Votes: 8 53.3%
  • sprint

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rec

• Other

• Total voters
Thanks, I thought so too! I'm really excited about it in case you couldn't tell :lol: and it shipped the other day and should be here sooooooonnnnnn :D

And yeah, they say these short type harnesses are better for that because the line angle from the skijorer (or biker, or jogger for canicross, etc.) Is steeper than the line from the sled to the dogs (makes sense, sleds are so low) so I guess the regular x backs can lift up on their backs? That's what they say anyway. Seems kind of uncomfortable to run if that's the case. Of course gator is too lazy for any of that sadly. But next dog ha

Thanks a lot!! We definitely thought a lot about it and of course mom and I were mostly helpful on insisting it look "nice" and "pretty" :lol: I did help build it though too but yeah. I hope they like it! It's been like a year in the making, off and on of course, mostly off.

No, no, feel free to comment! I hate it too and I've heard it's especially not good for tie outs but idk, we've been using it for years so have gotten used to it I guess. He used to get out so needed something but I have been meaning to get him a better collar for a couple years now, since I first learned. But then I kind of forgot cause he honestly mostly just potties then lays outside in the sun and comes in eventually. He doesn't pull too much on it anymore. But I still would like to get something better and safer or maybe even a harness. Cause a couple times, when he was young of course, he saw a deer, charge, hit the end, and practically did a backflip :hit and I KNOW that cannot be good for his trachea..... was an accident of course but shouldn't have happened. He seemed fine but still. I'm sure a regular collar or harness could have done damage too but yeah. Also if I was outside or home at the time, I might have been able to stop him from even hitting the end of the rope to begin with but sadly I wasn't.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I will use the collar for tying out or not. It is so nice. Maybe just on walks. Idk. But he does need something better.

And I will look into that collar! Thank you!

We actually do have a martingale collar I got at a local store a few months ago but I haven't used it yet. I might try it.

I actually am kind of scared to try anything else on walks.

It sounds stupid but he's been trained on the choke and doesn't really listen well otherwise and he is so big that I am scared if he got loose or tried to lunge that I might not be able to control him.

But that's stupid because he really doesn't lunge anymore and I actually just realized, I could just work on training basic obedience at home - without the choker - before we even go on any walks lol not sure why I never thought of that before. It makes way more sense.

Sorry, rambling.

But anyway, that's actually partly why I'm excited to get a harness designed for pulling because I feel like for once I can actually have control without choking him. But really we mostly just walk at night now without dogs and I don't make him heel and he just happily ambles along sniffing and marking everything so really, I'm not sure why I feel I need control when he is such a good boy ha

Although this does mean that maybe I can walk him more during the day now

:p"ambles"
Is this his "constant"?
Or does he prefer to run?
If you're gona bikejor you're gona get real good at balancing if he "ambles" all the time.
Even tho' "amble" is a buzz kill for me(sleddogs are crazy go-getters) I'm kyna antsy waiting for news of how things go once you have a harness on him.
Keep us posted. Pix too. I'd like to see some action pix.
.....wearing his harness.
And, Yes, it was (still is) really clear you're excited...:) :gig

Last edited:
Yeah, the people I got him from had him as a 100% pet dog (they had no experience with northern working dog breeds I think. Any one that had some knows they aren't good full time sit on the couch pets, especially when they are puppies) so they got him neutered. It's a real shame in my opinion. He's a real fine looking dog. Pretty bright too. He is picking up on commands quick.
Lovely!

Bummer eh.
Ya, apartment dogs they are not. Me personally, I think that's anybody that tries to "apartmentize" a dog like Jax or my dogs or even a BoderCollie are mean. Or at least selfish. I can say that because I was guilty of doing the same once.
My Nana said,"See that Leghorn hen there. Not as friendly as the (Partridge)Rocks. And they seldom get broody where the Rocks are good cluckers(setters/broodies). Just the way they are. They come out of the egg like that." Then there was this smile.....

So, Oreo. You want her? I can get someone to take her someplace to meet you if you want her. She ain't real good at lead or point(she wants to run back to her house) but dang, on team, swing or wheel, she pulls her tug guitar string tight. If you want I can put Burner, Rex, Max into her for size, color and lengthen the coat a bit. O Ya, stand up ears too. .....o-o-o-or....Bulldozer to emphasize the "pull", add color, ears and coat but sacrifice size.
No charge, but I want lotsa pix.
Just thinkin.
But still, offer stands.

:p"ambles"
Is this his "constant"?
Or does he prefer to run?
If you're gona bikejor you're gona get real good at balancing if he "ambles" all the time.
Even tho' "amble" is a buzz kill for me(sleddogs are crazy go-getters) I'm kyna antsy waiting for news of how things go once you have a harness on him.
Keep us posted. Pix too. I'd like to see some action pix.
.....wearing his harness.
And, Yes, it was (still is) really clear you're excited...:) :gig

It's his constant mostly, he's pretty lazy ha although I should note he can be pretty fast at the beginning of walks. Not really fast per se but I have to walk a bit faster to keep up and if I try to go my pace he doesn't like it and he pulls me to where he wants to sniff (need to work on all that) but his "fast" is nowhere near as fast as other dogs ha and by the end, even just going down the street, he is dragging behind.

He HATES running lol he will go faster if I ask but only for short distances and he's by no means a "runner" or jogging partner or anything. He just doesn't have the energy or personality.

Sadly I don't think I'd be able to bikejor with him, unless maybe I got one of those side attachment things so he could run on the side instead of out front and go slower.

And sorry I haven't posted yet! I was planning on taking nice photos of him then posting but sadly it doesn't fit :hit weird cause it's the biggest one. Idk. It just barely doesn't fit though. Like if the girth strap were just a little bit longer it would fit. And I think the collar is designed for smaller dogs so I didn't try. Sadly I'm going to see if I can return it or maybe they could just send me a little bit longer strap for it or something. I don't think they do that though. They're still a great company though but I just think they're more designed for more medium sized like most sled dogs, which makes sense, or even larger dogs but just not quite as giant as him hah

Maybe my next dog though will be energetic enough to try this and small enough to fit in one

And oh yeah, I think I definitely made it clear :lau

Geez that too bad if don't fit. You may need to get one custom made for him. There are some companies that do it. I'll see if I can send a link to you.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. :( still need to get around to returning it though ha. And yeah, maybe! Or maybe try a different style harness, idk. I really liked that one though.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. :( still need to get around to returning it though ha. And yeah, maybe! Or maybe try a different style harness, idk. I really liked that one though.

There is one company thT has a harness called ZeroDC Faster. They make other models too. You could type into your search bar ZeroDC or try siriussleddogs.net
It'll show you how to take measurements and they'll make one to fit precisely. I think they also have different color options. Worth a look I figure.
The ZeroDC Faster is kinda rich for palette tho because I have so many. Good luck let us know what transpires.

There is one company thT has a harness called ZeroDC Faster. They make other models too. You could type into your search bar ZeroDC or try siriussleddogs.net
It'll show you how to take measurements and they'll make one to fit precisely. I think they also have different color options. Worth a look I figure.
The ZeroDC Faster is kinda rich for palette tho because I have so many. Good luck let us know what transpires.

Thanks, I'll look into that!

We actually do have a harness which I forgot about and recently found again but I was hoping to be able to use the Howling Dog one because it looks so nice! Plus it seems stronger.

But I've been using the one I have, used it on about 3-5 walks so far and I like it well enough and I think Gator does too. I worry about the strength though but we walk later at night when no one is out. We actually got it 2 years ago and used it some back then too but I had forgotten about it cause it got put in the garage. We also have a no pull one which I used and it helped him with training but then I learned it was bad for their shoulders/muscles. We also have a RuffWear one (I think Front Range but I'm not sure) but I don't really like that one that much because 1. I just tried it on again and it's a little tight (I think he filled out more or gained weight since 2 years ago, we got all the harnesses at the same time) and 2. It just doesn't really fit quite right and fits kinda weird. And it's more of like a cutesy harness. I think it's more designed more medium sized dogs.

I need to find something designed for bigger dogs hah

These are the harnesses we have.

https://ruffwear.com/products/front-range-harness

https://freedomnopullharness.com/Fr...lable-in-XSM-SM-MD-LG-XLG-and-2XLG-19-Colors/

I don't really remember there being so many colors. I think we have this navy one.

https://freedomnopullharness.com/NAVY-Freedom-No-Pull-Harness-with-Royal-Blue-Back-Loop.html

And the one we are using currently.

http://comfortflexharness.com/comfortflex-store/comfortflex-sport-harness

And I thought about getting one of these like the webmaster or webmaster pro instead of the front range haha but their harnesses are also expensive for the quality.

https://ruffwear.com/collections/harnesses

And I'm considering getting this one but it's custom measurements. They have a custom and a ready to go but the ready link doesn't seem to work so here's all of them. It's the urban trail harness.

http://alpineoutfitters.net/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=16

And here's the specific page. I think it's the right one.

http://alpineoutfitters.net/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=155

Do you think that harness looks good?? I was thinking of trying it and with the custom it should fit him. But I'm scared it won't.

Also thinking of selling the other two harnesses but they are nice to have just in case and plus he is such a BIG dog that it might be hard to sell. Like, it's not like having a generic medium size that most dogs could fit into. I have to find a dog just as big as him which makes it harder. Although I think the dog might need to be slightly smaller than him, or maybe a female, because like I said, it's a tiny bit tight on him.

Also this site is where we originally got the ComfortFlex and I love the site. They have lots of harnesses as you can see.

https://www.thedogoutdoors.com/dogharnesses.html

Here is their page on the harness. Plus it has the bonus of having their own product video with their adorable dog. :D

https://www.thedogoutdoors.com/comfortflex-padded-quick-fit-dog-harness.html

Also side note but I think they might have changed the RuffWear one a bit this year.

ANYWAY.

We did just order this collar and I love it! It matches his harness!!! And it fits him. I am so happy!

http://comfortflexharness.com/comfortflex-store/comfortflex-limited-slip-collar

We ordered it from Amazon though.

https://www.amazon.com/PetPDC-ComfortFlex-Limited-Collar-Large/dp/B005S6WTUA

He looks so handsome! I have pictures I will share.

Anyway, sorry to go on a big harness spiel lol

What do you think about the urban trail harness?

Or can you suggest others?

Preferably the short half harness instead of the x back or full length ones since we don't do sports or pulling.

It's hard though cause his girth is huge, like 42 inches lol at least I think that's right.

And his neck is only like 24 inches (though he has a lot of flabs/jowls/folds and stuff).

And I thought he was 29 inches when I measured him once but now I think he's like 31. But I don't think that's right, I was using a flexible cloth measuring tape and he wouldn't stand still lol plus he has shoulder fluff/a mane. But yeah, he's like 30 about.

And his back length is the one thing I can't remember but I'm sure it has to be over 30. I will remeasure tonight.

Okay I think he's like 33 to 35 inches long, hard to know exactly where cause his back kinda ducks down a bit/he doesn't always stand straight and was twisting lol

His height I think could be 32 but I don't think that's quite accurate cause he's got a bit of a fluff/mane and his shoulders are also higher than his back by just a bit. So I think I was right with about 30.

Either way, he's definitely a big boy lol

Me personally... I like the RoughWear FrontRange. It looks more comfortable for stuff like bikejoring or canicros or something like that.
I like that collar too. That ComfortFlex Limited-slip.
It's beyond my financial situation to get that kind for 24 K9's but ya they are both nice products.
I paid like $4.99Cdn for the ones I have but also paid shipping. So for 16 collars I paid like $80.00 then another $12.00 for shipping. That was from Toronto to Winnipeg. I don't know she's you live of how "exchange rate" or shipping works for you though.
I still think you could have a look at PawsEtrax.
Maybe save yourself some $$.

Back
Top Bottom