Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics

CelticOaksFarm

Family owned, family run
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Florida - Space Coast
Ok here it goes. This is how we prefer to wrap any waterfowl with early on set Angel Wing (think hitch bickers thumb) to help correct it. There are other methods, but this is what works well for us.

Regular wing
eedaaeb0.jpg

Angel wing (note this duckling had its wing turned out for the photo & does not have AW)
d0268033.jpg

Tucking wing tip
66427561.jpg

Starting the wrap
0471506f.jpg

Around the body
6e8d51e7.jpg

I like to figure 8 around the body and tail leaving the legs free
7485ef2c.jpg

Edited by Staff: Also see video HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel wing is when the wing looks like a hitch nickers thumb going 90* away from the body of the bird.

Yours just has its first feathers coming in from the appearance of the photos. Those are primary and secondary flight feathers. They are still full of blood as they grow in. The blood will recede once they are completely in.

Blood feathers can cause a wing to hang down, with a drooping effect. Plenty of outside time with room to to move and exercise the wings will allow them to strengthen the wing muscle and before you know it they tuck and hold their wing normal again.

We have two bantam Australian Spotted ducks, a drake (eclipse phase) and a hen that were both hatched last year, that are developing angel wing as their flight feathers are growing in during this molt. It seems unusual to have it develop in one-year-old ducks but since I taped their wings today (right wing on each) I took pictures to share how we use paper tape to hold the wing in place without going around the body as so many people do. By the time the biodegradable tape comes off the wing will be fixed and the feathers have room to grow. Also, the ducks can still use their wings for balance and the wing is in a natural resting position. I will most likely remove them from our breeding flock once their wings are tucked under normally again because I don't want to chance it being a genetic defect.

400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does my duck have angel wings or just too heavy for them as they are getting their feathers? It's the Rouen duck I'm curious about here are some pictures...

I would say he has the start of some angel wing. My Ancona drakes wing looked the same until I wrapped. He literally only needed 24 hours of being wrapped up before it fixed it. I used vet wrap. Took it off after 24 hours and it no longer bent outwards but it hung low. After a week or 10 days he managed to fix that as well. I think his feathers were just heavy as he got the mature feathers. Can't even tell he ever had an issue now a month or so later.

My Khaki Campbell had angel wings. Like his feathers were too big for him, but he grew into them. It appeared that the stuff around the feathers was just slow to come off. Once the feather casing came off, the problem self corrected with a few weeks time.

This guy (low raspy voice) was always craving protein! The first to eat feathers, the first to eat bugs, the first in the food dish, and the water hog. :) Silly me thought the water dish was for everyone and this guy said nope, it was his private spa..

He's beautiful, happy, and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom