Annoying

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
My mother is so annoying. She promised we could get them tonight, which I'm sure she just blurted out, and when I mentioned she's all "I don't think you fully comprehend the idea having chickens". Jerk, I've been planning this for years and belong to BYC... :p

She just has doubts because SHE doesn't know how it'd work or anything about it... Oi. :/

Have you built a brooder? A coop? Do you have a run for them? A heat lamp? I understand your disappointment. But, at the same time, you can't bring home chickens until you have everything in place for them. As hard as it is for you to live under your parent's rule, it's even harder for them to take care of all the responsibilities that go along with maintaining a home and raising a family. So, please, try to understand the other side of the argument, and speak with respect to your mother. You'll catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar. And you'll be much more likely to get your flock of chickens when you show that you can meet your mom without a lot of anger.

I am 23 years old, and my husband, daughter, and myself live with my parents to save up for our own place. I, like yourself had to ask my mothers permission since we live under her roof if we could have chickens. Although she was hesitant at first, she allowed me to get my chicks because she knows I am responsible, and I would be the person to raise them and pay for all of their supplies. As a 21 year old, you shouldn't expect your family to pay for your "want" items in life. Especially for living creatures. Before we ordered our chicks, I had everything set up for the brooder. I ordered a kit online, bought chick starter, pine shavings, and a large dog kennel for the brooder. This all ended up costing me around $100 give or take. Luckily we have a family member who is helping us build a coop, but we have all of our ducks in a row. Chicks are a huge commitment, and will continue to cost you money for the entire time you raise them. Personally, I feel that you need to have a stable income before you even think about getting the chicks. It's not fair for your mother to let you have chickens when she doesn't want them in the first place, and then have to help you pay for things. You are an adult. Do the right thing and have everything you need first. I understand the feeling of excitement when you are just so close to getting what you want, but I've also learned the value of being responsible. When you show you are responsible and prepared, people believe in you more.

I was in your same position literally two months ago! I wanted chicks really bad, and worked hard and studied about them. But my parents kept doubting me, until I made them promise me to take me to go get some chicks. Of course, when we finally got them, my parents were shocked that I had went through with everything. My parents still are saying 'were not sure about them yet' and stuff, but you have to know that they are a responsibility, and I learned my lesson when a chick got sick from the cold wetness, and died. But it happens, and you will just have to learn your mistakes and continue. Of course, I felt so sad. Also what your parents want to hear is a exit plan. We have a feed store who will take any chickens for free, so if we can't have them anymore then we could give them away. Keep in mind that chickens are just like any other pet, and must be taken care of. They are a living, breathing creature. They are like babies! Good cluck! ;) I am a beginner and still learning about raising my Chickie's:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips/advice guys, you do make good points, but that's the thing, I've tried explaining it to her (granted in a frustrated tone and kind of fast) but she won't listen. She keeps mentioning the dog or irrelevant things. I know the dog will get bored very quickly and if he doesn't, I'll keep them contained. She's essentially just throwing out excuses (that I've already thought out) to avoid getting them. This specific time has been stretched out about a week or two but I've wanted them before.

But anyways, no, I do not have all that stuff yet but I've planning and thinking about it for a long time and was planning on getting it once I got them.

I should probably clarify that part too - I don't even want to go buy chicks and bring them home right now, as much as I'd love to. All I want to do right now is simply order them before they sell out since it's so late in the season and some breeds already have.

So with that in mind, it kind of goes along with the other questions. Yes, I know what breeds and where. Been thinking about that too and was initially going to go with the feed store a few months ago, mostly because we know someone who works there so my dad wanted to, but now I want to order them from Meyer.

So, I was planning on just ordering them so they don't sell out and then buying it all. I know above I mentioned once I get them but what I more meant was after I order them, since I know it needs to be set up beforehand.

For the coop, I was planning on ordering them and then working on it since they can't go outside for a while anyways and wouldn't even get here for a few weeks or a month so I figured that was plenty of time? It's only either 4x8 or 8x8. For the run we have an old dog kennel we're planning on using but I'd have to line it with smaller wire or maybe just build one before the chain link is probably too big.

And while I know raising a family and all that is difficult, they don't even have to anymore because we're all older now. 19, 21 (myself), and 24. My younger brother also started college in August (went early for football) so he's not even home and whem he is, he's always off with friends and he has an internship this summer so won't be home except weekends. The other brother works and isn't home that much either. I, personally, do mostly sit at home but that's good for chickens. I'm also the only one that trains the dog anyways. Like I'm the pet one anyways so no one would be doing it except me anyways.

I do understand their concern because sometimes I've lost interest with other pets but I'm genuinely interested this time, especially with the lack of maintenance. I know they're not necessarily easy and do require maintenance but what I mean is less maintenance. Like the only other pets I've had was a rabbit, several parakeets, and fish, including a betta I'm trying to rehome but invested a lot in for once, aka fairly high maintenance animals.

And, to be honest, although I've done a lot of planning, no, I really hadn't thought about diseases or as much living, though I know they are, and that does worry me a tad, but I really do think I can handle it.

And I should probably be nicer but it is annoying, especially since I'm only living here but am saving up myself and would do all the work. So I don't really see why they're so worried about it.

Oh and btw, to answer the other question, they'd be for eggs as well as pets.

But yeah.. Maybe I should make a PowerPoint or something?

And also, I'm really sorry too if I came off as rude or anything because I didn't take offense, don't worry, just thought I should fully explain or clarify
I would just like to say that if you are truly interested in having chickens I hope you can get some, but I would also like to say that chickens are not low-maintenance animals, imo.

We have been keeping chickens for about 18 months now, not sure if our experience is typical or extraordinary, but we have dealt with a chicken being scalped, bumblefoot, predator attacks (that includes dogs, bobcats, hawks etc...), broody chickens, prolapse, lice, unexplained illness that required a chicken to be kept in the house for a month or more, injuries and various other issues. There is also feeding, cleaning and general maintenance of coop and run, egg gathering and checking each chicken to prevent problems on a regular basis.

If you're up for it, more power to you. Chickens are very rewarding and the best thing we've added to our lives in a very long time. We have 40 now and are adding more, so the number involved obviously adds to the work load. I just want you to be prepared for the work involved in keeping them. They are totally worth it if you are really dedicated and want them. Good luck to you!

If say wait until you have established your own place of living for chickens. You never know what's going to happen. Your 21, so much change in te next decade you don't even know it! I think eventually they will end up in your moms care. And your mom does not want to deal with it.
Wait! And learn while you wait and then when you are ready and able you'll be an expert!

(I'm not trying to tell you what to do, so please don't take this offensively) You may be annoyed with her, but you shouldn't call your mother a jerk, even if she made you really mad.
Ok, so calm down and think about things.
Do you have everything you need to provide housing for chicks? Like a lamp, a brooder, chick feed, feeder, and waterer.
Do you know what exactly you want chickens for?
Do you already have breeds in mind?
Do you know where to get them?

Have you built a brooder? A coop? Do you have a run for them? A heat lamp? I understand your disappointment. But, at the same time, you can't bring home chickens until you have everything in place for them. As hard as it is for you to live under your parent's rule, it's even harder for them to take care of all the responsibilities that go along with maintaining a home and raising a family. So, please, try to understand the other side of the argument, and speak with respect to your mother. You'll catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar. And you'll be much more likely to get your flock of chickens when you show that you can meet your mom without a lot of anger.
goodpost.gif

x 2. Who is going to pay for the initial cost of those chicks? Who will pay the electric bill? The feed bill? The supply bill (feeders, waterers, shavings) and coop building? There's a lot more to chickens than just collecting eggs. You may not agree with your mom's rules, but you do have to follow them.

Thanks for the tips/advice guys, you do make good points, but that's the thing, I've tried explaining it to her (granted in a frustrated tone and kind of fast) but she won't listen. She keeps mentioning the dog or irrelevant things. I know the dog will get bored very quickly and if he doesn't, I'll keep them contained. She's essentially just throwing out excuses (that I've already thought out) to avoid getting them. This specific time has been stretched out about a week or two but I've wanted them before.

But anyways, no, I do not have all that stuff yet but I've planning and thinking about it for a long time and was planning on getting it once I got them.

I should probably clarify that part too - I don't even want to go buy chicks and bring them home right now, as much as I'd love to. All I want to do right now is simply order them before they sell out since it's so late in the season and some breeds already have.

So with that in mind, it kind of goes along with the other questions. Yes, I know what breeds and where. Been thinking about that too and was initially going to go with the feed store a few months ago, mostly because we know someone who works there so my dad wanted to, but now I want to order them from Meyer.

So, I was planning on just ordering them so they don't sell out and then buying it all. I know above I mentioned once I get them but what I more meant was after I order them, since I know it needs to be set up beforehand.

For the coop, I was planning on ordering them and then working on it since they can't go outside for a while anyways and wouldn't even get here for a few weeks or a month so I figured that was plenty of time? It's only either 4x8 or 8x8. For the run we have an old dog kennel we're planning on using but I'd have to line it with smaller wire or maybe just build one before the chain link is probably too big.

And while I know raising a family and all that is difficult, they don't even have to anymore because we're all older now. 19, 21 (myself), and 24. My younger brother also started college in August (went early for football) so he's not even home and whem he is, he's always off with friends and he has an internship this summer so won't be home except weekends. The other brother works and isn't home that much either. I, personally, do mostly sit at home but that's good for chickens. I'm also the only one that trains the dog anyways. Like I'm the pet one anyways so no one would be doing it except me anyways.

I do understand their concern because sometimes I've lost interest with other pets but I'm genuinely interested this time, especially with the lack of maintenance. I know they're not necessarily easy and do require maintenance but what I mean is less maintenance. Like the only other pets I've had was a rabbit, several parakeets, and fish, including a betta I'm trying to rehome but invested a lot in for once, aka fairly high maintenance animals.

And, to be honest, although I've done a lot of planning, no, I really hadn't thought about diseases or as much living, though I know they are, and that does worry me a tad, but I really do think I can handle it.

And I should probably be nicer but it is annoying, especially since I'm only living here but am saving up myself and would do all the work. So I don't really see why they're so worried about it.

Oh and btw, to answer the other question, they'd be for eggs as well as pets.

But yeah.. Maybe I should make a PowerPoint or something?

And also, I'm really sorry too if I came off as rude or anything because I didn't take offense, don't worry, just thought I should fully explain or clarify

Back
Top Bottom