Ameraucana or EEs?

Interesting thread, my EE chicks are from TSC as well but mine were labeled EE not Americuana. They are so cute but skittish I have been holding a few each day hoping that they will settle down a bit. I did read EE chickens lay at 16 weeks that would be awesome. Can I over feed my chicks they are 3 weeks old. Thanks

My pullets are 21 weeks old and are just starting to lay. So far, only one green egg, two of the nine are EE. I would expect eggs in the 20-22 week range. If they lay at 16 weeks, great, but don't spend a month anxiously waitin for the first egg!

Free feed the chicks - they won't over eat on chick feed.

E

I've tried. They won't listen. They don't even listen when I tell them that the hatchery mislabeled the Barred Rocks as "Dominiques", or worse yet, I once even saw they had written "Domineckers" on a brooder full of Barred Rock chicks. Every one had a single comb so I tell the woman. She won't listen, even when I grab the Chicken Breed Encyclopedia that is sitting there and show her the difference, telling her I breed BRs and know one when I see one. Hatcheries sometimes just mislabel a box, for cripes sake.

As far as the EE/Ameraucana thing, hatcheries won't listen to you. I've tried that, too. They say, well, we don't claim our Ameraucanas are show quality. So, I tell them, even pet quality Ameraucanas are still Ameraucanas. I used to breed BBS Ameraucanas as well. But an EE will never become an Ameraucana, no matter what. They act like I'm speaking some dead language.
That first paragraph made me laugh but cry inside. Maybe they had pride issues, I hope they don't think the same way because that's not being a good employee. I think both TSC and hatcheries are focused on money seeing how they won't budge. I'm sure TSC aren't really experienced anyway so I can't rag on them too much but they shouldn't make a fool of themselves.

Interesting thread, my EE chicks are from TSC as well but mine were labeled EE not Americuana. They are so cute but skittish I have been holding a few each day hoping that they will settle down a bit. I did read EE chickens lay at 16 weeks that would be awesome. Can I over feed my chicks they are 3 weeks old. Thanks
My EE laid at 6 months. Wait for the big red comb and the squat. You can give chicks too much treats but not too much feed, they eat when they need to.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a RIR who just started laying she is 8 months old so I understand about the waiting game. For such a large chicken I would have guessed that she would have laid much sooner.

I agree, its more of a headache then its worth to try to argue with these people.

Ive read a few places that EEs are skiddish as chicks but they get better when they get older. (Or so I hope!) I wouldnt mind them going in to the submissive position atleast I could attempt to snuggle them then. LOL.

Wow, interesting to read about the EEs laying eggs that late. How early do EEs tend to show if they are a Roo? I have 3 possible roos (one has the most adorable fluffy cheeks). Im hoping to keep atleast one possibly two and maybe build a love shack for him and his honey.
big_smile.png

Thanks for all the info yall, you guys are awesome! Every bit is helping me figure out this breed more and more. My other are a breeze compared to these guys.

Last edited:
It seems that EEs are pretty hard to sex. But I am curious does the three rows of Pea Comb mean rooster?
Only if you see that early on and it's not 100%. Both sexes develop full pea combs but the males get theirs early on and it's wider at the back as well, while the pullet's middle ridge seems most prominent and stays yellow for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom