Another Snake!!! Yall Told Me What Now Tell Me How!!!

Keni*Sue

Songster
10 Years
May 8, 2009
Campobello
ok now i know that i can use sulfer, that expanding foam,and moth balls, bird netting! any this else??? and im new to all of this could yall tell me how to use the things that i have listed. the type of coop that i have my LAST(the only one that hasnt got partially eaten) chick in i dont have anywhere to put those things that she cant get too. could someone point me in the right direction?!?

here is the coop that they were in
30681_imag0015.jpg

on the top and bottom there is the wire that has the 1cm x 1cm squares and i thought a snake couldnt get through that but i was wrong the snake must not be too big bc both chicks were killed and swollowed to their chests and spit back out bc it couldnt eat the whole thing!!

Quote:
what makes it not sturdy? right now that is the safest that i have i just need a way to TRY to prevent the snakes

I have 2 acres and the backyard is bordered by 2 creeks, so I have lots of snakes. Fortunately, I don't see too many, but I know they're there! I would highly recommend that you put 1/2" (or 1/4") hardware cloth (lowes, home depot) over all openings. My entire coop and run are covered in that (see my BYC page) and so far, I've had no snakes, possums, owls, coyotes. bobcats or raccoons (all of which are prevalent on my property) get through it. Where I've placed it inside the coop windows, I nailed the doo-wacky out of it cuz I know those coons are strong! Good luck!

Gail

Keni*Sue :

ok now i know that i can use sulfer, that expanding foam,and moth balls, bird netting! any this else??? and im new to all of this could yall tell me how to use the things that i have listed. the type of coop that i have my LAST(the only one that hasnt got partially eaten) chick in i dont have anywhere to put those things that she cant get too. could someone point me in the right direction?!?

on the top and bottom there is the wire that has the 1cm x 1cm squares and i thought a snake couldnt get through that but i was wrong the snake must not be too big bc both chicks were killed and swollowed to their chests and spit back out bc it couldnt eat the whole thing!!

The expanding foam is to use in the coop to fill any gaps and seams of the wood (make sure chickens can't eat it)

Sulfur is to sprinkle around the base at ground as a perimeter barrier, but will need to be redone when it rains.

Moth ball can be placed into soda bottles with a bunch of little holes around it so the smell can get out but can't be pecked by chickens. Make sure you put the lid back on the soda bottle after putting the moth balls in. You could place these at the 4 legs of your coop (one for each leg)

The netting you would scrunch around the perimeter of the coop, another circular or square barrier/perimeter. This is so the snake gets caught up in it. You could also do the same on their roof and maybe up and around the legs. Just make sure it is loose and not tight so it doesn't give them a natural ladder.

The only other thing I could suggest is solid top and bottom of coop with gaps filled and use the other means of snake deterent as well.​

coop has tall legs, right?
buy or make the anti-squirrel devices that hang on the legs.
it's an upside-down cone/funnel-like thing.
you can make them out of plastic jugs, like bleach or detergent bottles.
just cut the bottoms out and cut the necks large enough to fit snugly around the coop legs and slide them almost up to the chicken living space.
even if the snake gets up the coop leg and is big enough to look around the jug, it will slide down the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom