Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

BMom~ my son is intolerant of wheat too. It took us until he is 3 1/2 to get a dr.to figure it out. He is sooo close to being potty trained :)
Still no eggs here. They were playing dumb for me though... Ihad my husband go out and check them one evening b/c I was really tired... they put themselves to bed on the roost! So all this time, they were waiting for me to come and pick them up to put them to bed. I always waited til sunset to do it, they must have thought mom wasn't coming at all. Little boogers were being babies, AND not giving eggs.

Hello all. I had a long work day. My Tuesdays are the longest at 10.5 hrs. No complaints, I like what I do... just tired. But I had to read all the post that I missed. It is a great chicken show that we all have and I had to catch up on everyone's tales. I love it. I did take some new pics and I will try to put them up tomorrow. Loved all the new pics from everyone. And congrats to all the new eggs. & I would love some more egg recipes too....
droolin.gif

I had to turn in another horse that was abandoned here. This one was a mare that was way underweight, bad hoofs and only about 4 or 5 yrs old. Poor thing. I found out that the first horse I turned in actually had a broken leg. It had healed wrong and they had to put him down. They people who had him must not have had a vet check him out..he had good weight on him and his hoofs looked good with recent shoes... they may have still been ridding him even though he was lame. How horrible that people do not take care of the creatures that we choose to have. Either way... I hope this mare has better luck.

My turkey seems to have stopped laying. That is OK... she did great. 22 eggs! I am thrilled. So I am having 2 egg days. Just waiting on Amber... She is now 14 weeks old and she is a Gold Star. She is getting big and fluffy but her wattles and comb are not yet that big nor red. I am look her over everyday to see if she looks different;)
Well, I am tired. I am off to bed. Lucky tomorrow is easy work day but it is an early one. Have a wonderful night everyone and may your egg dreams come true...
Oh that is so difficult Cat, not sure what I would do if people were dropping off horses on my place. That is difficult stuff. The work I do with rehoming Thoroughbreds is heartwrenching. I agree, that people just take on way more than they can chew. You should see the way my lawn ornament Haflinger gets treated around here. We joke all the time about it, I have been wanting to get her broke to drive, that is one thing I have never done, and want to find someone to do it for me. She is a stunner too. I hope your mare has better luck finding a home than the last one. Thank you for being a responsible animal owner. It matters, one horse at a time!

I will post the two recipes I have for eggs. One is a breakfast dish, the other Ricott pie my grandmother made at Easter, it's a killer. LOVe IT.

I absolutely love my red sex links Cat, one of them , Sadie is my favorite bird of the flock. She always comes to say hello, is very curious, and is the scrawniest one of the bunch, but boy does she lay the largest, darkest huge eggs. They weigh ex large to Jumbo almost every day. I can see why people have these when they sell eggs. Even when she is done laying, I will keep her for a pet, she is quite the chicken. I think all my girls would be a bit friendlier if I didn't have a roo, he keeps them away and on their toes. I guess I don't mind if it keeps them safe, they are out a lot and so far, 7 months into owning them, I still have them all.

Good Morning all!

MB

Yesterday was only a one egg day. 2 of my girls are now on the exact same schedule, taking the same day off every week. I'm still dying for my other girls to start laying. My level of anticipation has now climbed nearly back to where it was when I was waiting for the first girls to start laying! The fun thing about waiting for green and blue egg layers is that you have no idea what color their first egg will be.

I'm all for sharing recipes. I used to own a bakery/coffee shop, and my head is full of recipes that I still have memorized. The other day my BF told me I had to stop making cookies. That's when I knew I had taken my baking too far. I won't tell you how many cookies I made last week, but he never gets tired of cookies. I'm just so excited to use up all the eggs! I also started selling my eggs to a bakery near my house. They make the best cakes and pies. They said they were going to use the eggs in the Valentines Day mousse. (Angela, have you ever eaten at Eat Crow in Seven Devils? mmm mmm)

I know we're all bird lovers here, so I thought some of you might be interested in joining the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend. I'm hoping for decent weather. I'm not fond of counting birds in the rain.
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc

The other day my BF told me I had to stop making cookies. That's when I knew I had taken my baking too far. I won't tell you how many cookies I made last week, but he never gets tired of cookies.
Ohhhhh, I want a new best friend who makes too many cookies!

I can't wait to see what color those eggs are either Brooster. I am seriously going to get some blue/green egg layers this year!

MB

I know we're all bird lovers here, so I thought some of you might be interested in joining the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend. I'm hoping for decent weather. I'm not fond of counting birds in the rain.
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc
Ok Brooster, exactly what I need, another website to blow 25 minutes a morning on! My sister has given up the internet for Lent, she is way stronger than I. That is super, and a way cool site. I have so many species of birds around me, I just learned the difference between a crow and a raven,,, Thanks for posting! The other day I was driving to town, and at the end of our cross street, I spotted the most beautiful, large bald eagle. SO wonderful to see, but was glad I was 3 miles from my house! I'm sure they would love an easy meal of chicken!

MB

Last edited:
Ok Brooster, exactly what I need, another website to blow 25 minutes a morning on! My sister has given up the internet for Lent, she is way stronger than I. That is super, and a way cool site. I have so many species of birds around me, I just learned the difference between a crow and a raven,,, Thanks for posting! The other day I was driving to town, and at the end of our cross street, I spotted the most beautiful, large bald eagle. SO wonderful to see, but was glad I was 3 miles from my house! I'm sure they would love an easy meal of chicken!

MB

Sorry! haha I know...I don't need any more distractions on the internet! I admire your sister. I wish I had the strength. The internet is a serious blow to my productivity. I manage my own time and I'm not very good at it. I don't have a boss around, just deadlines to meet. I'm "at work" right now for example. I cringe when I think how much I could be getting done without that distraction. I never miss a publishing deadline, but I could probably take on new publishing projects in addition if I could just....stay... on... task.

I've only seen a bald eagle once in the wild, and it was magical. Oh my gosh, can you imagine watching a bald eagle carry off one of your chickens? That would be surreal. My favorite birds here are the great blue herons. They're really common, but I never get tired of watching them follow the river, just above the water. Their wing span is almost as wide as the river in some spots.

OK, I snuck out to take a peak and.....NOTHING Can't wait to celebrate with you all.
How crazy is it that I am thinking of people I have never met before I check my coop in
hopes to celebrate with you. You are the only folks who get as excited about all the
chicken antics as I do. Until then, I will continue to live vicariously through those of
you receiving eggs.
caf.gif

Although the nest box was empty, I did get a great laugh when one of our girls went
chasing after our 60 lb dog trying to get hold of a dried pigs ear treat in the dogs mouth.
The dog was hiding and running away from the chicken. Had to actually let her go back
into the house to enjoy her treat. Love my reality chicken shows

You will get some soon.
Be sure to take a picture.

Oh that is so difficult Cat, not sure what I would do if people were dropping off horses on my place. That is difficult stuff. The work I do with rehoming Thoroughbreds is heartwrenching. I agree, that people just take on way more than they can chew. You should see the way my lawn ornament Haflinger gets treated around here. We joke all the time about it, I have been wanting to get her broke to drive, that is one thing I have never done, and want to find someone to do it for me. She is a stunner too. I hope your mare has better luck finding a home than the last one. Thank you for being a responsible animal owner. It matters, one horse at a time!

I will post the two recipes I have for eggs. One is a breakfast dish, the other Ricott pie my grandmother made at Easter, it's a killer. LOVe IT.

I absolutely love my red sex links Cat, one of them , Sadie is my favorite bird of the flock. She always comes to say hello, is very curious, and is the scrawniest one of the bunch, but boy does she lay the largest, darkest huge eggs. They weigh ex large to Jumbo almost every day. I can see why people have these when they sell eggs. Even when she is done laying, I will keep her for a pet, she is quite the chicken. I think all my girls would be a bit friendlier if I didn't have a roo, he keeps them away and on their toes. I guess I don't mind if it keeps them safe, they are out a lot and so far, 7 months into owning them, I still have them all.

Good Morning all!

MB

So sad about that mare.... People never cease to amaze me. As an equine cruelty investigator, I have seen way too much of that sort of thing. It is extremely expensive to bring a horse back when they have lost so much weight. Most people cannot afford to do it properly and horses don't survive. We have seen a lot more neglect with the economy in such a slump and so many people out of work and living on unemployment. Sad for the animals.....

Does anyone have more than one rooster with their flock? I have tried adding a second one to my flock of 21 hens but when I add the new boy, he is so looney to breed them that he chases the hens all over and is just NOT good with them at all. My cream legbar roo is just wonderful. He takes care of the hens, is never rough with them and always lets them know when treats are found. It really is impressive how he is with them.

Right now I have 4 roosters in a batchelor pen but I'd like to add another one to the flock. I just need him to chill out so he doesn't scare the hens and chase them so much. Any ideas?

Angela

So sad about that mare.... People never cease to amaze me. As an equine cruelty investigator, I have seen way too much of that sort of thing. It is extremely expensive to bring a horse back when they have lost so much weight. Most people cannot afford to do it properly and horses don't survive. We have seen a lot more neglect with the economy in such a slump and so many people out of work and living on unemployment. Sad for the animals.....

Does anyone have more than one rooster with their flock? I have tried adding a second one to my flock of 21 hens but when I add the new boy, he is so looney to breed them that he chases the hens all over and is just NOT good with them at all. My cream legbar roo is just wonderful. He takes care of the hens, is never rough with them and always lets them know when treats are found. It really is impressive how he is with them.

Right now I have 4 roosters in a batchelor pen but I'd like to add another one to the flock. I just need him to chill out so he doesn't scare the hens and chase them so much. Any ideas?

Angela

I always like to keep more than one rooster with my flock. It can be tricky. There's always a dominant roo, and if when you introduce a new one, things can be lively until the new social order settles down. I find the younger roos like to try to assert dominance over the older ones. I try to keep the new roo enclosed within the flock for 2-3 weeks, so they can get used to each without fighting before setting him free among them. There's really no way to avoid at least some fighting, but if your other roo is docile, it should settle down fairly quickly. It upsets the social order, and they have to work it out amongst themselves. If the new roo succeeds in becoming dominant, the hens will submit to him, and he'll get to choose even the new pecking order. His favorite hens will become the dominant hens. And you really can't stop him from chasing them around. If that rooster hasn't had access to hens until now, he's very excited for the opportunity. He'll get more gentle as they get used to him. He won't have to work as hard to win them over.

Angela
Hi Angela,

What does the cream legbar roo do when the teenager is running around like a silly billy? Just curious. This brings me to a question I've been wondering about. I am thinking of getting a second small flock. About the same size as my current one, 10 girls with a roo. I was thinking of replicating the coop and run I currently have, and setting it up across this barnyard from the other coop. The thought would be one flock would get to free range in the am, the other in the pm. Eventually the goal would be as the second flock grew up and were old enough, could these two flocks be left out simultaneously? Would they not mess with each other, and just peacefully coexist? I have to put a lot of thinking and planning into it, and also $$ so am starting to educate myself as to what I have to do. What are your thoughts Brooster?

MB

Back
Top Bottom