Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

May I join in? I have three girls; two buff orpingtons and a speckeled sussex. They are 25 weeks old and I have yet to see an egg. One buff has a bright red comb and wattles as well as the speckeled sussex. I've heard the egg song from but alas no egg, I am an anxious mama.

May I join in? I have three girls; two buff orpingtons and a speckeled sussex. They are 25 weeks old and I have yet to see an egg. One buff has a bright red comb and wattles as well as the speckeled sussex. I've heard the egg song from but alas no egg, I am an anxious mama.
You are soooooooo close!!!! hope you get a egg really soon!
fl.gif

to the thread earthfaerie! My flock is 23 weeks, and I am waiting and waiting too! Glad you joined us, and we LOVE pictures! Send us some of your girls. I love BO's, they are beautiful!

Welcome to BYC as well!
MB

My three girls (buff orphington, australorp, and silver laced wyandette) are 23 weeks and I finally got an egg on Christmas! We have been getting about an egg a day since then, but man was I impatient for those eggs. The weather in MN is not very helpful for the wait! Good luck, I am sure they will lay soon!

My three girls (buff orphington, australorp, and silver laced wyandette) are 23 weeks and I finally got an egg on Christmas! We have been getting about an egg a day since then, but man was I impatient for those eggs. The weather in MN is not very helpful for the wait! Good luck, I am sure they will lay soon!
Hi KristyMN,

Glad to have you! Wow,,, it better be this week for me or I think I am going to set out the soup pot with some simmering veggies to give them a hint! lol..jk, BUT,, I too am very impatient! My DD thought for sure Christmas there would be an egg out there, alas, not to be. I am thinking my Roo is messing things up a bit, but I have no scientific fact for that. Heck, I have to blame someone!

MB

Hi KristyMN,

Glad to have you! Wow,,, it better be this week for me or I think I am going to set out the soup pot with some simmering veggies to give them a hint! lol..jk, BUT,, I too am very impatient! My DD thought for sure Christmas there would be an egg out there, alas, not to be. I am thinking my Roo is messing things up a bit, but I have no scientific fact for that. Heck, I have to blame someone!

MB
That is funny. I was jokingly telling my girls that I was sharpening my knives. I think the threat worked - ha! It was worth the wait.

Last edited:
It's not so bad for me because I already have two layers but man! my BR's are making me wait forever!!! by this time my production red was laying! I thought BR's were early layers
hmm.png

As it was described in Meyer's catalog, the production reds were the earliest, followed by the BR's the BA's and the RIR's.. This is why I picked those 4 breeds. I threw in Columbian Wyandottes for a splash of white..... I hear ya Crafty... what the heck girls!

Of my girls, my RIR's have the largetst combs and waddles. One of my pr's has large comb and waddles, and one BA. They aren't even receptive to the roo's advances.. not squatting for him or me, and no egg song like sounds, or nesting behavior...

would make me so happy to have an egg while I am out freezing my butt off mucking stalls...come on ladies!

MB

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Melabella I have two Americanas of the older birds. I know... I wish I still had those RIRs.... oh well... I am adding more and more re-enforcement to my bird area so I will not lose any more to dogs. But today is a happy day. I got 2 eggs today! The red headed girl laid her 1st egg. About an hour later the other laid her 4Th egg. It was fun to be out there for it. She had been sitting for a while after shifting a lot. My other girl came over to give her some consolation.

An Encouraging word or two to help the first timer.

Then I seen her standing. I went to look and Ploop! I see it fall out of her. I had my camera ready... too bad it was not set for video but I really did not think I was going to catch her at it. This is like ... 2 seconds after it was laid.

time for a rest.

I did read that as well... That is way I bought 2 RIRs. I got 2 birds each from Murray McMurray... Its too bad about the dog thing. My RIR looked bigger before the dogs got them. I bet they would have been laying before the Americanas. I thought that your RIR would beat my 2 girls. Maybe it is due to my bringing them inside ... ? My friend got some Americanas at the same time from the same shipment. None of her new birds are laying yet. She also got a Black star and Red stars.

Aunt B.... Congrats
celebrate.gif
.... WOW... that is a pink egg. LUV it...

Back
Top Bottom