Ancona Chicken Thread

Quote:
Yes there is. I don't have the time right now to go into detail, but the Ancona is actually thought to have been developed before the Leghorns and the body type is actually a little different. The reason they look so similar now is most strains have leghorn crossed into them. When I get time, I will try to post more information on here, plus a few pictures of my own birds, although they need a lot of work.

David

Here a few pictures of my birds.

A Single Comb male
44197_img_0561.jpg

A Single Comb female
44197_img_0564.jpg

A Rose Comb female
44197_img_0566.jpg

I have other birds but none of them are in any type of condition.

Quote:
Nudging this 'cause I wanna know the answer too! I've got 3 pullets, 3 roos, about 10 weeks old now. I'm keeping only one roo, the rest going to the freezer. What should I be looking for in a keeper Ancona roo? All my birds have a lot of white in them compared to the pics I see here of adult birds - will that change when they molt?

Quote:
Nudging this 'cause I wanna know the answer too! I've got 3 pullets, 3 roos, about 10 weeks old now. I'm keeping only one roo, the rest going to the freezer. What should I be looking for in a keeper Ancona roo? All my birds have a lot of white in them compared to the pics I see here of adult birds - will that change when they molt?

Generally they should start laying around 5 months. As they molt when they age, they'll loose a lot of the white and start to look like they are supposed to.

I got my first Egg it's kind of small, but one of my pullets is starting to pull i't's own weight!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

I love the Ancona. Mine are single combed. Their combs are so large that they lay over one eye like the kids are wearing their hair nowadays... I had to pull my three Roosters.... Ancona, Catalana, and Welsummer.... so I could get some peace while I plan on building two more coops. This breed is rare so I think it is GREAT that we are all breeding them and helping them to get popular again.

I love my birds.

Back
Top Bottom