American serama thread!

Well the last time I posted to this forum I was on the hunt for a rooster. I was finally able to get one a little under three weeks ago :ya ! Although he is a talkative little guy with all of his purrs, chirps, and whistles I LOVE him! My three year old little boy named him Cow. I think he is going to grow into a beautiful little bird and am excited to hear what you all think of him! :D

he was hatched on July 20. the first picture is a little under three weeks ago when I brought him home. The second picture is from today. He has just started trying to crow. 

This is the hen I am hoping to mate him to once hes old enough. She is my sons best buddy and her name is Biscuit. She was hatched on May 16 and is laying. (these pictures of her are older and she had filled out quite a bit more since they were taken)
thanks in advance for your opinions and critiques. 

Congratulations on your little darlings. They are very cute. I especially like the huge eye on the hen, makes her look so sweet and huggable! Question: were these sold to you as pet or show quality? Are you looking to just make some babies for yourself or are you looking to make show birds? :)

Oh my gosh, it's day 18 and I have two pips. I didn't have the incubator that warm! I just locked them down last night, a day early and thought I saw one internally pipped, now I'm seriously worried they'll be positioned wrong, and have all kinds of trouble! Oh gosh, this sucks!

Well, luckily only one pipped. Probably the one that freaked me out last night. Unfortunately, it died. The other one that I thought pipped, upon closer look, just has some dirt on it. I really hope the rest make it :( I'm down to 8 now.... not a good start

Well, I've now checked all the eggs. They were all dead except 4. I pipped them all open, and some of them looked dry, so I'm guessing not enough humidity. I used the "dry" method, which of course, I can't do really, but kept the humidity at around 25-35 percent. With no warning of hatching, I didn't up the humidity in time.

Well, the 4 that are left, I opened up the shell, have the humidity at around 90% to keep them moist (they're all internally pipped, force pipped by myself so I can watch their progress. One seemed dry and I thought it was dead, but then it suddenly moved. I dabbed water on him and hope he'll live
fl.gif
Heck, I hope all/any of them will live!!!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations on your little darlings. They are very cute. I especially like the huge eye on the hen, makes her look so sweet and huggable! Question: were these sold to you as pet or show quality? Are you looking to just make some babies for yourself or are you looking to make show birds? :)

It's funny you should mention her eyes! Thats always the first thing people notice about her. I didnt buy them as show quality birds, and am not looking to show really. Maybe some day in the future when i am out of college for good and have more free time. I have fallen in love with these amazing little chickens and was really just looking to hatch a couple babies for myself and some friends who are also interested in owning seramas. What are your opinions on them? They are still young, and seem to be filling out more and more all the time! :D

Is it normal for them to have stinky diarrhea? About every third poop from them is really runny and stinky and bright yellow.
I am also wondering if its ok to feed my rooster the layer crumbles i feed everyone else?
Yes, every couple of poops there is a runny one that stinks to high heaven. Not quite sure about the bright yellow, but that could be just due to diet. My runny, stinky poops are dark brown. they free range and get crumbles and cracked corn.

I tried to buy them on here but no one was emailing me back! I was really disappointed and needed them in a hurry so i made my own! With leash hooks and everything! If you are handy with a sewing machine i could send you my pattern. I'd be happy to make you some, but i can't make and ship them for as cheap as other people on here so unless you REALLY want them from me, it might not be cost effective to buy them from me. I'm making a bunch more today for mine so they can have choices hehe
Is it normal for them to have stinky diarrhea? About every third poop from them is really runny and stinky and bright yellow.
I am also wondering if its ok to feed my rooster the layer crumbles i feed everyone else?

I actually sew for my home business so would love to have your pattern if it is working well for you.

I actually sew for my home business so would love to have your pattern if it is working well for you.

I will get it on my computer and send it off to you then! Just PM me with an email address

Yes, every couple of poops there is a runny one that stinks to high heaven. Not quite sure about the bright yellow, but that could be just due to diet. My runny, stinky poops are dark brown. they free range and get crumbles and cracked corn.

Oh good! I'm not crazy! I thought i was killing them or something! My big backyard girls don't seem to have this problem so i was really starting to worry when this nasty runny sinker plopped out, its a pain cause it gets all over their pretty feather tips and makes them all crunchy

Oh my gosh, it's day 18 and I have two pips. I didn't have the incubator that warm! I just locked them down last night, a day early and thought I saw one internally pipped, now I'm seriously worried they'll be positioned wrong, and have all kinds of trouble! Oh gosh, this sucks!

Well, luckily only one pipped. Probably the one that freaked me out last night. Unfortunately, it died. The other one that I thought pipped, upon closer look, just has some dirt on it. I really hope the rest make it :( I'm down to 8 now.... not a good start

Well, I've now checked all the eggs. They were all dead except 4. I pipped them all open, and some of them looked dry, so I'm guessing not enough humidity. I used the "dry" method, which of course, I can't do really, but kept the humidity at around 25-35 percent. With no warning of hatching, I didn't up the humidity in time.

Well, the 4 that are left, I opened up the shell, have the humidity at around 90% to keep them moist (they're all internally pipped, force pipped by myself so I can watch their progress. One seemed dry and I thought it was dead, but then it suddenly moved. I dabbed water on him and hope he'll live
fl.gif
Heck, I hope all/any of them will live!!!
fl.gif
Generally it only takes 19 days for a Serama eggs to hatch... I lock mine down on day 16, and they hatch on the 19th day for the most part. Sometimes I have one that stays in for an extra day or so. So your Serama are on track.

ElenaLorraine This boy was born on July 4th of this year.. so he is 14 days younger then your bird. I think he looks pretty good, and probably well on his way to my best looking rooster.

I took this video of him today. Please excuse the music, my son has a knack for knowing when I'm busy and decided this time to change my radio... and turned it up.
http://s326.beta.photobucket.com/user/queenshareasa05/media/003-3_zpsc58fd2e5.mp4.html

(Yesterday) First day in a round pen so it isn't like I have been training him... he just thinks he is that cool.

OOPS I thought you said June 20th.... so my boy is 16 days older then your boy. Let me see if I can find a pic of this guy from a couple of weeks ago.

Ok this pic is the same boy but taken a month ago. He has changed quite a bit in a month.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom