Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

Welcome to the amazing world of fermentation!
1f642.png
I'll start here: the bane of lactofermentation is mold. It can be difficult to identify mold in ferments because there often strange clumps and lumps that are caused by yeast. Mold will appear as fuzzy, dusty-looking spots. Some people say it's ok to scrape it off (for example) sauerkraut, and eat what's beneath. Personally, I would toss anything that I thought had mold on it. There is a substance called kahm yeast, though, that looks a tiny bit like mold and caused me to throw out perfectly good ferments before I knew better. Get to know it here: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/natural-fermentation/white-film-cultured-vegetables-mold/.

Another important part when fermenting vegetables, in particular, is to make sure the brine has enough salt and that the brine covers the vegetables (or you risk mold). Fermentation weights (like Pickle Pebbles) are helpful for keeping the veggies below the brine.

The prevailing wisdom around fermenting says not to put different ferments too close together or they could cross-contaminate. I've never had that problem, but I also keep them a few feet apart, at least. I'd be most concerned about a vinegar cross-contaminating a probiotic drink like kombucha tea.

There is a plethora of resources out there. For books, Sandor Katz's "The Art of Fermentation", Julie O'Brien and Richard Climenhage's "Fresh and Fermented", Jill Ciciarelli's "Fermented", and Deirdre Rawling's "Fermented Foods for Health" are some of my resources. I have a bunch of fermented beverage-specific books, too, if you're interested in making those - let me know if you want more info about those.

Just a few useful websites:
-Cultures for Health: http://www.culturesforhealth.com
-Yemoos: http://www.yemoos.com
-Nourished Kitchen: http://nourishedkitchen.com/fermented-foods-for-gut-health/

Hope this is helpful in your journey! I'm always happy to talk ferments. lol

Last edited:
Its very bubbly, and should be sweet and gingery. This one needed more sugar. I kinda shoot from the hip when I make this, and I recently got more bottles and I haven't yet adjusted to more liquid yet. Ill get there :)
But the result of less sugar is a more dry, sour taste, and too much ginger makes your throat burn. Obviously too little ginger and it wont be gingery and I havn't yet had to much sugar. LOL
I have added more sugar to the other bottles and hope they will be better
fl.gif

Hey FF update
Ducks are luvin it! Yesterday I found some weird white stuff on top, but it didn't look like mold, so I gave it to them anyway...Stupid really lol
Anyway I was gonna ask you about it, but as I was going through all my subscriptions I found the ''want to do FF but cant get mother'' thread(yeah FoodFreedomNow I'm watching you
hide.gif
) and you talked about that kahm yeast. LOL. Talk about coincidence dude.

Hey FF update Ducks are luvin it! Yesterday I found some weird white stuff on top, but it didn't look like mold, so I gave it to them anyway...Stupid really lol Anyway I was gonna ask you about it, but as I was going through all my subscriptions I found the ''want to do FF but cant get mother'' thread(yeah FoodFreedomNow I'm watching you:oops: ) and you talked about that kahm yeast. LOL. Talk about coincidence dude.
1f601.png
That pesky kahm yeast! Glad you didn't toss it - been there and done that, what a waste. Thanks for the update - I'd have been surprised if the ducks didn't scarf it down (maybe after a transition period)...it's soupy and delicious, just the way they like it. Mine slurp it right up, too.

Trying something a bit different. Apples, carrots, grapes, cucumbers, and raw honey. I'll let it set for three days and see what happens. After one night it smells yummy.

That does look yummy! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

So, turns out it tastes like low sodium pickle juice. Not horrible, but I didn't expect the carrots to add such a dill flavor. The apple and grape are more of an after note. I reuse the produce once from each batch, just add a tbl spoon of honey. I also added some more apple to tone the next batch down.

Back
Top Bottom