Ameraucana Projects Thread

LOL.   Chicken stalker can help you.... might even slip you some eggs to get you going...... been working on them for YEARS 4 that I know of.

I've been in contact with her, and she did offer some eggs, but I think it'd be best if not every Lavender Wheaten in the US had the same genetic background. So, I decided to go at it alone... Sometimes it's more fun that way! :)

Quote:
The only genetic diversity you would need is to breed them to Wheaten Ams. Get eggs from her keep the pullets and cockerels in 2 different pens add wheatens of the right gender and VOILA you have 2 lines of spits to work with cross them from one pen over to the other and you have new genes to work with.... keep adding good wheatens and you can go forever.

I've been in contact with her, and she did offer some eggs, but I think it'd be best if not every Lavender Wheaten in the US had the same genetic background. So, I decided to go at it alone... Sometimes it's more fun that way!
smile.png

You'd also save years, at least 3-4, in getting eggs from someone who has already started the project...

Pairing the Lav Wheaten birds with other, unrelated lines, of Wheatens like it was mentioned above would give you enough new genes to line breed for at least 5 generations.

This way, instead of starting from square 1, you can focus on things like, type, egg color, production, comb size, etc., etc. instead of trying to establish the color/pattern.

ETA: That said- if you want a project and you feel you have the know-how and dedication to start with the original Lav X Wheaten pairing, go for it!

Last edited:
The only genetic diversity you would need is to breed them to Wheaten Ams.  Get eggs from her keep the pullets and cockerels in 2 different pens add wheatens of the right gender and VOILA you have 2 lines of spits to work with cross them from one pen over to the other and you have new genes to work with.... keep adding good wheatens and you can go forever. 

But you're forgetting that her genes will be in that line indefinitely. Diluted each generation, yes. But still there.

You'd also save years, at least 3-4, in getting eggs from someone who has already started the project...

Pairing the Lav Wheaten birds with other, unrelated lines, of Wheatens like it was mentioned above would give you enough new genes to line breed for at least 5 generations.

This way, instead of starting from square 1, you can focus on things like, type, egg color, production, comb size, etc., etc. instead of trying to establish the color/pattern.

ETA: That said- if you want a project and you feel you have the know-how and dedication to start with the original Lav X Wheaten pairing, go for it!

Exactly! I want to see this project from start to finish, and I've definitely got the dedication for it!

I put eggs in my incubator yesterday for F1s on a Lavender Wheaten project.
big_smile.png

thumbsup.gif
There are 2 of us also working towards Lavender Wheaten but with the Silkied Ameraucanas
woot.gif

I started another fun Ameraucana project
ya.gif
got the F1's in the bator now. I have the sweetest Cream Brabanter that does not have a crest and I thought she would make the perfect start to a Cream Ameraucana
droolin.gif
Comb will be a little challenging but she has a great beard and muffs and no crest and she lays a HUGE egg almost every day! WAY better than the medium size Ameraucana eggs I get now.

Should get some Cream and mottling by the second generation
woot.gif

I have her under a Black now and then she will go in the Lavender pen next for some porcelains
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Are you the optimist on FB?

@chicken stalker are you out there? Can you chime in on this project?
@DMRippy yes been working on it for what seems like forever. Counting parent stock 6 years....though the past couple years I didn't put too much effort into it. Breeding pens are going right now, hatching out new stock and when I get my fill of chicks I will be selling a couple dozen eggs. Here's a link to what I have done though I haven't updated it in while but just more of the same.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/lav-shack

I saw an old thread about Blue Laced Red Ameraucanas. They had a great start to the project and the birds were so beautiful! Has anyone pursued any colour of laced Ameraucana? ...Buff Laced would be very unique-looking in this breed as well, I think.

I have a auction for cuckoo/lavender cuckoo hatching eggs on the 24 hour auction thread if anyone is interested .

Jerry I've been watching those auctions. One day I'll get me some of them Lavenders Lord willing I live long enough.

I'm in the process of narrowing down my flock. Moving out my Easter Eggers and Green Egger Naked Necks. Lost my job back in January so things are kind of catching up with me. I'm keeping only the Naked Necks that will lay brown eggs. Although the egg color does need work on them. Along with a few other things that need work.

But back to the Ameraucana's when things get better and if I get the room I'll be getting me some Lavenders. So keep up he good work in them..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom