Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Hello from the island of Kaua'i, where we have so many chickens running loose already, people from elsewhere might wonder how we can tell our own flocks from the ones that wander randomly by, or why we keep chickens at all.

I've been wondering what to do about the many troublesome roosters that are attracted to our free ranging flocks, and basically terrorize them.  I've got 5 sex link pullets, one feral hen that we've tamed enough to hand feed and pet,  and 5 Ameraucana/Easter Egger chicks that we got  from Kawamura Farms on May 1st.  The feral roosters routinely fly into our yard and chase our hen around and rip out her feathers/tear her comb when mounting her, and they peck and spur our pullets,  and chase them around. Unless we're there to swat them with the broom or something, they keep coming back.

We've been trapping the roosters and relocating them, but invariably, new roosters arrive within the next 72 hours.  Short of keeping the hen and pullets in runs/the coop 24/7 (which doesn't work all that well, as they go right up to the wire's mesh and threaten the pullets and hen, which makes them run for cover), any other advice on how to deal with the marauding roosters?  

I live on Kauai too I have over 15 breeds of chickens over 200 I keep for eggs and some bantams my son plays around with I got dogs on my farm and only 1 wild rooster come around sometime but the dog chase um away the rest are all in free range pens...I got 3 huge pens and they free range in all 3 I also got 1 really bossy Americana rooster that keep trespassers out....

Thanks for the advice Brada Puhi, and Mokihanakennels, I'll keep trapping and hope for the best. I've trapped another one since I last posted this, he was pecking at the pullets I was letting free range, but then he walked right into the trap.

Last edited:
aloha,
im from kauai and we own over 40 different breeds of chickens...ive been raising chickens now for about 2-3 years now and have a nice healthy flock...awesome egg producers as well and beautiful show chickens...right now my main breed of chickens that im trying to perfect is cochins, marans, and d'uccles...if theres any way i can help anyone please feel free to ask and ill try to help as much as i can...ill try to get up some pics of my chickens as soon as i can...

thank u and mahalo...
mia

Aloha ! I live in Arkansas now, but was born in the islands and lived there all my childhood and teen years. Ah I miss it... Anyways just wanna say hello. I have Easter Eggers standard size, a few bantams that are supposed to lay green eggs (we will see) and two Cochin bantams. Wonder if shipping eggs from the mainland to Hawaii is permissible or from Hawaii to the main land. Any one know? May be a way to do some swapping.

Not any in particular at the moment, but would be nice to know for the future and if anyone is interested in Easter Eggers when my ladies start to lay I would be happy to share eggs so someone in the islands could have a little variety in their flock. Do many people in Hawaii have EEs ? They are gaining popularity in the main land at least here in Arkansas. My girls are not laying yet, but my email is [email protected] for any who are interested. I am looking at getting into seramas also anyone have them in the islands?

I don't li
Hello from the island of Kaua'i, where we have so many chickens running loose already, people from elsewhere might wonder how we can tell our own flocks from the ones that wander randomly by, or why we keep chickens at all.

I've been wondering what to do about the many troublesome roosters that are attracted to our free ranging flocks, and basically terrorize them.  I've got 5 sex link pullets, one feral hen that we've tamed enough to hand feed and pet,  and 5 Ameraucana/Easter Egger chicks that we got  from Kawamura Farms on May 1st.  The feral roosters routinely fly into our yard and chase our hen around and rip out her feathers/tear her comb when mounting her, and they peck and spur our pullets,  and chase them around. Unless we're there to swat them with the broom or something, they keep coming back.

We've been trapping the roosters and relocating them, but invariably, new roosters arrive within the next 72 hours.  Short of keeping the hen and pullets in runs/the coop 24/7 (which doesn't work all that well, as they go right up to the wire's mesh and threaten the pullets and hen, which makes them run for cover), any other advice on how to deal with the marauding roosters?  

I don't love in Hawaii any more so I do not know what the rules are there. Here in Arkansas and living in the country if some thing is coming on your property and destroying or terrorizing your animals you can shoot it. We have to ask the neighbor to keep their animal controlled and if thy don't law told me shoot them. I live out of town and there is no human society to get strays so many of us adopt some out of the kindness of our hearts my lab mix was a a stray and he turned out to be the best dog. But anyways back to the subject as I said I don't live in Hawaii no more so I dunno what is expectable but out here they would just be eliminated or go in the pot for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom