Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Welcome to the world of chicken ownership! they are good fun and a good source of breakfast.Other feed stores to be aware of: Nanakuli has a nice little feed store off of Hakimo road, and Waimanalo has a huge feed store that is great too! Good excuse to go for a drive in the country.... Once your birds are fully feathered, go on youtube and watch videos on how to trim the primary flight feathers. Chickens can fly a lot further than you would think, I lost one of my birds that way.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your neighborhood doesn't have any rules against chicken ownership, if they do, make sure you stay on good terms with all your neighbors!

Welcome to the forum. This is the only site you'll need for all your chicken questions and comments. I got three production browns from asagi. One has recently died from unknown reasons, but the other two look super healthy and still give me an egg a day. I'm a little concerned about eating the eggs cause I don't know what killed the other one. I'm probably going to worm the chickens before I resume egg consumption. Anyway....welcome and please feel free to ask any and all questions you may have.

I got three production browns from asagi.

I'm probably going to worm the chickens before I resume egg consumption.
I tried doing some research on "production browns", but I couldn't find much. At Asagi Hatchery, I saw a pic of the full-grown hens & they were reddish-brown in color. I think I remember one of the girls there saying they were a hybrid; do you know of what breed(s)?

I put half a cap of ACV in their water bowl whenever I clean it out, so hopefully that should help deal with any potential health issues my chicks have. Sorry that your chicken died.

Thanks! Yeah, I went to Asagi to buy some organic feed & I asked the girl there about it. Good to know.
smile.png

My chicks liked to scratch at & eat the pine shavings I had in the coop, so yesterday I transferred all of them to the poop drawer underneath. My sister bought some softwood bedding from Petco, but I don't think the chicks like it 'cause they now refuse to go into their bedding box except to perch on the edge of the box & poop on it. This evening, they started crying 'cause I think they couldn't find a place to lie down; I heard & saw them going from place to place trying to get comfortable. This went on for at least an hour. I grabbed a handful of the pine shavings from the poop drawer & that seemed to calm them down as they began their usual chirpy routine of happily eating them. I figured maybe they needed a soft place, so I threw down a towel. They liked it for a little while 'cause they started pecking & scratching at it. Now they're starting to get restless again. I'm thinking maybe I should put back the cardboard with pine shavings on top just to shut them up.

Edit: All's quiet on the chicken front again. I think they flew up to the roost to sleep.

Last edited:
Aloha from Kailua Beach......
I have three beautiful back yard chickens (RIH)....
El, Pollo, Loco.....
They love attention, pecking and scratching....
Other then the large amount of duky every day they are the best pets...
Three large eggs every day....
Aloha :)

Hi my name is Brian, I live in Manoa and have a jungle fowl rooster (Oz) and hen (Zoe) . We used to have 2 browns (Adeli and Omily) from Asagi but they got loose one day and some jerks from Waianae stole them :(
I also had a black bearded silkie from Asagi (Oliver) but she turned out to be a he, so he now lives on a friends property in Kaneohe.

Oh and I must add that Oz is a house chicken who thinks he is a dog...

Nice to see Hawaii people here. I have an indoor silkie pet chicken. She's a buff silkie about 5 mos old.

I also raise button quails.

I'm in Upper Manoa Valley, near the forest and raise rabbits & layer hens, but no roosters. Have had both occasional meat breeds but mostly layers for some years now. Started from the 80s when the State Farm Bureau Fair hatchery exhibit would give out chicks to anyone w/a container to take them home on last night.

My coop is a dog kennel from Home Depot. It has a hanging, 4x/a day, timed, deer feeder that holds 25 lbs. It lasts my flock about one week. They also have an automatic watering trough in the coop. My 1/4 acre yard is fenced so hens free range all day and most sleep inside the coop. Though they have nests in there, they prefer to lay in 2, favorite, wooden rabbit nest boxes on top of the cages.

I have about 1 pair each of Silver-Laced Wyandottes, Black Australorps, Commercial Red Layers and Light Brahmas from Asagi Hatchery, They were hatched in May. I have older (2 yrs.)hens also; Rhode Island Reds, Ameraucanas, Barred Plymouth Rocks from a friend's farm. I think that makes 18 total.

When they show they aren't laying anymore, I have a friend who makes Filipino green papaya stew w/the old ones.

Re: questions about limits to chickens on Oahu, my understanding of the City limit to poultry in residential areas is TWO (2). I am lucky that my neighbors haven't turned me in after all these years. I think that having no roosters helps and they can always get fresh eggs whenever they ask. I sell the eggs to friends, coworkers, & neighbors so the girls actually pay for themselves.

A friend who lives in Makiki w/chickens said that the Humane Society and the Honolulu Police Dept say that they will not take >2 cackling hen complaints seriously with all the animal abuse cases & going on around this island. They have bigger fish to fry.

Would love to hear from other backyard chicken raisers in C&C of Honolulu!

Yeah, the official law is 2, but as long as you dont live in a subdivision or any neighborhood that has an association you should be OK. Giving eggs to your neighbors helps keep people from turning you in.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom