Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Brooster they are both so cute. You have a beautiful daughter. Congrats on the hatching. I would be staring at the incubator all day to. I think today I am going to go get my RIR chicks. I want to replace the ones I lost. In about a week or 2 the other feed store will have Buff Orphintons. I would like at least one of those. And when he gets those Blue Andalusian... They lay white eggs but that should give me a nice verity of egg color. Though a pink egg sounds like a lot of fun.Wow ... the chickens just add up fast. I only have 3 laying birds (1 ambitious Turkey has laid about 10 eggs. She should be done soon) I have about 55 eggs for this month so far...
I think I will make a quiche soon... I want to try homemade mayonnaise. The Chef that is head of the Culinary Arts department at the collage that I work at told me that we can separate the yokes and the whites and freeze them separately. Then you can still use them for baking. That should help when all our girls slow down laying.
Debbie I love your new girls. I am egg-cited for you and to see what color they will lay. I did try the link for Amercauna... I did not have a good experience with that. Some people can be so picky about details. I understand they are trying to get some breed recognition and there are some unscrupulous people out there... but I like my birds just the way they are. Do you have a preference... Blue, Green or Pink? I was kind of hoping for two different colors... and I did want a blue... But I think I would have been happy with anything Good luck! I am Egg-cited for you.
And Congrats Skeeter.. That is a beautiful Brown.
And I am so thrilled that this thread keeps going. I learned so much more then I had ever expected just from this thread and the links that I have gotten. I still check out that link for hurricane ridge in Olympic national park. Beautiful and the hen cam one. Thanks everyone for being you!
hugs.gif

Diamonds ... who needs diamonds?... I would name a white or black chicken diamond.. that is all I need.
lol.png
I think one of my new RIR will be a Ruby... how about Topaz for the BO? and one of the Blue Andalusian can be Pearl.

Brooster they are both so cute. You have a beautiful daughter. Congrats on the hatching. I would be staring at the incubator all day to. I think today I am going to go get my RIR chicks. I want to replace the ones I lost. In about a week or 2 the other feed store will have Buff Orphintons. I would like at least one of those. And when he gets those Blue Andalusian... They lay white eggs but that should give me a nice verity of egg color. Though a pink egg sounds like a lot of fun.Wow ... the chickens just add up fast. I only have 3 laying birds (1 ambitious Turkey has laid about 10 eggs. She should be done soon) I have about 55 eggs for this month so far...
I think I will make a quiche soon... I want to try homemade mayonnaise. The Chef that is head of the Culinary Arts department at the collage that I work at told me that we can separate the yokes and the whites and freeze them separately. Then you can still use them for baking. That should help when all our girls slow down laying.
Debbie I love your new girls. I am egg-cited for you and to see what color they will lay. I did try the link for Amercauna... I did not have a good experience with that. Some people can be so picky about details. I understand they are trying to get some breed recognition and there are some unscrupulous people out there... but I like my birds just the way they are. Do you have a preference... Blue, Green or Pink? I was kind of hoping for two different colors... and I did want a blue... But I think I would have been happy with anything Good luck! I am Egg-cited for you.
And Congrats Skeeter.. That is a beautiful Brown.
And I am so thrilled that this thread keeps going. I learned so much more then I had ever expected just from this thread and the links that I have gotten. I still check out that link for hurricane ridge in Olympic national park. Beautiful and the hen cam one. Thanks everyone for being you!
hugs.gif

Diamonds ... who needs diamonds?... I would name a white or black chicken diamond.. that is all I need.
lol.png
I think one of my new RIR will be a Ruby... how about Topaz for the BO? and one of the Blue Andalusian can be Pearl.

I love the idea of naming birds after gemstones. All the women in my mom's family are named after gemstones. My mom is Ruby. My grandma is Opal. Although I'm not sure how they'd feel if I continued that tradition with my chickens. haha.

A lot of Ameraucana breeders get very worked up about EEs. I raise both. I actually love the variety in the EEs, and the surprises you get when you hatch them, but I also understand the need to have breed standards. All of the EEs I have now where adopted from a farmer who lost her farm. She had to rehome 100 chickens. I asked her if they were true Ameraucanas or EEs. She said definitely Ameraucanas, but when they got here they were obviously EEs. I don't think she intended to lie. The feed store where she bought them told her they were Ameraucanas. It didn't really bother me. I kept them anyway. They're beautiful. I had a good size flock of BBS Ameraucanas that I hatched last spring, but lost both my roosters and several of the hens in a raccoon massacre last fall. So I was hoping to replace them with more Ameraucanas. But now that I have the EEs, I love the different personalities, and the surprise egg colors. I'll probably hatch more Ameraucanas this summer. My goal is to have a flock of Ameraucanas, a flock of Marans, and a separate flock of EEs and OEs. I want the rainbow egg basket.

Well, I'm so happy for all of you and your new eggs....i'm still waiting. My Lucy was in and out of her nest this morning ---still hoping but again, I wasn't expecting anything until late February so I shouldn't be too disappointed. They will be turning 20 weeks old this coming Tuesday and it's been soooo cold. Although, calling for 2 days in the 50s this week---of course, followed by the low 20s again by next weekend -- ugh.

Oh, and just wondering, what do you do for your chickens when you go on a vacation, if you go on a vacation other than hire someone to look after your flock.

Now that is a hubby who desearves all the affection you can give him! My husband Rich is amazing, when I said I wanted chickens,, he said...ok! I think this whole chicken thing has crept up on him. He gets up very early to drive to work, but lets the chickens out first. He gets a kick out of Duke, who crows away when he imitates him. When I told him I might replace him with a nice Heritage Barred Rock rooster, he got this look on his face as if to say,,, "Not Duke!".

Lucky you could drive to just pick up two EE's. I have to start to investigate some reputable breeders within a car drive, that's neat! Where did you get yours?

MB
AT Baxter Barn in Falls City Wa. http://www.baxterbarn.org/ Love these guys!!!

Oh, and just wondering, what do you do for your chickens when you go on a vacation, if you go on a vacation other than hire someone to look after your flock.
I have a wonderful friend that I tell her my girls are as much her girls too :) She loves when we go somewhere. Then she constantly stops by to collect the eggs and water and feed them :) I think if you asked around someone would love to do it and let them have any eggs layed while you're gone

I have a neighbor stop in and feed/water and gather eggs once a day while we're gone. If we're gone for more than a weekend, we usually get someone to house sit. Then they can look after all the animals, and let the chickens free range during the day.

what's vacation?

jk,, it's been sooooo long......

Ohhh how pretty, Johnn . Buff orphingtons right? I hope to get one of those in a couple of weeks. Yaah... I did pickup 2 RIR chicks today.
yesss.gif
I am going to wait before i name them for sure. Could be a Ruby and a Garnet...
I used to go on vacation a lot with my mom. But not for the last 3 years. That is when we bought the house and now with have so many animals... if we go any were we go on separate trips and not for that long. But there are friends of mine that would house sit for us if we choose to go. I am going on a mini cruse in March but not my Mom... She gets too seasick. There is a friend of mine that is close by... She hires the neighbor kids to take care of her animals and they can keep the eggs they find.
I love the flocks you have and will have Brooster. I love all the different colors that will be in your and all of our baskets. I think that is part of why I want Blue Andalusians again. Not only are they a beautiful gray color but the white eggs will really stand out as different in our colorful baskets.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom