Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Lynn, 
It looks like there's some blood on the back of the yellow chick's head. Did it get hurt? 

No, she is not hurt. The red on her head is paint not blood. Waimanalo Feed Supply color coded some of their chicks that they received from the mainland to differentiate the breeds. I wish they didn't use red, makes it look like she is hurt... Thanks for the concern.

Hey we are on Kauai, just got some bantam chicks. We might get some from the hatchery on the other islands in the future. Got ours from a country store :)

I've got a friend in Palolo who has hens, I'll send him a link to the site
We used to live in Makakilo

Anyone ever check out Land O Lakes in Kapolei? I think a lot of the feed stores get their stuff from Land O Lakes, so I was thinking that it might be cheaper to just go straight to the source. I yelped the place, but not to helpful. I figured this site might be able to provide better info. Also, anyone know where I can get non-medicated game bird starter? NO ONE on the island (Oahu) has it now. Kaneohe Farm said they could get it in three weeks, but I kind of want it sooner. Thanks for the help.

I go to the feed store in Nanakuli, they have organic feed, might have non medicated chick food. Prices are good and is easy to find with google maps. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. But man, I'm already going to be coming from Hawaii Kai. Can you send me any further!?! I am willing to drive for a good deal, but.... I think next someone will send me to Wailua (which I also heard has a really good feed store). We should start keeping a list of necessary supplies and the best prices we can find on the island. For example, I've found that Waimanalo Feed is the cheapest place for the one quart waterers, the 18" metal slide top feeders...actually all waterers and feeders have been the cheapest there. I'm going to try and make it to Land O'Lakes today. I'll try and remember to let you guys know how much stuff costs. Cause who knows, if one of us finds a really good deal, it might be worth the drive.

Just got back from Land O'Lakes in "Kapolei". First thing, this place is not Kapolei. I don't think it could be further into Campbell industrial. In fact, it was the last road at the end of Kalaeloa. But, I was able to order my gamebird starter that will come in within three weeks. I am not looking forward to the trek back out there. Maybe I should have just gone out to Nanakuli. I didn't spend too much time in the store, but I did notice that the feed is about $5.00 cheaper than the other feed stores (I think this is because Land O'Lakes supplies all, most of, the other feed stores), but the feeders and waterers were more expensive than Waimanalo. If you need other kinds of feeds this is the place to go. Anyone need miniature pig feed? Or maybe goat feed? They've got it. Castration bands? Right next to the register. They ladies there were also very nice.

Hey guys, Salt Lake here. Nice to see some Hawaii people. I got 2 Production Browns from Asagi Hatchery & they're about 2 1/2 weeks old. I found this place near the hatchery called Green Hands of Aloha & I bought some food grade DE there. They also sell oyster shells in powder & chip form. The guy who works there told me chicken owners tend to get this product called EM1 which apparently helps to keep the smell down; I'll probably go back there if I need some. I recently started raising mealworms & I finally saw my 1st beetle today. I was busy the past few weeks trying to build my chicken coop & it was a great learning experience. Hope to trade some great ideas with you all.

Back
Top Bottom