Another Egg Bound Hen.

Kathy walked me through tube feeding, I thought she was sick turned out she was egg bound as soon as I gave her fluids about thirty minutes later she laid and was acting normal again. So maybe the extra fluid just puts pressure where it needs to be to expel the egg. Hope she is better Dylansmom. Fingers crossed

Thanks, I so hope she passes this egg tonight, and this isn't even the hen that has been laying the weird crackled eggs, feels like it's going to be a long summer. .

Yes 23% and she had 5ml at 8am.
Not sure I'd give more... If I did, I would give a nine pounder just 1.8-2ml. When you checked her vent, while feeling around in there would she start pumping her tail like they do when laying the egg?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Kathy walked me through tube feeding, I thought she was sick turned out she was egg bound as soon as I gave her fluids about thirty minutes later she laid and was acting normal again. So maybe the extra fluid just puts pressure where it needs to be to expel the egg. Hope she is better Dylansmom. Fingers crossed
Fluids play a huge part in the egg laying process. Would be nice if we could get a vet to post here on that.

-Kathy

Mine was doing the exact same thing. I had one last year that I never could feel an egg in. I've often wondered if it broke before I checked for it, because I lost the hen, quickly.
She has been like this for 8 hours now, she will just sit on the ground but she will stand sometimes.

She has been like this for 8 hours now, she will just sit on the ground but she will stand sometimes.

My husband fed the birds for me and he told me I might want to take a look at one of the hens the next day because she was limping. I wasn't too worried about it because he said it wasn't bad. The next day she was down and unable to walk, but when I got close she would kind of scrabble away on her hocks. That night I made him hold her so I could check for the egg, but I never felt one. She died the next day. I hope yours' and mine pull through this time.
fl.gif

Not sure I'd give more... If I did, I would give a nine pounder just 1.8-2ml. When you checked her vent, while feeling around in there would she start pumping her tail like they do when laying the egg?

-Kathy

Yes she was pumping the tail a lot while I was doing the check. Did I give too much Calcium the first time, I thought that was the recommended dose of the 23%.
hide.gif

My husband fed the birds for me and he told me I might want to take a look at one of the hens the next day because she was limping. I wasn't too worried about it because he said it wasn't bad. The next day she was down and unable to walk, but when I got close she would kind of scrabble away on her hocks. That night I made him hold her so I could check for the egg, but I never felt one. She died the next day. I hope yours' and mine pull through this time.
fl.gif
I hope so
fl.gif

Yes she was pumping the tail a lot while I was doing the check. Did I give too much Calcium the first time, I thought that was the recommended dose of the 23%.
hide.gif
The tail pumping is a good sign, I think. I worry when they don't pump.
big_smile.png
The amount of calcium should be fine, but it is more than my vet told me to use, so that's why I said something.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom