Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Man, thats bad news for me. Thanks for the info.
No problem.

If you live in a subdivision or other gated communities, you are at the mercy of the HOA.

smile.png

Speyerk,

I was wondering if you have any problems with mongoose? My husband says that he has never seen any around our area so we are not planning to protect the run area from something digging underneath. Don't want to come home one day to a pile of feathers and no chickens.. :fl

As for the law... if your neighbors are cool with it then it should be okay.... Hopefully they don't rat you out. I know of some people in Mililani (with their strict HOA) that have a couple of chickens.

We dont have mongoose up here, thank goodness. I asked the chicken expert guys at Waimanalo feed store about predators, they said that mongoose will only attack small chickens (they are attracted to the peeping) but grown birds are not at risk. I dont think they burrow under fences, but a well fenced run should be enough. Once they are pullets, cats will not mess with them either. We even found a cat in our coop box one day!

I think you are right, as long as my neighbors are cool with it, i'm ok. I try to give out eggs and puakenikeni flowers to keep everyone happy so I dont get ratted out to the HOA.

Post pics of your birds, would be interested to see them!

Aloha,
Kevin

Hi guys, I just saw this thread. Christie Rhae is in HI, I don't know much more.
She is on the Marans thread alot.
Good luck to you with your zoning.

Aloha Speyerk. I'm raising chickens (and Muscovy ducks) in Hawaii too. On the windward side of Maui. Ours are getting pretty big and should start laying this fall.

In the next months we'll be building another coop and pen and ordering another (larger) batch of babies.

How are your hens doing?

They are big and healthy. Have been laying eggs about 6 days/week. Only problem is they like to squak whenever they see me. Fortunately our yard is walled in and the neighbors dont seem to hear them (I asked..). Saw your pics, wish I could get away with having that many birds. Nice flock!

Here are some pictures. My first groups is getting big, looks like miniature chickens.

Here are some pictures of the new chicks I picked up from Waimanalo this past week.

Back
Top Bottom