Angel wing

TopRooster

Chirping
Mar 27, 2016
Hi I have an angel wing drake and was wondering if the offspring would have angel wing or not. He is a pekin male and is one of the nicest

Angel wing is believed by some to be genetic and some believe it is caused by high protein. My personal experience from some experimenting I did leans to high protein level causing it. I had a hen with it and I hatched every egg she laid the entire summer. Had 90% of them hatch and not a single one ended up with angel wing. Hers was not severe. Just tipped out about 2 inches from her body. When she molted the next time and regrew it went away and she never had gotten it back in 7 years.

Last edited:
Thanks he is the only one of six ducks to have angel wing I might be able to post a picture

Yeah that's angel wing. It isn't the worst I've seen. Its up to you to give it a shot or not. I haven't found any correlation between genetics and angel wing personally.

Angel wing is caused by too much protein...It all depends on each Duckling..The way they metabolise the protein...Six Duckling all eating the same feed and one gets Angel wing...It happens...I have never had it...I used to raise Ducklings for a friend till this spring and the Ducklings really imprinted on me..I kept them and have added to my flock...

He will be fine....Will not pass it onto offspring....

Cheers!

Angel wing is believed by some to be genetic and some believe it is caused by high protein. My personal experience from some experimenting I did leans to high protein level causing it. I had a hen with it and I hatched every egg she laid the entire summer. Had 90% of them hatch and not a single one ended up with angel wing. Hers was not severe. Just tipped out about 2 inches from her body. When she molted the next time and regrew it went away and she never had gotten it back in 7 years.
I agree that it seems to be protein-related based on my experience, too. I have had only 1 duckling out of many (hatched in the incubator and under a broody) develop angel wing - he was an unusually fast-growing drake and he'd been on an 18% protein waterfowl feed. His wings were wrapped and the issue was corrected; since then, I put ducklings on a 16% protein feed (21% chick starter cut with oats and added brewer's yeast) after 2 weeks and none developed angel wing. Arguably anecdotal, but I'm sticking with this method.

Back
Top Bottom