Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I have a BO called Bella, she is 22 weeks, still waiting for the first egg. Shes not ready yet though but wish she would hurry! :)

Oh I am so excited to have another member here!

to our thread DuckieTam! I am WAY ENVIOUS that you have eggs at 19 weeks, and so many since! Super, and Congrats,, thanks for the pictures! May I ask what breed they are, and also are you using any light supplement?

My girls are 19 weeks today, and we had such a beautiful spring like day today, so I spent all day outside doing chores, getting ready for winter and stringing a few Holiday lights. I had my first hawk attempt yesterday, and about 3:30pm three of them were back, up high in the trees, so I had to put the girls up early instead of letting them make their way at dusk. I hope this isn't a daily thing now. I also took the wire off the nest boxes, cleaned them out, and bedding them down with fresh straw, and put the wooden eggs in... hint, hint ladies!

I was able to get a picture of two of my girls while they visited with me while I was cleaning.

This is Kate, who is one of the girls who has started growing her combs and waddles. They are redding up too.

This is one of my red sex linked girls named Matilda

I think we have a ways to go don't ya think?
SpikesChooks,

Did your girls start doing their egg songs before they actually laid the egg, or did it start with the arrival of their first egg?
Thank you for the info about the squatting. Learning, learning, learning!

I want some eggs!

MB
Melabella I was so excited for you when I saw the eggs in our nesting boxes,now I see they fake.
jumpy.gif

I have five 14 week old golden comets, that I am waiting for to start laying. I am finally getting them settled into the rest of my 11 8 month old comets. My older girls started laying at 14 weeks. Which was early. Starting to see changes in the crowns. None of them are squatting yet. But I am keeping my eye on them. I get 10 - 11 eggs a day. I think my young girls are going to take longer than my older ones did. Due to the stress of being introduced to the flock.

I have a BO called Bella, she is 22 weeks, still waiting for the first egg. Shes not ready yet though but wish she would hurry! :)
to the Thread Johnn! I see you have some older girls there as well, are they laying? I have read that BO's take a bit longer. So happy you've joined us, and keep the pictures coming!

MB

Melabella I was so excited for you when I saw the eggs in our nesting boxes,now I see they fake.
jumpy.gif
LoL Nova,

I get excited just seeing them every morning! They investigated and went inside the boxes, but pop right out. They look at the eggs, and peck at them a bit....one of the girls even sat down for a bit. Other than some red combs and waddles, I see no other signs... no squatting, nothing remotly like an egg song practice, no mating.... N A D A! I guess week 19 won't be it.... there is always week 20!

MB

I have five 14 week old golden comets, that I am waiting for to start laying. I am finally getting them settled into the rest of my 11 8 month old comets. My older girls started laying at 14 weeks. Which was early. Starting to see changes in the crowns. None of them are squatting yet. But I am keeping my eye on them. I get 10 - 11 eggs a day. I think my young girls are going to take longer than my older ones did. Due to the stress of being introduced to the flock.
Welcome to the thread DianaMallory! So happy to have another BYC friend waiting with us!

I have two Golden Buffs ( red sex link), I think that is basically the same as Golden Comets. Where did you get your girls from. My flock all came from Meyer Hatchery. I picked them as they are supposed to be early layers and also lay a lot of eggs. I can't believe your older birds started laying at 14 weeks,, that is the earliest I have heard! Congrats!
Do you think the cold and shorter days are the reason that your second set of birds are laying a bit later?

Would love to see some pictures of your birds, and thanks for posting!

MB

Those are very pretty birds John. I had heard the same about them taking longer then other birds. It will be great to hear when you get eggs. I got some new chicks today. Just 3... 2 are Murans and 1 is a gold sex linked. The gold is 4 weeks old and the Murans are 1 week old so I have a long time for them to grow up. My Americans are safe and sound... does it sound strange?... I have them in my room.
hide.gif
.. I will spoil them for a few days... They can go out during the day.... I can spoil them until it is safe..
wink.png

Yep i have 3 BO's the older ones are laying, (well one is moulting) the other is Bellas mother and shes the only hen laying out of mine now, heres a more clear pic of bella :) (thats Bella and her mother)

Back
Top Bottom