Angora Rabbit new to our home I must be going crazy!!!

Thats either a fuzzy lop or a fuzzy holland. Not an angora. Long haired bunnies need to be groomed once a week. Sometimes you have to take a blow dryer to them. You can use a regular hair dryer set on low. Blow upwards into the coat when you groom. This will help loosen up any matts. you pluck their fur. You don't comb it. I highly suggest reading up on this breed, since they require some grooming. Attending a rabbit show, and asking a breeder to show you how to groom him would be the best thing to do. you can find arba shows at www.arba.net

Also go to the faq section on the website. Its in the upper right hand corner. It will tell you everything you need to know about taking care of your rabbit.

when you get a rabbit like that, sometimes its best to do your reseach on them first. Where did you get this guy from? If he is from a breeder then they should be helping you out. But if it was from someplace like a pet shop or auction barn, then you are pretty much on your own.

The number in its ear is its identification number. All breeders give their rabbits a tattoo number. Helps with record keeping, and to identify them at shows.

When it comes to caring for the rabbit, best to use the breeder advice offered on here. Don't use anything from the house rabbit society. While its good for keeping a house pet(litter training), their diet, and some of the things they recommend to give a rabbit for toys(towels, cardboard etc)are very dangerous to use.

Best rabbit book to get your hands on is the guidebook to raising better rabbits and cavies published by the arba. Excellent for both breeders and pet owners.

Don't use cat litter. Use pine chips, feline pine, and basically any type of bedding that is safe for rabbits. Some types of cat litters will clump, and that can hurt the rabbit.

Thank you for all the support.
I found the bunny on craigslist he was soooo cute and free.
I brushed him a long time tonight, mounds of hair. He took it well and is very tame.
My cats must think he is a baby and yes they all do want to groom him.I can't believe the way they like him.

The people I got him from have a towel in his cage looks like he just goes in a corner. I'll work on getting him a bigger cage .His is small. I put some hay in the cage, he just stays in his corner. I have pine material that I use for the chicken coop but am afraid to use it. I hear conflicting stories.
I would like to keep him in the house (caged).
I always said no bunnies and look what I gone an done, hum!!:
idunno.gif

I got a boy rabbit that looks exactly like that and the person i got him from said he was a fuzzy lop. Mine isnt as friendly as id hoped lol he goes to the back corner when i try to pet him lol. But i also got a lop mixed rabbit thats a boy thats super friendly lol.

Quote:
I have used relugar pine and kiln dried. Its fine. All the anti stuff you read about it are just myths. Doesn't hurt the rabbits at all. Towels aren't good forthem. Its a wonder he didn't try to eat it. they can eat them. It will block their intestines. you should look into getting ahold of someone that can teach you how to groom him. Did he come with a pedigree by any chance? if he did you can contact his original breeder and ask them questions. A brush may damage his coat.

Quote:
dog grooming combs work the best. If you choose to brush. Can't remember the brand, but the one I have (when I have long haired bunnies) is a fine toothed one that the metal teeth move around in. It looks like a regular hair comb. You'd probably be able to find something like at a groomers or pet shop. I think its called a detangling comb. I got mine from a vendor at a rabbit show.

Still, blow dryers are the best thing to use.

Last edited:
Their adorable
love.gif
. But I'm allergic to rabbits so I can't have one
barnie.gif
. Our neighbor is babysitting their cousin's rabbit right now and I played with him anyway even though I know I'm allergic and my eyes turn bright red and I get hives and sneeze a ton. It sucks but its worth it to hold the rabbit for a couple minutes.
tongue.png

Quote:
We use a product called "Woody Pet" - no glues, just pressed wood pellets, Really absorbes the ammonia smell and does'nt track. Any woodstove pellets W/out additives works well.
We used to have a fuzzy lop. Such sweet bunnies!
I recommend getting a good handbook on bunnies. Careful about treats - no iceburg lettuce - give treats in small amounts - they have tiny tummies and can easily get the runs if the system doesn't agree w/the treats.
Have fun!
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom