Ancona Chicken Thread

Pics
Quote:
well, they are purty, but I don,t think tha they are Ancona chicks, couse of the brown, something else is in there

Actually, you may have a very good line of Anconas if the chicks are brown. (They could be crosses but you'd have to wait to see what they grow up as). Pure Ancona chicks should be a combo of colors: brown (light to dark), black, and yellow, and I've been told the bantams have no black at all, but I haven't worked with the bantams. Most Anconas now days don't hatch this way because they've been crossed with Leghorns, so I'd say see what they turn out to be. You could have some pure Anconas, which are hard to find.

David

So my 3 hens and one roo are 21 weeks old today. I noticed the girls' combs and wattles have gotten decidedly bigger and redder just in the last week. Please tell me they're about ready to lay!? So far I've gotten a grand total of 3 eggs from my new flock (brown ones, I think from my Dellie.) They're such teases!

Is there any tricks to get these Ancona to roost? They currently sit in their coop at night instead of roosting! I have to check how old they are.

I never had a problem with one roosting. My problem is that if I don't get them inside early enough in the evening, they decide to roost in the trees. I suppose you could put a feeder up by the roost and the only way they can get to the corn is to use the roost. I'd use corn as it would be a treat for them.

David

all my 3 ancona pullets are now laying
wee.gif

will post pics later

well I could only get a pic of 1 of the girls the others flew away far away from the camera but here is what I got

from chicks
38176_anconas_015.jpg

to this
38176_anconas_026.jpg

38176_anconas_025.jpg

38176_anconas_024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom