Another rabbit litter training post

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I've had Aspen now for 2-2.5 months I believe. I love her to death! She's the sweetest rabbit, with the silliest quirks, along with her awkward back legs. Since I got rescued her after being dumped, I've been putting her poop in the litter box, and cleaning up/spraying any urine. Plus putting a slightly soaked towel of urine in the litter box. Her litter habits improved to 50/50, but she still doesn't use it to my liking. She pees in the box for the most part, and I stopped putting blanket in her area since she always peed on those.
I changed the litter box material, amount of material, location of the litter box, and added a second litter box. I even changed to an entirely different litter box with stairs when her habits didn't improve much. For those of your who haven't seen my thread about her back legs, I've noticed they are oddly rotated to the left when she moves around a lot. Heres the thread if you want to read more.
Anyway, I bought her a new litter box, the Petmate dome with stairs encase the jump was possibly to difficult for her back legs. That improved her habits quite a bit. She still poops outside the litter box, but much better than before. Now, she's been peeing outside the box everyday.
Honestly, with how much she's improved I don't care to much, but her are area is inside in our already to small laundry room, so everyone else is getting quite fet up with her bad habits. They don't seem to care to much about her improvements. I will admit I've slacked off a bit on picking up her poop immediately, so maybe I should get more consistent again. She pees in a different spot most of the time, so its not a spot that isn't getting cleaned good enough. Does anyone have any ideas? I even moved her food and water bowl so she can only get to it by getting in her litter box.
She isn't spayed, do you think this is why? I know others who have rabbits who aren't spayed that still use the litter box consistently. I'm starting to run out of options. Thanks for any suggestions everyone! I appreciate it.

I cleaned it this morning. Swept, sprayed etc, and picked up a few more poops at noon ish. She hasn't had an accident since then, but she's been sleeping in her hidey house for since then anyway. ;) The litter is pine pellets. Used to be paper bedding, then a mix of the two, now just the pellets.
She also has access the the rest of the house during the day. So she has more room than just this little laundry room. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 8
You should put some mats on the floor for traction. Rabbits don't like being on slippery floors. :)
This is what I was told. I did put blankets down in the begging, but every time I did she would pee on them. Thoughts? I know what you mean about the floor though. :) Do you think rubber mats might work better or? I got a small one with a lip to test, but she chewed that one up really fast. :lol:

This is what I was told. I did put blankets down in the begging, but every time I did she would pee on them. Thoughts? I know what you mean about the floor though. :) Do you think rubber mats might work better or? I got a small one with a lip to test, but she chewed that one up really fast. :lol:
The slippery floor is probably why her legs are screwed up.

I'd move the water out of the litter box and I'd put the hay in something.

I'd also get a bigger litter box.

Example of bigger:
PXL_20220110_020620394.jpg
PXL_20220110_020615342.jpg

I would also stop moving stuff. Let her get used to where things are/stay.

The biggest thing would be to make the floor non slippery and bigger litter box.

Back
Top Bottom