Any advice please on caring for hens in winter when working full time?

Sorry the delay in getting back to you. I worked a bunch of days and am struggling with the winter blues. It was a super effort to get out of bed. Is it okay to feed them their own eggs. I worry about enough protein.
smile.png

Hiya sweetie no problem. Will not be on as often when I get back to work after Christmas.

I totally understand about the winter blues. Am actually off work with depression which is thankfully lifting. However, I got one of those SAD lamps and it's worked wonders at lifting my spirits on these dark winter days. Might be worth a try.

Yes it's fine to feed them their own eggs. Just make sure they're cooked so they don't get a taste for raw and start helping themselves ha ha. Also, crush the eggshells and bake for 15 mins and give it them to supplement calcium and grit. You can actually feed them chicken but that seems so wrong! ha ha. Mine love tuna and boiled ham as a treat. In fact they'll eat anything.
yippiechickie.gif

Have a great day or evening- whenever you read this. Take care of yourself x

I feed the shells without anything other than crushing them. And raw egg actually won't give them a taste for eggs if it isn't still in the shell where they can make the association of getting that yummyness out of a whole, unbroken egg.

Good news! @PeacefulPlace and @PaulaMc , yesterday was the winter solstice and the days will be getting longer!
yesss.gif
I have been affected by SAD plenty in my past. I always make sure to take my sun glasses off and let some sunshine into my eyes when I have a chance. I think the holidays especially bring it out. I start missing people I loved who have either passed or aren't close anymore. Being medicated doesn't make it perfect, but it sure has helped.

I KNOW first hand how debilitating depression can be! I am sorry to hear that you both suffer from it as well. I hope you both head into recovery from it or at least feel some relief soon. For me, it's one reason I got chickens. So I have to get up and moving around whether the weather tell me I should crawl back into bed or not. And my dogs play a huge roll in that they are always happy to see me and be with me. So their love and acceptance help me to accept myself. And the tail wagging every time I walk into the room is part of the joy. Really the worst part about it is that my life is good and I have nothing to complain about but still suffer terrible feelings of overwhelming sadness (when it happens).

Best wishes for a joyous new year! (Happiness is fleeting but joy last forever.)

I try to use the following for 30 minutes daily when I get up and have coffee, check email etc. I have recommended it to many, The price has dropped by almost half since I purchased mine about five years ago. It has a mild but uplifting effect!

https://www.amazon.com/NatureBright-SunTouch-Light-Therapy-package/dp/B000W8Y7FY

It was the best I found after a lot of research and finding a lot of useless imitations. This is the real thing.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice. I know the things that help me personally. Exercise and staying busy help so much. I have one of those wagging antidepressant fur balls on the sofa next to me right now. She is a good girl and a great little chicken dog. I don't mean to complain, but a lot of times It just gets me and I have a little trouble overcoming it.

The chickens are great therapy. I will grind up some shells and offer them to them. I will also make them a warm spinach scramble this morning. We don't get light here until 10am right now. It's 23 degrees out with a wind chill of 3 degrees. I'm sure a warm breakfast would be comforting.

And yes...nothing to look forward to except longer days...and sweet Summer!
1f413.png

I feed the shells without anything other than crushing them. And raw egg actually won't give them a taste for eggs if it isn't still in the shell where they can make the association of getting that yummyness out of a whole, unbroken egg.

Good news! @PeacefulPlace and @PaulaMc , yesterday was the winter solstice and the days will be getting longer!
yesss.gif
I have been affected by SAD plenty in my past. I always make sure to take my sun glasses off and let some sunshine into my eyes when I have a chance. I think the holidays especially bring it out. I start missing people I loved who have either passed or aren't close anymore. Being medicated doesn't make it perfect, but it sure has helped.

I KNOW first hand how debilitating depression can be! I am sorry to hear that you both suffer from it as well. I hope you both head into recovery from it or at least feel some relief soon. For me, it's one reason I got chickens. So I have to get up and moving around whether the weather tell me I should crawl back into bed or not. And my dogs play a huge roll in that they are always happy to see me and be with me. So their love and acceptance help me to accept myself. And the tail wagging every time I walk into the room is part of the joy. Really the worst part about it is that my life is good and I have nothing to complain about but still suffer terrible feelings of overwhelming sadness (when it happens).

Best wishes for a joyous new year! (Happiness is fleeting but joy last forever.)

Yeah for the solstice ha ha.

Thanks so much for that lovely. I am on the best side now and I like you have nothing really to moan about-apart from I could do with winning the lottery ha ha.

I agree about the hens making you get outside and I can watch their cute little antics for hours. Although the avian flu restrictions have made it a bit stressful at the moment I love my 6 little girls dearly. I love dogs but due to my job have 4 cats who I adore. They have loved me being off work and will miss me when I go back.

Thanks so much for your lovely, caring reply.

Big hugs for a superb Christmas and a fantastic New Year x

I try to use the following for 30 minutes daily when I get up and have coffee, check email etc. I have recommended it to many, The price has dropped by almost half since I purchased mine about five years ago. It has a mild but uplifting effect!

https://www.amazon.com/NatureBright-SunTouch-Light-Therapy-package/dp/B000W8Y7FY

It was the best I found after a lot of research and finding a lot of useless imitations. This is the real thing.

Thanks so much. Similar to mine.

Thank you so much for your advice. I know the things that help me personally. Exercise and staying busy help so much. I have one of those wagging antidepressant fur balls on the sofa next to me right now. She is a good girl and a great little chicken dog. I don't mean to complain, but a lot of times It just gets me and I have a little trouble overcoming it.

The chickens are great therapy. I will grind up some shells and offer them to them. I will also make them a warm spinach scramble this morning. We don't get light here until 10am right now. It's 23 degrees out with a wind chill of 3 degrees. I'm sure a warm breakfast would be comforting.

And yes...nothing to look forward to except longer days...and sweet Summer!
1f413.png

Hey sweetie. You are NOT complaining. I really know what it's like and so do so many other lovely people on this site. I have found that even separated by huge distances it is amazing that we can all reach out and support each other. Our chickens are even more special than we think as they have helped us to make lovely new friends. How wonderful is that?

They will love their lovely breakfast.
yippiechickie.gif
It was frosty this morning so I mixed layers pellets and a bit of porridge oats with warm water to set them up for the day.
big_smile.png

Aaaww I love the description of your little dog. Would love to see a picture, please.

Eddie, my tom cat is demanding my attention at the moment but will post some pictures of my lovely furry and feathery family asap so you can see who I am talking about.

Big hugs Paula x

Thanks so much for your words. I know I am so much more fortunate than so many in our world. I feel guilty sometimes thinking I might have it rough. :)

I will try to figure out how to post some pictures for you. She is not much to see...a one eyed pug...but the best friend I've ever had. I look forward to seeing your cats.

Thanks again, Denise

Back
Top Bottom