An unlikely couple

Indianrunner123

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2018
I hatched an indian runner duck and an african gander this year and they have grown to in inseperable througj the months. I believed the gander to be a goose for a long time and so thought that they were just best buddies. However my brother has noticed the gander trying to mate with the duck and today i saw it first hand. He fully stands on the small duck i cant see how that is comfortable!
It this normal?

Attachments

• 20180628_203551.jpg
    20180628_203551.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180622_122334.jpg
    20180622_122334.jpg
    750.8 KB · Views: 10
Unfortunately when you raise two different species together they will form a bond and believe they are the same species. I don't know if you duck could get hurt by the breeding though. :confused:

I will have to move the goose onto a different home before winter so unfortunatly that bond may have to break...i hate to do it though they adore eachother Thanks for replying!:ya

I will have to move the goose onto a different home before winter so unfortunatly that bond may have to break...i hate to do it though they adore eachother Thanks for replying!:ya
Probably a good idea. I once raised turkey poults with chicks, and the turkeys grew up, became toms and killed a rooster. I don't mix species anymore to avoid those problems.

Will defo remember this in the future. I actually had to sell a little call duck who also hatched with this duck and goose as the goose kept attacking and bullying it. Thankfully she got a lovely home. Thanks for your advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom