Any one ever buy from Cackle hatchery?

I read in MurrayMcMurray's  magazine that they raise show chickens. And I never said that they didn't raise egg laying birds. I said they probably didn't breed many egg layers. They have a few, such as their pearl leghorns, they just mostly raise purebreds.

Well if that's what their magazine says then there marketing people have a good imagination because my chickens, while decent enough looking birds other than size, are not show birds. I honestly don't believe hatcheries breed for anything. They max produce chicks and keep them looking close to the way they should. They claim their dual purpose birds as layers and meat birds just like other places. If I wanted show birds I go to a known breeder not any large hatchery.

My 14 Black Sex Links from Ideal are not large but I got my first egg the day before they turned 5 months. They will be 6 months tomorrow and I already get some large and extra large eggs but some started later than others and I am getting some small eggs. I do not give them any extra light and we have had some bad weather including deep snow.

Well, blucoondawg, I don't necessarily think that all hatcheries breed for the best. I'm not positive that Murray does ( however they did say that they raise birds for show ) . I think that you and I both have seen birds from those hatcheries that breed " good enough " birds, and let me tell you, they are only just. But I did receive show birds from Cackle Hatchery and they did well in different shows. Perhaps though, and I'll keep my mind open, It was only by chance. Perhaps not , as well. Also, I have received a few defective birds (jersey giants) from the same hatchery. It's all in the strain, I guess.

And I'm sorry for saying your birds were probably still too young- I didn't know whether or not you were well acquainted with raising chickens. Apparantly you are so I'm sure you know whether or not they're full grown.

I used to like cackle hatchery. They were my favorite, until this last order. Ordered the 15 assorted turkey special. Got 8 black Spanish and 8 blue slate. One black Spanish was doa, but I figured it was due to shipping, then a few hours another black Spanish got all weak and woozy and died, then the next day 2 more, now I've got another one on the way out and I'm getting a good bit angry. There's something wrong with these poults. If not then the blue slate would be having trouble, or the 5 brown leghorns also on the order would be having troubles. But it's only the black Spanish turkeys that aren't making it.

Back
Top Bottom