American serama thread!

WOW.......such sad stories. Hope the little chick makes it. Sounds like she/he is a fighter. I would love to see pics of her/him
Here were the 2 silkie x serama mixes at hatch
silk a.jpg

silk c.jpg

Once I realized the toes had frostbite, I debated culling the surviving chick, but just couldn't. This bird has such a strong will to live and the disability doesn't seem to slow it down at all. The silkie mix & a serama chick were given to a friend where they now live "the good life." They will be spoiled house pets until spring (possibly longer since their son has grown very attached.)
1.jpg silkie at 4 weeks.jpg

I have a question...
I bred two sibling seramas together (brother × sister). The only chick of theirs that hatched was a typey cockerel. Would it be okay to breed the cockerel back to his mother/aunt (she is both his mom and aunt) or qpuld it be better to buy a couple more seramas to add 'fresh' genetics?

I have a question...
I bred two sibling seramas together (brother × sister). The only chick of theirs that hatched was a typey cockerel. Would it be okay to breed the cockerel back to his mother/aunt (she is both his mom and aunt) or qpuld it be better to buy a couple more seramas to add 'fresh' genetics?
I know that if a bird has a rare or outstanding trait which a breeder wants to continue, he/she can breed a daughter back to the father or son with his mother. I don't think people breed brothers x sisters because you'd tend to get more of the same and not really improve anything. I also don't think you can continue to "line breed" for generations because any genetic faults would only grow stronger. Most breeders add new, genetically unrelated birds to their flock to keep things going or they have a large breeding system of multiple pens (and lots of record keeping) to keep a special line of birds going. Adding new blood is far easier.

Having one of those days....
Got a mystery egg in the main coop. I think it may have come from a turkey. (For one reason or another, I never got around to processing them. It's just easier to keep them in the big coop with the chickens, than to try to fit them in our already over-stuffed freezer.)
IMG_4232.JPG
From left to right: Speckeled Sussex, Orpington, Leghorn, & ???? turkey?

The useless bantam coop has been a cacophony of noise. The bantam hen trio has been singing the egg song (but no eggs), Teddy's been crowing to accompany them, and the OEG has been going through her unusual noise repertoire. (She sounds nothing like a chicken.)

Our puppy got a hold of DS's sleeping bag & ripped a big hole in it. DS was pretty upset since it's his favorite, so DD decided to fix it...... with the stapler. LOL

My chicks are now 5 weeks. They still mostly look like females. I saw what looked like blood in the poop, so I've been treating with Corid in the water for the past 2 days. No other physical or behavioral symptoms. This morning I saw bright red blood in the shavings & quickly ordered a fresh package of Corid. I figured my batch was old & may not be working as well as it should. Has anyone ever had chicks with cocci & actually saw blood? If so, how long until it cleared up? In the past, I gave Corid anytime I had suspicion of Cocci but really only noticed diarrhea - never actual blood.

The silkie broody (Xansie) is molting & looking icky. Her nails were in need of a pedicure, so she had some spa time this afternoon. While soaking her feet, I pulled off a bit of clumped feathers & later realized that there was a blood feather. In hindsight, the bright red blood from this morning (& possibly the last 2 days) may have come from that toe feather. Time will tell.
IMG_0078.JPG

Here are some pics of the 5 wk old chicks:

Blue orp
It's a very large birds with thick legs, but I still think female. She's going to be HUGE.

White serama (now more beige... kind of reminds me of a Porcelain Mille Fleur) I think female.

Chipmunk serama
*** Please take a close look at this one. Mostly looks female (especially since seramas mature quickly) but those wattles still make me nervous! Much also depends on the camera angle. I see absolutely no male signs in the comb area, so I'm rather confused.

I know that if a bird has a rare or outstanding trait which a breeder wants to continue, he/she can breed a daughter back to the father or son with his mother. I don't think people breed brothers x sisters because you'd tend to get more of the same and not really improve anything. I also don't think you can continue to "line breed" for generations because any genetic faults would only grow stronger. Most breeders add new, genetically unrelated birds to their flock to keep things going or they have a large breeding system of multiple pens (and lots of record keeping) to keep a special line of birds going. Adding new blood is far easier.
Thank you

Having one of those days....
Got a mystery egg in the main coop. I think it may have come from a turkey. (For one reason or another, I never got around to processing them. It's just easier to keep them in the big coop with the chickens, than to try to fit them in our already over-stuffed freezer.)
View attachment 1633140
From left to right: Speckeled Sussex, Orpington, Leghorn, & ???? turkey?

The useless bantam coop has been a cacophony of noise. The bantam hen trio has been singing the egg song (but no eggs), Teddy's been crowing to accompany them, and the OEG has been going through her unusual noise repertoire. (She sounds nothing like a chicken.)

Our puppy got a hold of DS's sleeping bag & ripped a big hole in it. DS was pretty upset since it's his favorite, so DD decided to fix it...... with the stapler. LOL

My chicks are now 5 weeks. They still mostly look like females. I saw what looked like blood in the poop, so I've been treating with Corid in the water for the past 2 days. No other physical or behavioral symptoms. This morning I saw bright red blood in the shavings & quickly ordered a fresh package of Corid. I figured my batch was old & may not be working as well as it should. Has anyone ever had chicks with cocci & actually saw blood? If so, how long until it cleared up? In the past, I gave Corid anytime I had suspicion of Cocci but really only noticed diarrhea - never actual blood.

The silkie broody (Xansie) is molting & looking icky. Her nails were in need of a pedicure, so she had some spa time this afternoon. While soaking her feet, I pulled off a bit of clumped feathers & later realized that there was a blood feather. In hindsight, the bright red blood from this morning (& possibly the last 2 days) may have come from that toe feather. Time will tell.
View attachment 1633147

Here are some pics of the 5 wk old chicks:

Blue orp
It's a very large birds with thick legs, but I still think female. She's going to be HUGE.

White serama (now more beige... kind of reminds me of a Porcelain Mille Fleur) I think female.

Chipmunk serama
*** Please take a close look at this one. Mostly looks female (especially since seramas mature quickly) but those wattles still make me nervous! Much also depends on the camera angle. I see absolutely no male signs in the comb area, so I'm rather confused.
They look like pullets to me :)

What breed of turkey? I think speckled eggs are very common for turkeys.

The 5-week olds still look feminine to me too!
My turkeys are simply brown ones. The mystery egg is most likely from one of my two turkeys. The eggs were given to me by a friend as a little summer experiment. I gave away 3 turkeys and kept 2.
IMG_3491.JPG

Back
Top Bottom