American serama thread!

Hello everyone! I am a new Serama momma starting back in September. They are great birds and get a long great with my other "big" birds. I have 2 hens and a rooster. I am expecting eggs from the hens any day now. View attachment 2951820
I have a serama male who only likes being with my big chickens. He was free ranging with them all summer and doesn't get along with my other bantams. As it started getting colder I was preparing to cull him but noticed that he was able to keep himself warm by burrowing under the fluff of a big fat orpington. Such a funny little guy.

I have a serama male who only likes being with my big chickens. He was free ranging with them all summer and doesn't get along with my other bantams. As it started getting colder I was preparing to cull him but noticed that he was able to keep himself warm by burrowing under the fluff of a big fat orpington. Such a funny little guy.
My Tobias is a great funny guy.. I started a thread about him https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tobias-king-of-the-coop.1506386/
I am hoping to hatch some this year.. though with my other hens.. I am a little curious if Tobias will be a father.

6F82660F-F534-43E3-8FDE-E8D83A5828F7.jpeg
C67F1509-5ACD-4D63-9192-D946A540FBA7.jpeg

Chico my Rooster and Chica and her seven “dwarfs” lol can’t wait to see colors 2 weeks in the pic 5 weeks today and have changed a lot already

You have adorable tiny frizzles!! 💕

It actually doesn't take long - as long as you have a smart chicken. He worked with about 6 birds the first week - then narrowed it down to the top 2 for training. The fastest learner was a Serama named Popcorn. She learned to peck at the red target immediately and could distinguish colors by the end of her 1st or 2nd 5 min session. (Not the norm) However, she did not consistently peck at the piano keys hard enough to make sound. That's why the Modern Game was used in the video. The serama also learned that click = treat, so she would simply turn around and try to peck at the clicker to make us give her a treat. In general my son worked about 5-8 min at a time over the course of 3 months. He probably could have done it in a month or less if he did it daily. As with life, some weeks he practiced daily, other weeks only twice, and he crammed 2-3 training sessions per day right before the fair. LOL
It is impressive. I've had chickens numerous years and I hadn't given them much credit for being able to learn much more than to sit on my arm. Most are not smart enough to go around a fence, but instead try to go through it.

Is that what the coloration is called in seramas? In general chicken genetics, black mottled isn’t considered splash.
Probably my own terminology. When I type in both terms it looks like you are correct. What I call splash is mottled. Now to get my old brain to remember it-HA.
Splash is similar, but not as heavy in pattern.

Back
Top Bottom