Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Aloha,
We're a tiny Christian school on Maui with a burgeoning chicken farm. Right now we only have one hen, and one egg incubating. We can't wait to get more! Our hen is by far the best school pet we have ever had. :)

Cute! Must be a spoiled rotten hen you got. Can't wait to hear all about the egg. Keep us posted! I too have one hen and one egg in the bator. And just got a week old silkie. Oh and have some baby button quails that hatched this morning.

I can't even stand that level of cuteness! How small are those quails? Yes, our chicken is RIDICULOUSLY spoiled - here's a pic from today of some of my students vying for her attention with food.

Land O' Lakes is now called, Purina Animal Nutrition. I drive from Manoa to get chicken & rabbit feed. They do supply a lot of the other stores on the island & carry both Purina Layena & Hawaiian Grain lines of poultry feeds. I make the trip twice a month just for the price difference from the town stores, since I buy about 250# of rabbit feed & & 50# of chicken feed each time. Their phone # is 682-2022 or 682-8262. Talk to Joanie, Mary Lou or Myra & tell them that Sandy from the Rabbit Club referred you. Their shipments come in about every 2 weeks and you can special order certain items. Good supply of items for poultry, horses, dogs, birds & other small animals.

Address: 91-254 Olai St. Kapolei HI 96707. Take H1 til you see the Water Park on the hill & take the exit. Go straight down (makai) Kalaeloa Blvd. past Costco & the newspaper blg. til it T's off, turn right. First driveway. Open M-F only 8am-4 pm. Closed most holidays so plan accordingly.

Hey Chillin, The best product by far, I've found for keeping chicken odor down is pine pellets for horse stall bedding. Available at feed stores, they break down to fine sawdust when moisture hits them. Still, their odor-absorbing properties go on for MONTHS. I put 8, 40 lb. bags inside my coop 2 years ago & there has never been any odor. People come over & comment that they can't smell anything. I cleaned it out once just because I know how much poop has accumulated since the hens sleep & eat in there (they free-range during the day). Try it out. Amazing stuff!
Aloha, Sandy

This week has been pretty crappy, so I'm happy one of my hens finally laid an egg.
smile.png

A couple of days before she laid, both of them were starting to squat, which I learned was a sign of submission. Before that, they were mostly skitchy when I put my hands anywhere near them. It's funny to watch them fluff up when I pet them.

Right now I'm trying to find out what's up with the egg-layer; sometimes she holds her wings out to the side when walking around or eating, but it's not hot. The other hen doesn't display this behavior.

Congrats on your egg. My silkie finally laid her first egg too. Top is her now, bottom is a young her and her first egg.

Back
Top Bottom