Another Egg Bound Hen.

Sorry that you're having egg problems
sad.png
I'm hoping your pretty girl lays that egg soon!
fl.gif

She's clearly in good hands...

Sorry that you're having egg problems
sad.png
I'm hoping your pretty girl lays that egg soon!
fl.gif

She's clearly in good hands...

Thanks New2, I wish there was some quick and easy way to just pop that sucker out, all this waiting is killing me.

In an effort to remain married a while longer, I have returned the egg bound hen to her outdoor pen. She spent 6 hours in the sauna, and pooped a gazillion times, but did not pass the egg. She is however eating and drinking and around 12pm she got up and began to walk around in my tub. She is also walking around in the outdoor pen, she went to the dish and ate some feed shortly after I took her out. I will continue to monitor her, but hubby will be home from work shortly and having a hen in the house making the bathroom smell less than pleasant just doesn't fly with him. Any body have any further suggestions? @casportpony If she is down again tomorrow morning without having passed this egg, is a second round of calcium gluconate recommended or is that a once and done?

Last edited:
When I took my hen to the vet last summer I was instructed to give 200ml fluids subcutaneously twice a day as well as calcium at 50mg per pound twice a day.

-Kathy

Can you tube 60-90ml of fluids to her?

-Kathy

Yes I can, but she is currently drinking on her own. Should I do it anyway or do it if she still hasn't passed the egg tomorrow? Would plain water or save-a-chick in water work as fluids or does it need to be something special?

Last edited:
Yes I can, but she is currently drinking on her own. Should I do it anyway or do it if she still hasn't passed the egg tomorrow? Would plain water or save-a-chick in water work as fluids or does it need to be something special?
I would get as much fluid into her as possible today. Haven't used Save-A-Chick, so not sure how it compares to something like Pedialyte? Pedialyte and tap water are what I use for egg issues when giving it orally.

Careful when giving fluids orally... only give 60 ml if crop has no fluid in it. 90 ml is the absolute max I would give, so might be better to start with just 60. Give 60 now, then repeat in 60-90 minutes if most of the fluid has cleared her crop.

-Kathy

I would get as much fluid into her as possible today. Haven't used Save-A-Chick, so not sure how it compares to something like Pedialyte? Pedialyte and tap water are what I use for egg issues when giving it orally.

Careful when giving fluids orally... only give 60 ml if crop has no fluid in it. 90 ml is the absolute max I would give, so might be better to start with just 60. Give 60 now, then repeat in 60-90 minutes if most of the fluid has cleared her crop.

-Kathy

I don't have pedialyte so it's gonna have to be save-a-chick. Looks similar with vitamins as well as electrolytes. Mixed up a gallon and as soon as hubby can lend a hand I will administer. She's not nearly as easy to handle now that her legs are working again.
hide.gif

I don't have pedialyte so it's gonna have to be save-a-chick. Looks similar with vitamins as well as electrolytes. Mixed up a gallon and as soon as hubby can lend a hand I will administer. She's not nearly as easy to handle now that her legs are working again.
hide.gif
Be sure to repeat in 60-90 minutes. That's what's recommended when trying to correct hydration. FWIW, my vet made a comment about dehydration being the leading cause of egg binding.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom