And now...the run....

Run's looking awesome....hand feeding pic is precious.

My hoop coop build progress will be circumvented again today by the need for more shade cloth to be installed on my main run.

Thanks @aart!!

I forged ahead in the rain today. It was a muddy mess of leftovers from burying the posts and such but I was/am determined. Got the blocking and strapping done first thing and then continued in the pouring ran with the metal. Took a couple of breaks when it was just raining so hard I couldn't stand it and headed into the shop to work on the man doors. Got those finished as well.

Pics from today...

Blocking and strapping done.

Roof done. It looks huge.

Few general shots.

I was also determined not to quit until there was at least one piece of wire up so I stretched the first piece of HC and put a few screws and washers in it. I made a fence stretcher so I could get it tight. Not the easiest material I've ever worked with. :/

Here are the double layered 1/2" HC and 2x4 WW doors. The frames are made the same way as the coop door. Pocket screw construction. 3/4" pressure treated material. The wire is sandwiched between 2 frames to make a 1 1/2" door with the wire in the middle.

I am totally beat. What a thrash this weekend was. I so hoped to be done with it but I guess there's always next weekend. :/

Nice!!
I guess it's better to be rained on than rained out.
Yeah, I only got half done of what I wanted to do today too.

Does this build drastically change the egress/traffic patterns of your property activities?

Wow, Terry, I can just imagine how tired you are after all that! What a dynamo!

Your chickens really have it made! That will be an awesome space during bad weather, and shady on hot days.

You and your wife obviously like to garden- have you considered putting in any chicken-friendly plants in their grassy area?

Oh, and can you post a photo of the fence stretcher you made? I'm curious how it works.

Nice!!
I guess it's better to be rained on than rained out.
Yeah, I only got half done of what I wanted to do today too.

Does this build drastically change the egress/traffic patterns of your property activities?

I was just too stupid to stop. :)

The build doesn't change the traffic pattern at all actually. There was an existing chain link fence with a gate on the west side separating the garden from the back part of the property. That fence line is where the coop and run are now. That fence is the one I repurposed to the east side of the chicken yard. You can see the fence in these pics.

Those pics were taken on March 17th. lol... That view seems like a distant memory now. :lol: and...I don't see the back of a liquor store any more. :weee

Last edited:
Wow, Terry, I can just imagine how tired you are after all that! What a dynamo!

Your chickens really have it made! That will be an awesome space during bad weather, and shady on hot days.

You and your wife obviously like to garden- have you considered putting in any chicken-friendly plants in their grassy area?

Oh, and can you post a photo of the fence stretcher you made? I'm curious how it works.

I am really tired and sore. I use a pen, camera and computer to make a living. This has been quite a workout over the past couple of months.

We do love to grow things. We have all manner of landscaping filled with perennials, annuals, trees, shrubs and hanging baskets galore, not to mention the veggies etc... Have not considered doing anything in the chicken yard.

The fence stretcher is super basic and old school. Just a couple of 2x4's 4' long bolted together with eye bolts on the ends to hook a strap and come a long or ratchet strap to. You sandwich the fence between the 2x4's and tighten the bolts. I ran another strap to a post farther down the run and used a ratchet strap to tighten the HC until it was nice and tight. I'll get a pic of it in action when I do the rest of the wire.

Thanks @aart!!

I forged ahead in the rain today. It was a muddy mess of leftovers from burying the posts and such but I was/am determined. Got the blocking and strapping done first thing and then continued in the pouring ran with the metal. Took a couple of breaks when it was just raining so hard I couldn't stand it and headed into the shop to work on the man doors. Got those finished as well.

Pics from today...

Blocking and strapping done.

Roof done. It looks huge.

Few general shots.

I was also determined not to quit until there was at least one piece of wire up so I stretched the first piece of HC and put a few screws and washers in it. I made a fence stretcher so I could get it tight. Not the easiest material I've ever worked with.
hmm.png

Here are the double layered 1/2" HC and 2x4 WW doors. The frames are made the same way as the coop door. Pocket screw construction. 3/4" pressure treated material. The wire is sandwiched between 2 frames to make a 1 1/2" door with the wire in the middle.

I am totally beat. What a thrash this weekend was. I so hoped to be done with it but I guess there's always next weekend.
hmm.png
everything looks awesome....even that cute ladder!!!

Now that I've seen your "before" picture of the fence you used to have there, I think putting in a chicken coop and run was an excellent use of that space! What a great view to look at now!

I agree, working with HC and other wire is tedious. Maybe I'll be able to use your fence stretcher idea when I (someday) get around to building my own run.

Back
Top Bottom