American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Pics
Here are my 2 new "babies" Hercules and Eolis (yolis). Eventually will be looking for some girls for them.

Eolis

Hercules

they both look very handsome and girls would be lucky to find them....

I am looking to get Americans again. When I had them last I had all Geese and no Gander...

Hercules is the largest. In fact it wasn't until I vent sexed Eolis that I knew for sure he was a gander other than the lack of eggs. He was stepped on the day before we traded so he has a sprained leg. Hercules is very protective of Eolis keeping himself between anything he perceives as dangerous and hissing at it (usually the sheep or dogs). It was so amusing the first night they were here all the sheep had to come to the pen and see them. They stared and stared at them in utter facination. I came out the next morning to find that they had camped all night by their pen.

Hercules is the largest. In fact it wasn't until I vent sexed Eolis that I knew for sure he was a gander other than the lack of eggs. He was stepped on the day before we traded so he has a sprained leg. Hercules is very protective of Eolis keeping himself between anything he perceives as dangerous and hissing at it (usually the sheep or dogs). It was so amusing the first night they were here all the sheep had to come to the pen and see them. They stared and stared at them in utter facination. I came out the next morning to find that they had camped all night by their pen.
If I still had my girls I would so see about doing a sleep over......LOL Just to get some babies for us both.

Pretty birds

( I swear I'm not being rude they really are pretty )
One of there beaks looks like it never really finished growing

How so? These are the first Am Buffs that I have had. I had Brown Chinese before. Hercules has some speckling on the end of his beak. You can't see it in the profile pictures. Both of them are just about a year old. The ends of their beaks are pink and Herc has the speckling. I haven't determined if it is something on the surface or deep coloration yet. The pictures look nice and dignified but really they were very squirmy. Took about 6 shots apiece to get these. So I didn't go in for close exam at that time.

Like it might just be the way it's made but the one in the second picture seems to have a shorter bill .

But seriously I might not be right mine were selectively bred from winners of some bird shows and are like supposed to be really really almost perfect examples . So I'm not saying yours is wrong

It is adorable

It just doesn't look like mine or some of the others I've seen .

The lady I got them from got them as goslings. I forgot to ask her where from. I was so excited to find the perfect home for a ram that I knew wasn't going to butcher him. My Chinese had been hatchery geese not show level and I wasn't concerned if these two weren't up to competition level. They had no glaring defects to being healthy birds genetic wise. Eolis had been stepped on by her mini donkey but his leg is healing nicely. They have nicer temperaments in general to my Chinese.

One of my Chinese, Liberace, was a mean jerk, not only to people but he beat up his mate and pulled the feathers out of her head. He hated the fact that she really was into the other gander, Duke. Duke had chosen Duchess as his mate instead of her. I was ready to pop Liberace into the oven after he bit my youngest daughter. I was just researching how to process him when he got in the road and was killed. Duke took Clara to be a second mate. When a human jerk swerved off the road into my doublewide driveway to run him over, Clara pined to death. Duchess lived another year and a half until a stray dog took her.

When I had the Chinese 12 years ago the only person, in the area who had Buff Geese was a member of ALBC. Mr Comber. I considered getting some from him after losing my last goose but didn't for reasons that I can't remember now. It is likely that these guys are related to his flock though there maybe other genetic sources that have been imported to the local area by now.

My buff goose (female) pinned one of my ducks in their water tub, pulled out a bunch of her feathers and then proceeded to hold her under the water until I chased her off.
Is this normal? I think she would have drown the duck if I didn't stop her. I've separated her from the others for now. She's my only goose and now I'm wondering if I should sell her to keep the rest of the flock safe?
The goose is about a year old, and had a close call with west nile when she was about 6 months old so maybe that effected her personality somehow?

Please advise, I dont want to sell her but I dont know what else to do.

2 of my buffs do that a pair a boy and a girl they don't go that extream

For some reason when buffs are babies and you show them more attention and
Love than the other buffs . They become ver protective , get angery , throw tantrums and are basicly worse than a Chinese and African goose put together

Back
Top Bottom