Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

speyerk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Kapolei Hawaii
Trying to get a handle on how many Hawaii folks on BYC. I live in Leeward O'ahu and would like to know other people here that do the BYC thing. Would be nice to have a Hawaii community to bounce ideas and resources around with.

Aloha,

Kevin

Awesome, you'll love it. How many and what kind did you get? I have 3 rhode island reds and they all started laying eggs 2 weeks ago. do you have your brooding pen set up? What are you going to do for a coop? I went off the deep end with my coop, it weighs a ton. If you look at all the coop designs it is pretty easy to come up with a great functioning coop.

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you...

Welcome to the world of chicken ownership! they are good fun and a good source of breakfast.Other feed stores to be aware of: Nanakuli has a nice little feed store off of Hakimo road, and Waimanalo has a huge feed store that is great too! Good excuse to go for a drive in the country.... Once your birds are fully feathered, go on youtube and watch videos on how to trim the primary flight feathers. Chickens can fly a lot further than you would think, I lost one of my birds that way.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your neighborhood doesn't have any rules against chicken ownership, if they do, make sure you stay on good terms with all your neighbors!

Shut up! That is the most adorable thing I have ever seen. I just told my husband that I need one!!!
ep.gif

Hey Chillin, The best product by far, I've found for keeping chicken odor down is pine pellets for horse stall bedding. Available at feed stores, they break down to fine sawdust when moisture hits them. Still, their odor-absorbing properties go on for MONTHS. I put 8, 40 lb. bags inside my coop 2 years ago & there has never been any odor. People come over & comment that they can't smell anything. I cleaned it out once just because I know how much poop has accumulated since the hens sleep & eat in there (they free-range during the day). Try it out. Amazing stuff!
Aloha, Sandy

Awe...That must be hard. My flock is good! I thought I was going to lose one of my little month old cuckoo marans yesterday. It was falling over and acting strange. I felt so bad for it,, but after holding it and trying to give it some water I put it in a separate area so it would not get stepped on. I actually prayed for it, and ask the Lord if it was in his well if he would heal it. And then when I got home from work, everything seems fine. I was so thankful.

Back
Top Bottom