Angry birds...

Tiegrsi

Songster
Jul 19, 2016
Burgaw, NC
For anyone who has ever had the problem...I have one hen who is just plain onry. I really love her type, and she lays decent eggs, and I REALLY kind of need her for a breeding program that I've already started with her. My problem is, she is just a nasty bird! She doesn't crow, but she dominates. She will attack myself and my family for no reason, looking very much like a rooster as she does so. I've heard mean birds generally produce mean birds, but the rest of my flock (even my rooster) have great dispositions. Is it possible to breed out the nasty attitude, or should I scrap my year and a half worth of work and start fresh with a new hen? I have one pullet off of her so far (all other were male, and some arent old enough to sex yet), and that one is already showing signs of being extremely dominant at only 5 weeks.

Dang...she's the only Splash I have out of shipped eggs that took me ages to find. :( Is there any chance that some of her offspring will be better tempered? I have a group of 5 day-olds right now in the brooder and several 5 week olds in the larger brooder outside. I'd hate to get rid of her so soon but she's really a problem bird and might be better as a tasty stew than a backyard pet. :/

Dang...she's the only Splash I have out of shipped eggs that took me ages to find. :( Is there any chance that some of her offspring will be better tempered? I have a group of 5 day-olds right now in the brooder and several 5 week olds in the larger brooder outside. I'd hate to get rid of her so soon but she's really a problem bird and might be better as a tasty stew than a backyard pet. :/
In reality it's your breeding program. Do as you please with it. It can all depend on your market and your goals whether a bad temperament will hinder your progress or not. A personality is an individual thing and how birds are kept and raised can alter it.

In reality it's your breeding program. Do as you please with it. It can all depend on your market and your goals whether a bad temperament will hinder your progress or not. A personality is an individual thing and how birds are kept and raised can alter it.

It is individual, but if a certain predispotion to being ill tempered will pass down the line, I definitely don't want that. Eventually I'd like to sell and possibly show these birds; I can't afford to grow out a bunch of birds that will turn out to be jerks, even if she IS a good body type.

Back
Top Bottom