Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Hooray! Glad you found a good home for them. The little Serama is so adorable! I would have tried to take it had it been a hen.

If I only had the time and space for them. I miss them so. They were all hatched by me and raised as indoor pets. They are super tame and spoiled. Lol how's your flock doing?

Awe...That must be hard. My flock is good! I thought I was going to lose one of my little month old cuckoo marans yesterday. It was falling over and acting strange. I felt so bad for it,, but after holding it and trying to give it some water I put it in a separate area so it would not get stepped on. I actually prayed for it, and ask the Lord if it was in his well if he would heal it. And then when I got home from work, everything seems fine. I was so thankful.

Also from the big island and new, as you probably deduced from my detached post ;)

So, a few Hawai'i-specific questions...
Do we really need grit, or is living in a cinder/ gravel run sufficient?
Can you use any beach sand in the coop for bedding? If not, what type is best and where do you find it?
Considering our climate, Is it a huge deal that my pop door on my coop is just a puka, not an actual close able door?

I have lots more that I can't think of right now, but any info would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo and Aloha!

you don't really need grit, most food now has a decent amount of calcium in it. i feed my chickens purina layena and their eggs turn out fine.
smile.png

Aloha from Kauai!

Glad to have found this forum, great resource.

Quick question, has anyone had success shipping hatching eggs to Hawaii? How often do they get turned around in the mail. Thanks.

Aloha from Kauai!  

Glad to have found this forum, great resource.

Quick question, has anyone had success shipping hatching eggs to Hawaii?  How often do they get turned around in the mail.  Thanks.

Hi there and welcome! I don't think we are allowed to have them shipped here. Which isn't fair. There's restriction and things, try google it. I remember I wanted to but found out we can't plus no one will ship it anyway lol. Here on oahu we go through asagi hatchery. I wonder what the restrictions are on shipping from island to island?

Also from the big island and new, as you probably deduced from my detached post ;)

Can you use any beach sand in the coop for bedding? If not, what type is best and where do you find it?
Considering our climate, Is it a huge deal that my pop door on my coop is just a puka, not an actual close able door?

I have lots more that I can't think of right now, but any info would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo and Aloha!

Aloha! I am on Oahu. I don't have a close able door on my coop either. I have heard horror stories about mongoose, so I think that is always a concern. I had a mongoose live under my shed back before I got my chickens. I had my rabbit in a run and the mongoose and rabbit would eat out of the same dish, side by side like it was the most normal thing in the world! I decided if they were ok with it, I was too. Best wishes to you!

Also from the big island and new, as you probably deduced from my detached post
wink.png

From Kauai,

very different from the Big Island, but... I have never given my chickens grit. No need, they find enough as long as they have room enough to scratch in the dirt. I bet they would find enough grit in the cinder/gravel run.

Using sand for bedding is new to me. Chickens, along with most birds, prefer to build nests from dried plant material, mainly grasses. Cut some long grass (approx. 1-2 ft.) and use that in their nesting boxes, it will dry down in time or you can dry it in the sun yourself. Imported hay will work fine, but you need to buy it.

Rats will eat small chicks. Have had many problems with big rats and small chicks! Keep em safe until they are big enough to fend for themselves, try 6-8 weeks. We don't have mongoose, yet, on Kauai, but I think they can do some damage!

Aloha!

Back
Top Bottom