Ameraucanas Chicken (as hatched)
)​
Easter egg chicken
Araucanas/Ameraucanas

Originally from Chile, in South America they are called the Easter egg fowl. They lay colored eggs: blue, green, pink, and olive drab. These birds vary in size and color, some may have whiskers and others muffs of feathers that cover their ears. Their eggs are reported to have more nutritional value than ordinary eggs. " <--- Theres my answer right there. TSC was told that these two "breeds" are the same breed. Tada mystery solved!
smile.png

Either way we will have some beautiful colored eggs and are thankful we are able to have chickens, but oh my what an adventure these little guys are. They are still not warming up to us after being held each day. The possible Roo (aka Gunner) is starting to become more friendly when away from the other chicks. But the chicks rather run into the portion of the brooder that the bigger chicks are in (that peck them) then come near us. We are still being patient and trying but its just so strange how these chicks are very anti social. We can get them out and occasional hold them, however they freak out if we try to touch them other than them standing or sitting on us. Still lots of things to be learned and we are still loving this whole chick/chicken process. :) We love our fuzzies even if they dont have mutal feelings at the moment, haha.

Last edited:
EEEK! I just went into TSC today and asked them where they got their chicks from. Come to find out those little fuzz butts came all the way from Ohio! She asked me why I wanted to know, I told her I was just curious about the breed I got from them since they more than likely were EEs and not "real" Ameraucanas. This whole time Im smiling and she was offended by this i guess. And said defensively, well EEs are Ameracanas, they are the same thing. I figured it was time to just smile and walk away, its a silly thing to argue about. Plus Im still very much a newbie so I don't have all the facts to really back it up. Then when we were checking out another person helped us and asked my 4 year old what kind of chicks we have. He told her EEs and she said "Oh you got Ameracanas!" And he said " No they are EEs" Then she proceeded to tell him it was the same thing, but he told her no they were not, lol.
he.gif

Someone here said to check the spelling of Ameraucana on the TSC sign. Yes, sadly its spelled the correct way, with no "I". But on the sign it does shows the blue, green, and brown eggs under the Ameraucanas picture.

I just got a chance to check out the Mt Healthy Hatchery they came from. This is what their website says...
"Araucana/Ameraucanas Chicken (as hatched)
)​
Easter egg chicken
Araucanas/Ameraucanas

Originally from Chile, in South America they are called the Easter egg fowl. They lay colored eggs: blue, green, pink, and olive drab. These birds vary in size and color, some may have whiskers and others muffs of feathers that cover their ears. Their eggs are reported to have more nutritional value than ordinary eggs. " <--- Theres my answer right there. TSC was told that these two "breeds" are the same breed. Tada mystery solved!
smile.png

Either way we will have some beautiful colored eggs and are thankful we are able to have chickens, but oh my what an adventure these little guys are. They are still not warming up to us after being held each day. The possible Roo (aka Gunner) is starting to become more friendly when away from the other chicks. But the chicks rather run into the portion of the brooder that the bigger chicks are in (that peck them) then come near us. We are still being patient and trying but its just so strange how these chicks are very anti social. We can get them out and occasional hold them, however they freak out if we try to touch them other than them standing or sitting on us. Still lots of things to be learned and we are still loving this whole chick/chicken process. :) We love our fuzzies even if they dont have mutal feelings at the moment, haha.

Yup, the ignorance is painfully abound. I have also been argued with about how my EE's are purebred Ameraucanas. It is sad when someone's head is jammed so far in the mud they try and "correct" you about your own flock. I've was later told mine are absolutely purebred because only Ameraucanas have the beards and muffs.
th.gif

My oldest two EE's (I bought as Ameraucana before I learned the difference)

Which look nothing like my youngest two :

We got our first EE egg yesterday.

Our two EE's are the most skittish of the batch. Unfortunately for the white one, she instinctively does the submissive squat and is now fairly easy to catch. My 7 year old says that they want to bond with her when they do that, LOL.

I want another EE, the cheeks and the stripes. I would've educated that lady. I wouldn't let that stupidity last!
lol.png
I don't really trust TSC employees. They just have to see the EE's grown up to see how they are NOT identical like true breeds like Ameraucanas are. And Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs. Since the sign showed EE eggs, you can use that as a clue besides spelling.

I want another EE, the cheeks and the stripes. I would've educated that lady. I wouldn't let that stupidity last!
lol.png
I don't really trust TSC employees. They just have to see the EE's grown up to see how they are NOT identical like true breeds like Ameraucanas are. And Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs. Since the sign showed EE eggs, you can use that as a clue besides spelling.

I've tried. They won't listen. They don't even listen when I tell them that the hatchery mislabeled the Barred Rocks as "Dominiques", or worse yet, I once even saw they had written "Domineckers" on a brooder full of Barred Rock chicks. Every one had a single comb so I tell the woman. She won't listen, even when I grab the Chicken Breed Encyclopedia that is sitting there and show her the difference, telling her I breed BRs and know one when I see one. Hatcheries sometimes just mislabel a box, for cripes sake.

As far as the EE/Ameraucana thing, hatcheries won't listen to you. I've tried that, too. They say, well, we don't claim our Ameraucanas are show quality. So, I tell them, even pet quality Ameraucanas are still Ameraucanas. I used to breed BBS Ameraucanas as well. But an EE will never become an Ameraucana, no matter what. They act like I'm speaking some dead language.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom