• sprint

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rec

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
image.jpeg
So for winter the doggie door faces north, the big opening faces east. The 2 outside(facing away to left and to ground)walls of doghouse are exposed to south and west for passive solar heating.The wall(upright on right) is north side blocking wind and snow from getting in house. So what you see facing you & a bit off to the left is actually the bottom.
image.jpeg
The door is 10" off the floor to keep straw in and mud&snow out. The 2x2 door frame is pointed so no sharp edges to catch skin hair etc and to keep the chain from catching the plywood and ripping chunks out of it. There's also 2x2's around inside the door perimeter.
image.jpeg

This chain is attached to 2x2 skids. These house weigh about 80lbs and although not heavy fo me they are somewhat cumbersome so pulling them around the kennel is easier than carrying. The chain hangs on a screw so it doesn't get frozen to ground and is safely stored do dogs are less likely to get tangled.
The houses are positioned in the west of circle. The dogs have plenty of tether for them to maneuver in the house but far enough away the chain can't "hang" them if they slip off the back or sides of roof.
Footprint of whole setup is 4ftX6ft, the house is 24"X24".
For bigger dogs I went up to 27"X27"
All heights are 24". Helps conserve heat. As well it helps conserve plywood.
Although most of the wood products I use are repurposed from landfill site.
This design works real well in my area.
Probably work not so bad with Blue.
I hope this is useful.

Wow that is an awesome design!

Also, out of curiosity, how come you don't put the chain in the ground in from of the house like I've seen some people do?

REzchamp I had to say that it is crazy someone would do that to your nieces dogs. That would piss me off if someone did that to mine. I hope they are doing better now though. I still read the posts but don't comment much.

Wow that is an awesome design!

Also, out of curiosity, how come you don't put the chain in the ground in from of the house like I've seen some people do?
Thank you. I thought about it for quite a while then drafted it on paper so I could actually physically visualize the vision I had and . My wife helped me lots on this part.
I've tried many designs from elevated plastic barrels to igloo shaped plastic to regular doghouses to doghouses fashioned after mansions. IMO this is probably the smartest movable one as well as good usage of wood products . It's really good for my area anyhow.

I don't quite comprehend your question but I have a good idea what you intended to ask. Please fell free to correct me if I've assumed incorrectly.

The chains are attached, via a quicklink, to a 4ft piece of rebar driven into the ground. At the dog end I attached, also via a quicklink, a bull snap. This way the dogs have a 40ft (natural)circle. Their dishes sit on the ground on the sunny side of their house place at different 'quadrants' of their circle depending season.
The chrome twist-link chain you see is in the doghouse door just so it ain't laying on the ground. That way I know exactly where it is rather than look all over the place in the snow.

REzchamp I had to say that it is crazy someone would do that to your nieces dogs. That would piss me off if someone did that to mine. I hope they are doing better now though. I still read the posts but don't comment much.

I've often voiced,"The road to disaster is oft' paved with good intentions."
I know the people that did it. I've heard them say,"I love dogs so much."
I think they honestly believe they do. Their dogs are grossly overweight. These huskies are sinew & bone with skin stretched over it. Well, perhaps not that bad, but you get me eh?
And throwing bags of food on the ground in the kennel?!. There again, clueless I would suspect. Or at least I would hope so as opposed to knowing better then doing it anywsy. Cfsç
But ya bustin through the gate and driving in the lawn.... That'd get my goat right sure enough.

Thank you. I thought about it for quite a while then drafted it on paper so I could actually physically visualize the vision I had and . My wife helped me lots on this part.
I've tried many designs from elevated plastic barrels to igloo shaped plastic to regular doghouses to doghouses fashioned after mansions. IMO this is probably the smartest movable one as well as good usage of wood products . It's really good for my area anyhow.

I don't quite comprehend your question but I have a good idea what you intended to ask. Please fell free to correct me if I've assumed incorrectly.

The chains are attached, via a quicklink, to a 4ft piece of rebar driven into the ground. At the dog end I attached, also via a quicklink, a bull snap. This way the dogs have a 40ft (natural)circle. Their dishes sit on the ground on the sunny side of their house place at different 'quadrants' of their circle depending season.
The chrome twist-link chain you see is in the doghouse door just so it ain't laying on the ground. That way I know exactly where it is rather than look all over the place in the snow.

A plan is always a good thing! With my chicken coop we didn't really have one, just copied an idea we saw on here cause it was cheapest (though we modified a lot so it's not that cheap anymore lol) so some parts, like how to do the roof trusses, we messed up. We did figure it out but it probably would have been helpful to have a plan haha

And yeah, sorry, it auto corrected front to from. It was supposed to say in front of the dog house but you seem to have gotten my point and answered my question :)

It appeared from the pictures that the dog's chain was attached to the dog house or underneath rather than in ground but I think I got that part wrong?

I've often voiced,"The road to disaster is oft' paved with good intentions."
I know the people that did it. I've heard them say,"I love dogs so much."
I think they honestly believe they do. Their dogs are grossly overweight. These huskies are sinew & bone with skin stretched over it. Well, perhaps not that bad, but you get me eh?
And throwing bags of food on the ground in the kennel?!. There again, clueless I would suspect. Or at least I would hope so as opposed to knowing better then doing it anywsy. Cfsç
But ya bustin through the gate and driving in the lawn.... That'd get my goat right sure enough.
Yep I get ya. I have a neighbour that throws food over the fence to one of dogs. Must think its not fat enough but I retaliate by feeding him less sense they want to throw him food(he still gets fed). Lol saves me money :D

Back
Top Bottom