Any Artists in the house?

5BF634A2-FA3F-40B7-BCB2-570656159029.jpeg
47123BBF-B4E5-4629-8B5E-F58ADEB01F63.jpeg
Commission I am currently working on (just started!)

It's an on going challenge, however, I have curbed most of the unauthorized use of my art in the US. I make sure I remind people on the dog forums from time to time.

A copyright registration doesn't really prevent it from being stolen and used. But it will save extra time filing the DMCA with web hosts to have the image removed and it gives you more standing, to sue someone in court.

I do some art, usually digital, and here is a recent example of an animation I made. I'm not the best so prepare your eyes :lol: (Please don't steal lol)
S51khYujTSXCMLZc.gif

I just realized that this is one of my few accounts not called Nelson Denure. Here is proof that it's mine:

View attachment 1324549 View attachment 1324549

I don't think you have anything to worry about at this time, just something to educate yourself on for the future. (the way you are trying to prove that is your art, with the photo, I could do the same thing and say it's mine. ;) so it would never hold up in court). I am not directing my comment to anyone specifically either.

So... here is a brief explanation on copyright. As the creator you have automatic copyright according to the US Copyright laws. However, if you are going to publish it (post on line and make visible to the global public , etc) in order to really give you and your copyright some clout. Register your work (one piece) or body of work (several pieces) with the US copyright office. I use the online service at https://eco.copyright.gov It's inexpensive ($35.00) and easy. What this will do is prove and hold up in court, that you have created this piece of art and that you and/or the person you authorize, are the only one's who can say how, when and by who it is used.

I had one of those tee shirt companies refused to remove my art work from someone else's e-store unless I had a copyright registration number to prove it was my art work and not work of the person who stole it.

See, some people are of the opinion that if they take your art, add it to something else, that they "designed" that shirt. Well they did, but with parts that don't belong to them. So they actually cannot use it. Here is an example of one of the shirts and a mug where someone used my drawings (dogs) on a shirt and then tried to sell it.
26756081_6083867820836_3423463189772238848_n.png.jpg

safe_image.php

If I cannot contact the perpetrator directly and ask them to stop using my art, or if I can contact them and they refuse to remove my art work. I contact the web host who puts their web page on line. I file a DMCA against the user with the web host. It is surprising how belligerent people can be when they get caught or think they have every right to take your art work, modify it a little, call it theirs and make money with it. I actually just did this with someone on FaceBook yesterday. My biggest hurdle are other countries. The owner of the store yesterday is in Bulgaria, so the language barrier is an issue and they don't recognize our copyright laws. Though there are some international laws that come countries adhere to it, like the UK.

Hello,

I am an Oil Painter. I use Bob Ross Wet on Wet technique. I came across this thread and wanted to join. Here are some of the paintings I did:

E8C4E21C-DDDB-43F5-AF2F-0199FC90BCB8.jpeg

This is a seascape based off of a Bob Ross episode.

CFC1947C-170F-4C68-B362-8A44A4D2D4B7.jpeg

This is a painting I did awhile ago. I gave it to a coworker whose friend passed away to help her feel better.

I was doing a painting today, but thinner spilled on the canvas and ruined the bottom half.

What do you think?

Jared

Back
Top Bottom