Any idea which breed this guy is leaning toward?

kcfuerst

Crowing
17 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Kissee Mills, MO
One day I went out to the henhouse to collect eggs and got the bejeezes scared out of me when I opened the door and this little guy was having lunch with my girls as if he lived here. I scared him and he scared me. Holy cow, how on earth did he find my place, how did he get here, and how did he know chickens lived here? I may never know the answers, but in the meantime he is behaving himself and is treating my girls well. As long as the neighbors don't complain I guess he can stay.

Must be a mutt, but I wondered made of what? He seems on the small side for a rooster in my opinion, maybe weighs 4-6 lbs. Won't let me get too close to him, but comes when called for food. I have been listening to this little guy crow from somewhere across and down the creek from me for nearly a year. Surely he must have been dumped by somebody.

A few days after he mysteriously appeared, I learned that he had indeed been dumped and has been living all by himself in a tree across the creek about 300' downstream where someone was kind enough to offer him oatmeal and scraps. Other people weren't so nice and allowed their dogs to chase him. Still would like to know how he got here because everyone knows chicken can't "fly" like a bird, especially 300' over a creek full of water.

Thank for any interest from you all.

20210427_4.jpg
20210427_5.jpg
0210427_2.jpg

He's stunning! Does he have lacing or speckles on his chest? I can't quite tell. He could be a bantam mix or some breed I'm unfamiliar with. so many roosters look different from the hens in many breeds.
Edit: I think tonyroo is right, he certainly looks like he has phoenix in him.

Hope you can keep him and give him a good life after what he's been through. He's very pretty. But I'm new to chickens and don't know his breed. But wanted to just say hi and thank you for giving him a home!

Back
Top Bottom