Votes: 8 53.3%
  • sprint

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rec

• Other

• Total voters
A plan is always a good thing! With my chicken coop we didn't really have one, just copied an idea we saw on here cause it was cheapest (though we modified a lot so it's not that cheap anymore lol) so some parts, like how to do the roof trusses, we messed up. We did figure it out but it probably would have been helpful to have a plan haha

And yeah, sorry, it auto corrected front to from. It was supposed to say in front of the dog house but you seem to have gotten my point and answered my question :)

It appeared from the pictures that the dog's chain was attached to the dog house or underneath rather than in ground but I think I got that part wrong?

yes. I've built many little projects with a "flexible" plan in my head. Being half"Injun" I have plenty of "injun"uity.
Yes, a cheap project apparently has its own life plans to become 'not cheap'.

I've actually seen chains attached to the house. I personally have my issues with that practice but I spoze 'to each his/her own'.
And yes, I was just scrolling down when I saw the original post and saw where you meant 'front'.

Yep I get ya. I have a neighbour that throws food over the fence to one of dogs. Must think its not fat enough but I retaliate by feeding him less sense they want to throw him food(he still gets fed). Lol saves me money :D
So a neighbor's 'good intentions' coupled with your observation actually saving cash.
Dang I wish my neighbors had those intentions and dumped 'meat packs' in my kennel come 'chow time'.

yes. I've built many little projects with a "flexible" plan in my head. Being half"Injun" I have plenty of "injun"uity.
Yes, a cheap project apparently has its own life plans to become 'not cheap'.

I've actually seen chains attached to the house. I personally have my issues with that practice but I spoze 'to each his/her own'.
And yes, I was just scrolling down when I saw the original post and saw where you meant 'front'.

Yeah, little projects are pretty easy to just start building but this was the first time we'd built something like this haha I think it turned out pretty well though.

Yup! The original called for OSB but that falls apart so we changed out the floor for pressure treated plywood, I forget exactly what thickness. And the walls and roof we did plywood sheathing so cheaper than regular plywood but still. And we made the base bigger (6x8) and used PT 2x6s. And we covered the walls with cement board clapboard pieces (though we found a ton of it in Craigslist cheap) and shingles on the roof, added windows and vents, etc etc sooo yeah.... it added up to "not cheap" pretty fast :lau BUT it is still cheaper than most of the super fancy ones I've seen, we just did a really basic one. And it's not technically that expensive, just definitely more than the original lol and the actual coop is only 4x8. Then the extra little 2x8 section, half is the nest boxes, and half is kind of nothing right now

Yeah, I find that weird. Couldn't they get tangled?

And glad you found it ha

So next summer i think I wana get pet safe paint for the houses. I think I'm gona have each one a different color.
Lighter and darker shades of reds, blues, greens, greys/black-white, purples, oranges, yellows, neons, pastels.....
Ooooooooo, it's gona be purdy.
Well, it remains to be seen.

Oooohhhh that is an excellent idea

So a neighbor's 'good intentions' coupled with your observation actually saving cash.
Dang I wish my neighbors had those intentions and dumped 'meat packs' in my kennel come 'chow time'.
If I knew how to do a laughing face on my phone I would but I don't know how. Lol. Wait so if you use regular paint on there houses can they get sick? Do they get sick from touching it or licking it? Sorry probably dumb question but I didn't know.

Screenshot_20171108-130540.png Screenshot_20171108-130551.png

Yeah, little projects are pretty easy to just start building but this was the first time we'd built something like this haha I think it turned out pretty well though.

Yup! The original called for OSB but that falls apart so we changed out the floor for pressure treated plywood, I forget exactly what thickness. And the walls and roof we did plywood sheathing so cheaper than regular plywood but still. And we made the base bigger (6x8) and used PT 2x6s. And we covered the walls with cement board clapboard pieces (though we found a ton of it in Craigslist cheap) and shingles on the roof, added windows and vents, etc etc sooo yeah.... it added up to "not cheap" pretty fast :lau BUT it is still cheaper than most of the super fancy ones I've seen, we just did a really basic one. And it's not technically that expensive, just definitely more than the original lol and the actual coop is only 4x8. Then the extra little 2x8 section, half is the nest boxes, and half is kind of nothing right now

Yeah, I find that weird. Couldn't they get tangled?

And glad you found it ha

Oooohhhh that is an excellent idea

See, "not cheap" as we intend. But a lot nicer than we started.
Got pix?
Yes I figure chains attached to houses actually are far more troublesome than it's worth. Go the extra and figure out a safer way, like even a cable and pulley system. I've done that as well. My system is still much better.

Last edited:
If I knew how to do a laughing face on my phone I would but I don't know how. Lol. Wait so if you use regular paint on there houses can they get sick? Do they get sick from touching it or licking it? Sorry probably dumb question but I didn't know.

Regular paint/stain has many characteristics and/or components that can be hazardous to my dogs' health. Well...every dog I would ventur to guess.
Even a lot of the newer 'Eco' or 'enviro' 'friendly' or 'safe' paints can still harm our animal compadres. Dogs chew on all sorts of stuff and quite apparently sometimes for reasons far beyond my comprehension, since I give them marrow bones, smoked dried pig ears or moose hide and such.
More especially the more glossy paints. Latex or enamel looking you know. It cuts their guts. Especially if it's on a larger splinter of wood they've just chewed off. That's another reason I no longer use plastic houses or even components on/in my house. Gee I don't even like to use glue anymore.
LOL...it's almost to where I don't want to use screws or nails.
Because I have so many doghouses I'm carrying a hammer and a multibit screwdriver 2x/wk to pound nails and screw screws that have magically popped out a bit from their countersunk seats.
So ya, paint can be dangerous.
An ounce of prevention far outweighs a pound of cure. Especially for me(my K9's) when it comes to vet costs.

Back
Top Bottom