Any Australian Shepherd owner here?

I haven't owned an Aussie personally, but there are many of them in my agility club and I've dog sat those belonging to friends. Wonderful dogs and a good choice for agility. Drivey, high energy, and intelligent but very biddable and devoted. Our main agility trainer, who also breeds and shows Aussies in the ASCA breed ring as well as agility, likes to say they are like a Border Collie with an off switch. Aussies aren't for people who want a couch potato. I nearly got one of my trainer's pups; the only reason I didn't was because I needed a smaller dog due to my home situation.

Our Thursday class had a bit of a Chirstmas photo shoot last week, so I've got lots of pictures of the Aussie gang which are the majority breed in our more serious agility classes.

Two of my trainer's Aussies, Cheers and Miley (son and mother)
47a1ce02b3127cce98548af0b55300000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

Her new pup, Pony (6 months)
47a1ce02b3127cce98548af7346400000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

Pixie
47a1ce02b3127cce98548ad3344000000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

Sunshine
47a1ce02b3127cce98548ac4b56700000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

Auggie and Boomer
47a1ce02b3127cce98548a6134f200000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

Molly
47a1ce02b3127cce98548a4734d400000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

Tess
47a1ce02b3127cce98548a06b5a500000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

Ransom and Pip (these guys do agility and breed ring, too)
47a1ce02b3127cce98548a2934ba00000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

My little girl, Windy (Okay, she's not an Aussie, but she thinks she is because these Aussies above are her favorite play friends)
47a1ce02b3127cce98548aff346c00000035101AaNmLJy4atI.jpg

Last edited:
Check out www.watson-ranch.com
Here is my SUPER MAN Aussie Chevy. The Watson's breed EXCEPTIONAL working cattle dog type Aussies
that aren't herd crazy and make EXCELLENT family dogs. I super highly recommend them if you are looking!

97498_img_0748.jpg

97498_img_0026.jpg

I have 3 aussies
1 mini blue merle female 1 year 5 months
1 standard blue merle male 7 mo
1 standard black tri male 7 mo

I dont know how i went my whole life without meeting this breed! I am hooked!

Thank you all so much for your posts. I love the stocky typ, thank you, ArkaFarmaMama, for the link. Wish they will be closer *sigh*

I'm not able to post photos yet (newbie) but I have two, and also volunteer with Aussie rescue. There are definitely some lines and individuals that are more friendly and accepting, and others that are very reserved. Email or PM me and I'd be happy to give you some possible sources.
smile.png

Robin

We have had Aussies for 25 years and they are my favorite breed of dog. As mentioned by others here, their loyalty, gentleness & intelligence make a very special companion &/or farm animal. As to aggressive aussies - yes we have also seen them over the last 10 years - typically, in our experience, these aggressive dogs are the newer "type" that has been developed - we have chosen to retain the "old style" larger, rough coated aussies and have had no aggression issues with them. My original grump was with us 17 years and was protective of her "family" but not aggressive. We have owned a total of 10 aussies (all but the original & my current male were animal shelter rescues - some kept short term until new homes found & some lived out their lives with us). My current male is 7 years old & I have a 8 mos old female... we also retain 2 mixed aussies from our shelter rescue days.
Most issues with aussies (as with many herding breeds) are from benign neglect... these dogs need to be a part of the family and need a "job" whether you spend a certain amount of time daily interacting with them, or train them for agility, show or herding. Ours are house dogs, herd dogs & my male comes to work with me daily. They will "herd" kids, poultry or cattle.
My 7 year old came from a woman name Connie Little from Clevland Georgia. She has some beautiful "old style" dogs that she shows. Her dogs are pricey depending on quality (ie... pet versus show). Her number (if you are interested) is 706-219-1370. Trying to upload an image of my 7year old male "Nop" from Connie Little - he is pet quality old style aussie.
37743_100_0552.jpg

Last edited:
just keep in mind not all aussies are friendly. my grandparents have one and it bites people it dont know. and it has to be put in its kennel when people come over. its friendlt to its owners and people it knows. but it will bite and break skin if it dont know u. and they are very hyper active and if not traind well can be a problem. this one starts fights woth other dogs and chases the horses and kills chickens and chases the cats and will hurt them if she gets ahold of them. lives with an elderly couple so it wasnt properly trained. i love aussies but this one is a horrible dog. ive tryed to train it for a year now and its stubborn. and wont stay in one spot. im ganna talk my grandparents into sending her to training classes. shes 3 years old.

Last edited:
Quote:
I could have written this post myself about getting attacked with no warning or provocation. I'm not afraid of them, but I would take a pit bull puppy in before one of them.

I also do agree with chillingwpeeps. Bloodlines and parents are a huge huge thing to look into. I know the big thing is to save all the shelter animals possible. But If I cant see/meet the parents, possible grandparents and see several generations of in depth health paperwork I cant bring it home with me. I have tiny kids at home and I cant in good faith bring home a puppy, no matter how sweet or lovable that I have no clue how it will turn out. I might take a grown dog that needs rehomed because of health issues, or owners moving though.

Last edited:
I want to say thank you for all your responding.

Like I wrote in my very first post here, I already have 2 muds with a lot of Aussi in them. They show everything you wrote here. Even Wizard nipped my nephew, because he need to take a closer look to my hubby's truck. By the way, my nephew turned 35 this year. I got Hexe in the age of 8 weeks and she never had a bad experience with people or other dogs, but she will bite other dogs, if they missbehave ( in her eyes). It took me a while to finde the key to that behavior, even I was a dogtrainer in Germany. Someone told me, that Herding Dogs don't like other dogs ( they don't know) stook their faces straight in hers. After this advice I watched it closer and it was the truth.........I found the key.
Both of my dogs are very protectiv if I'm alone @ home.
In my job I work with a lot of different dogs....................got bitten by little ones
wink.png

My favorite Aussies are the old typed ones with a lot of bone. If someone knowes a breeder in PA I would love to visit them.

FlyRobinFly were are you located? Please PM me. Thanks.

nop169 thanks for the phone# will call her soon.

Back
Top Bottom